There's a pawn shop near were i live that has a few Marshall heads that haven't been sold in years. And when they do get sold there's another one there in a few weeks. Its a bit weird really

Anyway are the JCM or the AVT heads any good? Aside from a few MG's they seem to have a lot of AVTs and the occasional JCM

Any good?
JCMs are their flagship line. AVT are the valvestate, hybrid things that are OK in my opinion. MGs are pretty good for fire wood. If you've got the cash, pick up a JCM.
Yeah echo-ing what other have said... AVT's are really not worth it in my opinion, but JCMs are 99% of the time a good bet. What sort of price are they selling them at?
Quote by Crimson_tornado
Yeah echo-ing what other have said... AVT's are really not worth it in my opinion, but JCMs are 99% of the time a good bet. What sort of price are they selling them at?

Cant remember

Like... one thousand something for the head.

$800 for the cab

This is Australian dollars remember.
IMO JCM 800's are the best of the JCM line, JCM 900's are the worst and 2000's are pretty good but they don't have the balls of an old 800 so pay attention to what model it is. AVT's are ok but not in the same league as the JCM line.
Quote by georgakis187
jcm900s rock man....u obviously havent played one

I have and I didn't like it, I thought the overdrive was thin but the cleans I admit were a lot better than an 800, but that's just my opinion, if you like em' that's fine by me
Well working on straight dollars - pounds conversion, I not too sure the cab is good value but the heads might be. The best way to do it is wait untill they have one, and then ask to try it out. If at all possible, I'd recommend doing it with YOUR guitar, as thats the one you'll be using with it.
Quote by Crimson_tornado
Well working on straight dollars - pounds conversion, I not too sure the cab is good value but the heads might be. The best way to do it is wait untill they have one, and then ask to try it out. If at all possible, I'd recommend doing it with YOUR guitar, as thats the one you'll be using with it.

Well i live in asutralia and we get the shit end of the stick in terms of amps and guitars.

Manufacture > Shipping > Distributer > Shipping > Store > Me

The manufacturer, distributor and the store all get a bit of profit and over seas shipping adds heaps onto the price.

But yeah I dont plan on buying one YET but a Marshall stack is something I'm looking at getting sometime next year. I'll go down and try it out maybe next week.
I have recently gotten an offer to by a used JCM800 2204 amplifier head produced in 1988. Does anyone know around how long these amplifiers last? Can I expect 30 years or more? What would be a fair price for it in american dollars?
Quote by Crimson_tornado

you have to remember that marshall is a UK company so they don't have as much transport costs, import duties etc.

Quote by georgakis187
jcm900s rock man....u obviously havent played one

the overdrive isn't a tradtional marshall overdrive so marshall fans are unlikely to completely appreciate it
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
oh i know that thats why i like it....gain *****----->ME

but seriously ok it DOES sound abit dry but with a nice middy pedal it ll rip ur balls off
the think is with the clipping diode in the signal path it takes pedals and still sounds the same just thicker and juicier if u will either that or crank for some power amp distortion so i dont really use a pedal then
Quote by Lemoninfluence
you have to remember that marshall is a UK company so they don't have as much transport costs, import duties etc.

the overdrive isn't a tradtional marshall overdrive so marshall fans are unlikely to completely appreciate it

Exactly. I LOVE the classic Marshall tone. I used to own a JCM900 and sold it. I hated it. It didn't have THAT Marshall tone, that's why!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by mcrfobtai
JCMs are pretty good, the AVTs, noit so much

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?