Page 1 of 2
so get tired of writing just acousitic guitar songs, i wanna make some light synth stuff to put my vocals to.

similar to playradioplay! or enter shikari synth sorta stuff.

how would i go about this?

synth workstation?

or is there a good computer program i can use?

thanks
lol... i dont get it
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Sibelius can have some pretty cool synths. They are midi, though they still sound okay.

Synthesizers sound hella cool with heaps of Glissandos.
Reason is the best, but it might be a bit more than what you need.

What program are you using to record? Chances are, you can install VST plugins which gives you a lot of options.
glissandos?

and slipknot, whats not to get? i want to know the best way to make electro sounding music from my bedroom. with either a program on my laptop, or a synth workstation.
Quote by HethaHORRIFIC
glissandos?

It's usually called portamento. It's like the equivalent of a slide on guitar.
Quote by sargasm

What program are you using to record? Chances are, you can install VST plugins which gives you a lot of options.

i use reaper to record.

i want the best quality sounding synth, as if it works, i will probs be making a demo with some of it.

i want a sound similar to this www.myspace.com/playradioplay the last song on the list "decipher reflections from reality"

but also stuff like this www.myspace.com/entershikari "johnny snipper" if they have that up, but any of their synth stuff is great.

i dont want doof/rave sorta stuff. just fun, light, almost club, but not, synth.

thanks
Quote by sargasm
It's usually called portamento. It's like the equivalent of a slide on guitar.

Yeah, it's generally a slide from one pitch to another.
You will need software to "record" synths.

DAW (desktop audio workstations) are programmes like Cubase, Logic etc. If you want to record audio as well as play in synth tracks you'll need 1 of those. Logic is going for a good price atm but alas, you'd need a mac!

reason is good if you only wanna deal with synth tracks! You will either need to buy a synth and connect to your PC, or buy a midi keyboard and then use plug-in synths (VST's). You can get good free VST's but some cost a fair bit too!
Gibson, Martin, Orange, Apple.
i have all this **** to record. iv been recording my band and acoustic stuff for ages.

so what programs are good. what is "reason" and where can i find a free version of "frooti loops"

is it possible that i can make it without a midi keyboard, like just punch it in with my mouse, or is the midi keyboard pretty much a must?
just buy a synth. the korg r3 is cheap but really good.
fght ff yr dmns. wrt sngs n yr slp. fight yr dmns your DEMONS. w lv y. w mss y. i lv y s mch tht t hrts m hd.
Quote by HethaHORRIFIC
i use reaper to record.

i want the best quality sounding synth, as if it works, i will probs be making a demo with some of it.

i want a sound similar to this www.myspace.com/playradioplay the last song on the list "decipher reflections from reality"

but also stuff like this www.myspace.com/entershikari "johnny snipper" if they have that up, but any of their synth stuff is great.

i dont want doof/rave sorta stuff. just fun, light, almost club, but not, synth.

thanks

Alright, here's some suggestions.

These are plugins that work with your recording software. They're free, but some softsynths cost money.

http://www.keytosound.com/?desired_section=remedy
http://www.greenoak.com/crystal/index.html
http://www.majken.se/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=3&Itemid=9 (Chimera is the one you would want)

Keep in mind there's a major learning curve with synthesis. You probably won't be able to do what you want to right away.

Quote by maisey ferret

reason is good if you only wanna deal with synth tracks!

Except for the fact that you can use it with any DAW...

Quote by HethaHORRIFIC
so what programs are good.

Cubase is good for the PC
Logic is good for the Mac
Audacity is good if you want something for free

Quote by HethaHORRIFIC
what is "reason"

It's a wonderful piece of software that includes a couple of synthesizers, a vocoder, effects, mixers, and lots of other stuff. It also has a pretty nice little sequencer.

Quote by HethaHORRIFIC
and where can i find a free version of "frooti loops"

You can't, legally.

Quote by HethaHORRIFIC
is it possible that i can make it without a midi keyboard, like just punch it in with my mouse, or is the midi keyboard pretty much a must?

Yes, you'll be doing your editing in what's called a "sequencer." Every DAW has one. You can input your notes manually in the sequencer window, or you can play them with a midi keyboard. Most people find having a keyboard easier/better/funner but you can definately do it without one.
Ableton. FTW
Quote by hightension01

Tell her
"I could be playing this *inserts Job For a Cowboys Doom Cd*
but i'd rather play this *inserts *David Crowder followed by Brewster*"

haha yeah that should work

Quote by Aqua Dementia
richrawr FTW!
Quote by sargasm

This.

Exactly this. I've had Reason for about a year, it's wicked fun but only if you buy a MIDI keyboard.

It's got an almost infinite amount of synth sounds on it, because it's exactly like have a synth (or two) on your computer.

I highly reccomend, although I am only an 07'er.

Then again, I've only got version 3. Version Four is floating around somewhere.
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/westaussie/

Quote by StratPat

Quote by blacksabbath8
So I had to take a massive dump, and I went in the bassment. So it's been down there for a while and the stench is terrible and i think it's seeping into the floor.

^^^^^

i've used reasons 2.5 thru to 4 with or without a midi control, its just about learning all its ins and outs and utilising the matrix.
Quote by vocoderboy
^^^^^

i've used reasons 2.5 thru to 4 with or without a midi control, its just about learning all its ins and outs and utilising the matrix.

so reason sounds pretty good for the moment. i'll try it out, and will probs end up getting a midi controller.

how much is it? links?
Quote by HethaHORRIFIC
i use reaper to record.

get yourself a little USB MIDI keyboard then google "free VST instrument" or "free VSTi plugin"
there are some pretty good free ones (if you're into older stuff theres a pretty decent Moog one, and an ARP Odyssey one, I even found a mellotron one)

you can do midi sequencing in Reaper
and actually, you don't even need the keyboard, but believe us when we say that having one will make the whole creative process a billion times easier
http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Keyboard-Controllers--2684

but yeah, Reason is awesome as well (I just find it a slight drag to interface it with out audio programs)
Last edited by seljer at Sep 3, 2008,
Get some nice VSTs and a free program with midi that can use them, if there are any.
Virtual Studio Technology, just think of it as a virtual instrument. If you make a midi track and apply a VST to it, you can change the sound, depending on what VST you're using.
yeah, reason is great. and you wont need a midi keyboard (although it certainly helps).

i recorded all these songs using a pod, a toneport, reason and cuebase, mostly without a keyboard

www.myspace.com/effusion
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
Quote by sargasm
Go here for reason info:
http://www.propellerheads.se/

Here for the price:
Reason 4

Do they still offer a free demo?

I know a guy who makes music with Reason. He tried to get me to torrent it... but i failed miserably. I'm not that much of a geek and he was very patient with me. Online tech support for a day and a half. Boring story short, I didn't get it. Kinda got mad and gave up. Plus my computer doesn't have the balls to handle it anyway. Still want it though...
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
Quote by HethaHORRIFIC
vst?

if you've used VST plugins for like delays or compressors or whatever
same thing but instead of just modifying sounds they actually make sounds

just download the thing and place the .dll file in wherever your plugin directory is

in Reaper

-make a new track
-click the FX thing
-click Add
-on the right menu choose "Instruments" and that virtual synthesiser of your choice (you can change this later without trouble and mess around with sounds to your hearts content)

then you have 2 options

the more manual way
-now with the track selected click Insert -> New MIDI item
-now you've got a piano roll thing where you can program in your melodies the way you want them

the slightly better way
-arm the track for recording
-turn monitoring on
-if you've got a MIDI keyboard set the input source to the appropriate MIDI channel, otherwise set it to that "Virtual MIDI keyboard -> All Channels"
-press Alt+B
-now you've got a little rudimentary keyboard you can play with (either with the mouse or through your regular PC keyboard....not the best way to play an instrument but it works)
-press record, play whatever you want to play
-you can doubleclick on the MIDI track and clean up any mistakes you made by hand afterwards (no need to redo the whole take)
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Do they still offer a free demo?

I know a guy who makes music with Reason. He tried to get me to torrent it... but i failed miserably. I'm not that much of a geek and he was very patient with me. Online tech support for a day and a half. Boring story short, I didn't get it. Kinda got mad and gave up. Plus my computer doesn't have the balls to handle it anyway. Still want it though...

I'm pretty sure they still have a demo.

I think when reason 4 came out, I downloaded the demo and it upgraded my pirated version of 3 to the demo version of 4! >_<

Luckily I still had the disc or whatever but it still made me mad.

I've got some money set aside to buy a copy of reason 4 (As well as logic pro!) but I haven't gotten around to it.

One of 3's big fallouts was the lack of an arpeggiator so I'm excited to play around with the one in 4.
Quote by sargasm
I'm pretty sure they still have a demo.

I think when reason 4 came out, I downloaded the demo and it upgraded my pirated version of 3 to the demo version of 4! >_<

Luckily I still had the disc or whatever but it still made me mad.

I've got some money set aside to buy a copy of reason 4 (As well as logic pro!) but I haven't gotten around to it.

One of 3's big fallouts was the lack of an arpeggiator so I'm excited to play around with the one in 4.

there was an arpegiator in 3, it was called "the matrix"
Quote by hippyheaven1
there was an arpegiator in 3, it was called "the matrix"

No.

Just no.

Completely different things with completely different uses.

Using the matrix as an arpeggiator is no different than doing it in the sequencer.
Quote by sargasm
No.

Just no.

Completely different things with completely different uses.

Using the matrix as an arpeggiator is no different than doing it in the sequencer.

your a a real charmer
The Reason apreggiator is just sexual. Reason is amazing but ReWire is a pain in the bum sometimes.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
Quote by seljer
if you've used VST plugins for like delays or compressors or whatever
same thing but instead of just modifying sounds they actually make sounds

just download the thing and place the .dll file in wherever your plugin directory is

in Reaper

-make a new track
-click the FX thing
-click Add
-on the right menu choose "Instruments" and that virtual synthesiser of your choice (you can change this later without trouble and mess around with sounds to your hearts content)

then you have 2 options

the more manual way
-now with the track selected click Insert -> New MIDI item
-now you've got a piano roll thing where you can program in your melodies the way you want them

the slightly better way
-arm the track for recording
-turn monitoring on
-if you've got a MIDI keyboard set the input source to the appropriate MIDI channel, otherwise set it to that "Virtual MIDI keyboard -> All Channels"
-press Alt+B
-now you've got a little rudimentary keyboard you can play with (either with the mouse or through your regular PC keyboard....not the best way to play an instrument but it works)
-press record, play whatever you want to play
-you can doubleclick on the MIDI track and clean up any mistakes you made by hand afterwards (no need to redo the whole take)

can someone link me to a good vst for reaper.

can i get a load of unstruments, or one at a time?

thanks heaps.
Quote by HethaHORRIFIC
so get tired of writing just acousitic guitar songs, i wanna make some light synth stuff to put my vocals to.

similar to playradioplay! or enter shikari synth sorta stuff.

how would i go about this?

synth workstation?

or is there a good computer program i can use?

thanks

I say go with a sequencer and software synths. At that point you would only need a keyboard MIDI controller and audio interface to run the audio out of.

A hardware synth is going to cost quite a bit...

Tweak's Guide has info on MIDI and synths:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm
go into guitar pro and change all your acoustic guitar tracks to keyboard. works a charm
Page 1 of 2