Page 1 of 3
I searched and found some results but they were pretty old, so I made a new thread.

Here's my question:
What Martial Art is the best for self defense?

My friend does TaeKwonDo and I've done a free lesson at his club.
I had a great time, but TKD (especially what they teach at the club) is more of a sport than a Martial Art/form of self defense.

Are there any Martial arts you would recommend me to take?

P.S. My parents won't let me do Boxing or Muay Thai because it's too Br00tal.
TKD is absolutely worthless. I'd rather take teadrinking classes than TKD for self-defense.

Go with wing chun, aikido or krav maga.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Jujitsu. Throws, locks, strikes etc.

It's good.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Judo, everything you'd learn at jujitsu (same thing tbh) but you learn how to balance and play on peoples weight distribution/movements, learning to move people / flow with there body movements is probably the most efficient way of fighting.

But as any competent martial artist would tell you fighting proves nothing if someones going to attack you simply avoid them and run....
psh! Who learn martial arts for self defense? I learn martial art to kick some ass and take some names, just like my boy C.N
Quote by bradulator
Iceland has the coolest women.
The problem with TKD is that to use it effectively out on the street, you have to be VERY good at it, or you'll get taken down easy.

Martial arts like Wing Chun and Jujitsu don't require you to absolutely perfect the technique before you can use it in a real life situation.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Yeah, I would love to take Krav Maga.
2 Problems

1:Too Br00tal for my parents

2: I don't know any place in Australia, especially around Aus, that teaches 13 year olds how to choke, fishhook and gouge eyes.

Wing chun and Aikido eh? I'll try and see if there's a place that teaches that around here.
Yeah, then I could really Bruce it up.

Is Karate any good?
Quote by lithiumftw
i am actually lolling right now!!! lmao!

After 1 and a half long years, someone laughed at one of my posts.

F*CK YEAH
Quote by metacarpi
The problem with TKD is that to use it effectively out on the street, you have to be VERY good at it, or you'll get taken down easy.

Martial arts like Wing Chun and Jujitsu don't require you to absolutely perfect the technique before you can use it in a real life situation.

The real problem with it is it requires you to be at a distance to use...
And that is the difference between doing it in an area where every1 does it and being on a street with someone tryign to maul u, they arnt going to stand a metre away from u to kick u. Im not saying a TKD person cudnt do some damage whilst u move to hit them. But as soon as ur close lets face it all fights end up grappling on the floor...
Quote by johntb
The real problem with it is it requires you to be at a distance to use...
And that is the difference between doing it in a area where every1 does it and being onan street with someone tryign to maul u, they arnt going to stand a metre away from u to kick u. Im not saying a TKD person cudnt do some damage whilst u move to hit them. But as soon as ur close lets face it all fights end up grappling on the floor...

Exactly.

That's why I love my Jujitsu and Aiki-Jitsu.

Strike, locks, throws, grapples, restraints.

Useful stuff.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

jujitsu is realy self defense based
karate is not bad.. but most of the time its only semi-contact (not really hitting) so you won't learn that much out of that

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Basically all martial arts are used for self defence. It depends on what you are after...

If you are smaller and need to take on a bigger opponent or something, then you need to take a martial art that is best for that.

If you need to take on large groups, different again.

Depends what you need.
and all them are incorporated into Judo which is why I love Judo, Judo is basically all them different Jitsu styles rolled into one package. Standing, ground work, locks, strangles, movement.. Very clever stuff

I was at a seminar once and a spectator asked a person to describe judo, he simply put his hand out and let someone push it as they pushed he steps out of the way and let the person nearly fall over...

And in a way that perfectly describes Judo
Last edited by johntb at Sep 3, 2008,
Mixed martial arts... i guess that is too brutal as well.

I would try to find some Jeet kune do or filipino martial art club.

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=xl6lY_DiXtA : filipino knive fighting (kali)
Esp ltd M-1000 deluxe stblck EMG
Epiphone LP standard EMG 81/85
keiper les paul stock
Bugera 333 XL 120w head
H&K attax 100 combo
Boss me-50
Quote by johntb
and all them are incorporated into Judo which is why I love Judo, Judo is basically all them different Jitsu styles rolled into one package. Standing, ground work, locks, strangles, movement.. Very clever stuff

I've done it too 8 years .. and its not all of them in one package, not at all !
judo doesn't allow kicking, boxing, ..

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Martial Arts Clubs are usually either sport or self defense orientated. Eg. TKD is almost always sports related whereas Krav Maga is almost always self defense orientated. My style is Wadu Ryu and the split is about 50/50.
I've done Tae Kwon Do for 6 years, some Judo and some Mixed Martial arts. Personally from what I have gained from Tae Kwon Do and Judo combined I feel fairly comfortable defending myself and so I recommend any form of mixed martial art rather than a single one. If not that, then try some out and whatever you like best. No matter what every martial art will have advantages and disadvantages, so it comes down to personal opinion really.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
Wax on, wax off
Paint the fence
Crane kick

You're all set Mr Larusso.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by noxiosimitator
I've done it too 8 years .. and its not all of them in one package, not at all !
judo doesn't allow kicking, boxing, ..

Actually it does, If you are to follow the Kata which most clubs dont fully teach you will find everything from wrist locks to throws... Wrist locks also arnt allowed btw but if you look they are there to be taught.... Its the best bits from all the Jitsu styles

Granted no one in judo will show u how to punch and kick (most of the time it isnt needed anyhow) and 99% of judo teachs dont know / wont teach you how to wrist / finger lock. Once you learn how to move peoples bodies though most of this falls into place
search youtube for Bas Ruten videos, then learn from him.
Or just grow a pair.
Wrestling is good for using other peoples weight against them I weigh about 130 pounds and can easily take down guys twice my weight if they run at me. That's if I don't elbow strike them in the face first
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by johntb
Actually it does, If you are to follow the Kata which most clubs dont fully teach you will find everything from wrist locks to throws... Wrist locks also arnt allowed btw but if you look they are there to be taught.... Its the best bits from all the Jitsu styles

Granted no one in judo will show u how to punch and kick (most of the time it isnt needed anyhow) and 99% of judo teachs dont know / wont teach you how to wrist / finger lock. Once you learn how to move peoples bodies though most of this falls into place

Kata isn't so good for actual fights, it's better for developing form, you're not going to learn how to properly throw someone in a certain way just by pretending they're there, you need to experience it with another person.
Quote by StratoSlayer
Yeah, I would love to take Krav Maga.
2 Problems

1:Too Br00tal for my parents

2: I don't know any place in Australia, especially around Aus, that teaches 13 year olds how to choke, fishhook and gouge eyes.

Wing chun and Aikido eh? I'll try and see if there's a place that teaches that around here.
Yeah, then I could really Bruce it up.

Is Karate any good?
How are you ever going to learn how to defend yourself (using any martial art) when your parents are afraid to death of you getting hurt ? If Krav Maga is too brutal than anything will be, and should you ever find yourself in a situation where you need to defend yourself it will be far more brutal than anything your parents didn't want you to be exposed to. It certainly will not be in a safe environment with an adult instructor who knows what he's doing and is watching out for the safety and welfare of his students.
Quote by macin
Mixed martial arts... i guess that is too brutal as well.

I would try to find some Jeet kune do or filipino martial art club.

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=xl6lY_DiXtA : filipino knive fighting (kali)

Mixed martial arts is a sport not a martial art.

To be honest, no martial art is gonna teach you how to fight, there is only one way to get good at fighting; go and get in lots of fights. The reason for this is that a real fight situation can't be simulated in a none aggressive environment, doesnt matter what martial art you learn.

The real use of martial arts is to teach you the skills you need to walk with confidence and security which will keep you much safer than any practical fighting skills. Martial arts teaches you discipline and willpower which a would-be attacker can sense a mile off if you project it correctly. In this way, you will never lose a fight no matter what the physical outcomes might be, because you have the correct mindset.

In this light I would go for the martial art that you feel is most spiritually rich, e.g. kung fu, wing chun, jiu-jitsu. You will get alot more of it that way.
Quote by Atreideslegend
e.g. kung fu, wing chun

Ahem... Wing Chun is Kung Fu...

But Yeah, Wushu probably is the best of them all.
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley

Clicky --->
Quote by Wigert
Ahem... Wing Chun is Kung Fu...

But Yeah, Wushu probably is the best of them all.

yeah sorry when i say kung fu i mean shaolin five animal, got used to referring to it as just kung fu :P But if ure going to be padantic, wu shu is just a form of kung fu anyway.
Last edited by Atreideslegend at Sep 3, 2008,
Quote by XianXiuHong
Kata isn't so good for actual fights, it's better for developing form, you're not going to learn how to properly throw someone in a certain way just by pretending they're there, you need to experience it with another person.

Kata is the fundamentals on which it is all built off... Why do you think at the olympics we all still get creamed (in most cases) by the japanese because fundamentals come before brute strength that we all seem so fixated upon Judo kata is different also you actually have a partner in it and you work with your partner..
Whichever martial art you choose, make sure you find a good school/instructor to learn from. I've heard many people say that Taekwondo is too much of a sport, but if you find the right place you can learn things like grappling and one-step-sparring in real life situations, plus kicking people in the face!
Just a question, what's a good martial art for a smaller guy (me, at about 5"9' max) to learn just for self defense? I usually carry a knife, but I'd like to actually be able to defend myself unarmed also. I tried karate for a couple of years, but not much I learned was useful.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by Atreideslegend
yeah sorry when i say kung fu i mean shaolin five animal, got used to referring to it as just kung fu :P But if ure going to be padantic, wu shu is just a form of kung fu anyway.

Didn't mean to be an ass about it :P Yeah Wushu is also the name of the modern sport. And the Chinese term to relate to the martial arts.

Anyways, I practiced Hung Ga for a short while, but I'm going to start again because I need it for many reasons. The Qigong really does wonders for your body.

Quote by SkyValley

Clicky --->
Judo is great, Krav Maga is stupid, its common sense.
Quote by SG_dave
my teacher always insults his wife.we were doing an experiment and the motor broke.he suggested he ring his wife for her to fetch one of her vibrators.i suggeted she has them cos he can't deliver the goods.he said he deliverd them in my mum
Quote by johntb
Kata is the fundamentals on which it is all built off... Why do you think at the olympics we all still get creamed (in most cases) by the japanese because fundamentals come before brute strength that we all seem so fixated upon Judo kata is different also you actually have a partner in it and you work with your partner..

Yeah, I know it's the fundamentals and all, but if you compare Japanese martial art training to other country's the Japanese are way more brutal than other countries.

And I didn't know that the Judo katas had partners, thanks for that little bit of info
Quote by Kensai
TKD is absolutely worthless. I'd rather take teadrinking classes than TKD for self-defense.

Go with wing chun, aikido or krav maga.

What have you got against Tea drinking classes, you miserable git?

Also, the best form of self-defence is sarcasm. Works every time.
Page 1 of 3