I have a 1987 Squire Stratocaster made in Japan, serial number beginning with E.
I bought it new, and was involved in an accident the following day. For a variety of reasons, I never played it. Recently, I finally got around to beginning to play guitar. The guitar was still in tune after sitting in the case for 20+ years!
Anyhow, I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to upgrade the hardware on this guitar.
Thanks
I say keep it stock.

'80's Squiers were great guitars as is and replacing it would kill the mojo.
Unless any of the hardware is corroded then its probably fine as is, and all I would change would be the pickups if you don't like the sound. 80's Japan squiers were made pretty much the same as the MIJ Fenders at the time.

However, just like any strat it might still benefit from upgraded after market hardware such as callaham and such.

/most likely fine as is since your just gettin into it
NO!!! JV squiers are highly collectable, you're lucky you have one. I've never played one, but to be perfectly honest I like squiers, anyone who has a problem can **** off, but I don't have a JV Squier which are renowned as just as good, if not better, than regular fender guitars.
Quote by david_highland
NO!!! JV squiers are highly collectable, you're lucky you have one. I've never played one, but to be perfectly honest I like squiers, anyone who has a problem can **** off, but I don't have a JV Squier which are renowned as just as good, if not better, than regular fender guitars.

It's not a JV...

He mentioned the serial number started with E.

How can you like something you haven't played?
dude the 80's were a great time for fender/squire i say keep it as is, you got a gem on ur hands there.
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Quote by Opethfan1
dude the 80's were a great time for fender/squire i say keep it as is, you got a gem on ur hands there.

They were a great time for Fender Japan, not so much the rest of the world.

But yeah, I say just play the guitar for now as long as they are now issues with tuning stability etc. If you really want to invest money in your hobby, then a decent amp (assuming you've still got whatever starter amp you bought with it) is always a good idea.

Oh...and pictures of the Strat please!
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay