I have noticed how my pitch would go off – high – when leaving the guitar (in its case) overnight.

The guitar is an American Strat with a standard 2 point tremolo. I have put 5 springs in the tremolo and tighten the claws really tight so to avoid any movement.

Yet, my guitar would periodically go out of tune, but instead of dropping pitch – it actually goes up – specifically 3rd, 4th and 5th strings.

I just put a fresh set of strnigs, but same thing happens.

Occasionally, it would even go high after a few songs...

What would be the reason (and solution)?
Could be because of the temperature. When the temperature drops at night, metal (strings) tend to shrink a bit, increasing the tension so the pitch goes up.
If it happens when you're playing, you possibly need your nut looked after by a tech. Sometimes a string gets 'stuck' in the nut, this is the case when you hear a "ping" when you use your tremolo arm.
Quote by Donka
Could be because of the temperature. When the temperature drops at night, metal (strings) tend to shrink a bit, increasing the tension so the pitch goes up.
If it happens when you're playing, you possibly need your nut looked after by a tech. Sometimes a string gets 'stuck' in the nut, this is the case when you hear a "ping" when you use your tremolo arm.

The guitar stays in my house so temperature conditions are the same throughout the day / night... at least now in the summer.

As for the nut - I had that done by a tech specifically for my preferred gauge of strings - i.e. 9.5 high e.
Quote by Ravenwoods
Mmm have you tried tightening the saddle screws on the bridge?

Sorry, but I can't see how that would have anything to do with the issue? Fiddling with saddles screws would tweak intonation only, no?
Quote by Sirakov
Sorry, but I can't see how that would have anything to do with the issue? Fiddling with saddles screws would tweak intonation only, no?

Well, if your saddles are loose, then the strings are pulling them away from the bridge causing them to go out of whack. So by tightening them you are preventing this from happening. Worth a try? I dunno im just trying to help aha.
Quote by Ravenwoods
Well, if your saddles are loose, then the strings are pulling them away from the bridge causing them to go out of whack. So by tightening them you are preventing this from happening. Worth a try? I dunno im just trying to help aha.

I see the logic. Thanks for your input, I wasn't trying to be a ****