Alright, so.. Let's just say I am now working a job that pays me really well. And I'm looking to replace my ashdown 4x10 + 1x15 stack with something just a LITTLE better.. (/sarcasm.. not just a little)

So what's your guys' input on this stack combo?

Big Block Titan V-12 head - 1200W - around $2200
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Amps/titan/titan.html

Power House 1200 Cabinet - around $1700
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Cabs/PowerhouseCABS/PHbass1200-LG.htm

I've heard nothing but good things about the head. Most reviews I've read state its one of the best amps ever made, etc etc. Haven't heard much about the cab though.

I did give this combo a test at my local music store. However, they wouldn't let me turn it up past 1/6th the way because it was rattling everything in the store with the open B on a 5-string.. lol... They better let me crank it up when I'm in there for an almost $4000 purchase or else I will hulk smash them in the face. Anyways...

One more thing to add: why would someone need such a rig you ask? I probably will see myself using this stack to its potential in the near future, as I am moving to Calgary and will be searching for all kinds of bands (anything from death metal to jazz to funk). So I'm really future proofing myself is what I'm trying to say.

So yeah.. Honest input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Gear:

Basses:
2008 American Standard Fender Jazz
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Ashdown MAG 300 C410T + 1x15
Effects:
SansAmp 3-Channel Bass Driver D.I.
Last edited by -zj* at Sep 3, 2008,
Quote by Happy-Tom
Buy a Marshall Tube Stack it will be the best decision ever ****ing made XD

Care to explain why? I'm asking for input on this Mesa stack. Not a Marshall.
Gear:

Basses:
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Effects:
To the poster above, you in the wrong forum mate? Cause where I come from, many would kill for Mesa bass stuff over Marshall's.
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I dont know musch about mesa it looks like a really solid buy that will last you a long long time. Will that be your only cab or will you be getting anither one. But remember if you like the sound just cause other people dont doesnt mean you shouldnt get it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
You lucky bastard

I haven't played any of Mesa's bass amps but I do know their guitar stuff is top notch as my mate has had an awesomeo tone through his Mesa for a little over 3 years now and had no troubles.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
Personally I don't understand the draw of the all-in-one cab. It doesn't make sense to me. It's much easier to move a rig in two pieces than one massive piece, in my mind. Just take that into consideration when considering the cabinet. Other than that, I mean, it's impossible to say anything bad about Mesa. They're at that level where you don't get bad gear, ever. It's all just personal preference.
Well, your are buying their flagship bass amp, and the Powerhouse 1000 is IMO their best cabinet, so you really can't go wrong.

I've been in love with Mesa for a while.... early this year I bought a Mesa 400+, but it fried at a gig due to a power issue. After I was compensated, I ran out and bought a totally mint Bass 400 from the late 80's, which I must say I like more than the 400+ in terms of tone and character. 6550's blow 6L6GC's out of the water!

Mesa makes some of the best stuff around. Their company still only consists of about 70-80 people, so it's essentially a little custom shop. They build their amps and cabs on a per-order basis, so nothing is sitting in a warehouse.

It's a shame they deleted their line of all-tube bass amps, but the Titan and BB750 are solid amps that have outstanding tone, and should last forever.

However, one caveat: in terms of bass amps, Mesas are designed for rock and metal. Especially the Titan and BB750. If you want to work with other styles, I'd strongly reccomend the M-Pulse 600 or an older Basis M2000. Both are 600-watt heads with tube preamps, and insane amounts of EQ flexibility. Also, Mesa tube heads (the 400+ and 400) are capable of varied styles. The old and rare D180 was also a rock-only amp.

The Powerhouse 1000 is a versatile cab that you shouldn't have any problem with pumping out various styles with. That big 15" in the center is a killer!

In all, I'd totally reccomend the cab, but if you want a versatile head, there are better options from Mesa. The Titan is a metal machine, but if you want more variety, seek out an M-Pulse 600 or a Basis M2000, or even a 400+.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
You really can't go wrong at all with Mesa, so I say go for it!
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by mountaindew88
Well, your are buying their flagship bass amp, and the Powerhouse 1000 is IMO their best cabinet, so you really can't go wrong.

I've been in love with Mesa for a while.... early this year I bought a Mesa 400+, but it fried at a gig due to a power issue. After I was compensated, I ran out and bought a totally mint Bass 400 from the late 80's, which I must say I like more than the 400+ in terms of tone and character. 6550's blow 6L6GC's out of the water!

Mesa makes some of the best stuff around. Their company still only consists of about 70-80 people, so it's essentially a little custom shop. They build their amps and cabs on a per-order basis, so nothing is sitting in a warehouse.

It's a shame they deleted their line of all-tube bass amps, but the Titan and BB750 are solid amps that have outstanding tone, and should last forever.

However, one caveat: in terms of bass amps, Mesas are designed for rock and metal. Especially the Titan and BB750. If you want to work with other styles, I'd strongly reccomend the M-Pulse 600 or an older Basis M2000. Both are 600-watt heads with tube preamps, and insane amounts of EQ flexibility. Also, Mesa tube heads (the 400+ and 400) are capable of varied styles. The old and rare D180 was also a rock-only amp.

The Powerhouse 1000 is a versatile cab that you shouldn't have any problem with pumping out various styles with. That big 15" in the center is a killer!

In all, I'd totally reccomend the cab, but if you want a versatile head, there are better options from Mesa. The Titan is a metal machine, but if you want more variety, seek out an M-Pulse 600 or a Basis M2000, or even a 400+.

yeah rock/metal is mostly what I'd be playing. Plus the titan big block v 12 is the most powerful one - using the cab to its full potential.

As for the cab, I would rather just get the all-in-one 1 piece because then I wouldn't have to wait weeks to get 2 seperate ones, which would also cost more seperate. Yeah I know about carrying this stuff. My ashdown is 100lbs and doesn't have any wheels or anything. So this shouldn't be much of a problem.

Now, If anyone lives in the edmonton/red deer/calgary area of alberta, I'm gonna be selling my ashdown stack for $850 or best offer. Here's a pic of it. The 4x10C alone cost me $870 and the 1x15 deep cab cost me $370 so you're saving about $400 because it's been used a bit. It hasn't even been pushed hard or anything.

Gear:

Basses:
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Effects:
Last edited by -zj* at Sep 3, 2008,
Quote by -zj*
yeah rock/metal is mostly what I'd be playing. Plus the titan big block v 12 is the most powerful one - using the cab to its full potential.

Unless you don't want to maintain an all-tube amp, give the 400+ a look (or an older 400 loaded with KT-88's). Both amps can compete volume-wise with the Titan, no problem, and sound a bit better *IMO*. But again, if you don't want to take care of a tube amp, I'd stick with the Titan.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by mountaindew88
Unless you don't want to maintain an all-tube amp, give the 400+ a look (or an older 400 loaded with KT-88's). Both amps can compete volume-wise with the Titan, no problem, and sound a bit better *IMO*. But again, if you don't want to take care of a tube amp, I'd stick with the Titan.

I haven't heard of any maitenence on tube amps. What exactly are you talking about? Like what wears out on them?
Gear:

Basses:
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Effects:
Theoretically, nothing will wear out, but if you own a Mesa tube amp, you'll need to have an adjustable bias pot installed so you can wring the maximum life from your tubes. Mesa doesn't put bias adjustment pots on their tube amps, and you have to use their tubes, which suck. It's a marketing scheme, because if you don't regularly bias your amp, your tubes will wear and die, and you'll have to keep buying tubes from Mesa every couple of years. If properly re-biased once a year, they'll last forever. Mine are almost 20 years old and sound great!

In terms of ruggedness, both amps are super tough, and the tube amps have the added advantage of simplicity. If anything were to go down (which is unlikely), you can fix it yourself. My Mesa/Boogie Bass 400 is nearly 20 years old, and according to it's previous owner (the 1st owner), it's never had a single problem. And with it's aftermarket bias pots, it's still running the original tubes that were installed in 1989.

I would highly recommend a 400+ if you can find one, as they were discontinued this year. The original Bass 400 is very rare, and the ones that pop up on Ebay have usually been poorly maintained due to Mesa's lack of support with older tube amps. They were originally sold with 6550's, but a lot of people that still have one just stick whatever tubes in it without biasing (due to the lack of bias pots and common sense!), and that's REALLY hard on the amp (Mesa doesn't sell 6550's anymore). The newer 400+ isn't plagued with this lack-of-support issue
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Sep 3, 2008,
Hmm I see.. How much is a bias pot?
Gear:

Basses:
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Effects:
Like, $10. If you want it professionally installed, take it to a tech and he'll charge you about $40-50 for the whole operation. Mine was professionally installed a long time ago by the original owner's tech, and it's definately a tone-saver, amp-saver, and tube-saver!

However, don't try to bias the amp yourself unless you know exactly what you're doing. When he installs them, he'll bias the amp for you. From then on, I'd suggest having a tech bias your amp. I plan on buying the tools to do this myself, but for now, I just trust the local repair shop.

Also, another fun thing I forgot to mention about tube amps is that you can get different sounds (and sometimes outputs) from using different brands of tubes. My Bass 400 is cool in that I can use 6L6GC's, 6550's, or new-style KT-88's. If you get a 400+ you can only use 6L6GC's, but there are a lot of a available options (as long as you get bias pots installed). You can also play around with the preamp tubes for even more sounds.

With me, my amp currently has the original Mesa-imported Sovtek 6L6GC's in the power amp, the original preamp tubes, and an Electro-Harmonix 12AU7 in the driver position. This gives me more EQ functionality and more clean headroom, as opposed to the stock 12AX7 driver. Once I save up a bit of cash, I'm going to give it a full retube with JJ KT-88's and some old NOS preamp tubes I have lying around (in boxes, of course
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Sep 4, 2008,
I'd be interested in that 4x10 MAG, if only you lived in the UK though...
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Well, if Troy Sanders of Mastodon has anything to say about this....

Although, he uses Ampeg heads....he mixes the best of both worlds. I too have heard nothing but praise for MESA/Boogie. Go for it.
dude that is the exact rig i want! you will never need another amp if you take care of it ti wont matter what genre you play or if you decide to change genres this amp will have your back untill your dying day my man.
Quote by TS-Genocide
dude that is the exact rig i want! you will never need another amp if you take care of it ti wont matter what genre you play or if you decide to change genres this amp will have your back untill your dying day my man.

Mesa M-6 Carbine>> Mesa Powerhouse 4x10+SWR Big Ben= best option available.

so there.

but anyways, necropost. reporting now.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
Mesa M-6 Carbine>> Mesa Powerhouse 4x10+SWR Big Ben= best option available.

so there.

but anyways, necropost. reporting now.

I have all that but the SWR. Do it, it's an amazing combination worth every penny. I'm surprised Mesa doesn't get spoken about much here in the bass forum
^I know, I have... researched a lot. sounds awesome.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom