Is it worth it to spend the extra two hundred dollars to go with the jsx. In your opinion which sounds better. I am in a metal band and need alot of gain can the xxx put out as much distortion as the JSX. I've only had the chance to play the xxx breifly then the G.C. by me sold it and none of the other stores around have one i can try out. Any input would be much Appreciated.

thank you
Do you play all kinds of styles or just metal? The JSX would be better if you wanted to play other things besides metal.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
JSX
Pro's- Slightly edges out the XXX if you doing lead work and its versatile
Con's- Not enough gain on tap, not a good choice for rhythm work

XXX
Pro's- Lots of usable gain on tap, great for rhythm and lead work and very versatile
Con's- None

I would take a XXX over a JSX anyday... But im also not Joe Satriani and could care less about lead work...
Awesome thanks guys. i do a lot of lead work with the band Im in, but i do need alot of gain on tap. So for now im just gona look for a deal on either of them used and see what i come up with. Is there a large difference in the amount of gain a xxx vs. a jsx or is it minimal?
^ Not a huge difference on the Ultra channel, but on the Crunch, there is. The Triple XXX has two channels capable of metal, the JSX crunch channel will get there but barely. The Triples gain is is over the top on both channels, although they are vocied different, you could easly set one up for rythm and one for leads and still have the hardcore tone. BTW Don't for get you can set the FX button up as a volume boost as well for both channels.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
The Peavey XXX, JSX, and Ultra thread can help.

but for you, go with the XXX. a lot of gain, 2 metal capable channels, very loud, very nice. the JSX is very versatile, but doesnt have such a raw and heavy metal tone as the XXX
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
The JSX and Triple X can both handle metal equally. Saying the JSX is for lead work and not good for metal rhythm playing is just ridiculous. Satriani actually had little to do with with sound of the JSX. The clean channel is from a Classic 50, the crunch channel is also from a Classic 50, but with added gain. The ultra channel is taken from the XXX's crunch channel, but again with added gain.

The XXX doesn't have resonance and presence tone controls for the poweramp. It also doesn't have Fat switches on both the crunch and ultra channel like the JSX does. They add girth to your tone and make your gain a bit more fluid. (I keep them off for a more raw and edgy tone)The JSX also has an onboard noise reduction circuit and control which eliminates operating noise. (like hissing and sshhing) You will still need a noise gate as the onboard one has no gating capabilities to stop feedback.
I also find the JSX to have more of a warm tone, while the XXX has a bit of a colder tone.
The XXX does have a damping switch on the back which lets you toggle between tight, medium and loose. This helps in tailoring your tone from room to room and greatly affects the tone of the amp.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
The JSX and Triple X can both handle metal equally. Saying the JSX is for lead work and not good for metal rhythm playing is just ridiculous. Satriani actually had little to do with with sound of the JSX. The clean channel is from a Classic 50, the crunch channel is also from a Classic 50, but with added gain. The ultra channel is taken from the XXX's crunch channel, but again with added gain.

The XXX doesn't have resonance and presence tone controls for the poweramp. It also doesn't have Fat switches on both the crunch and ultra channel like the JSX does. They add girth to your tone and make your gain a bit more fluid. (I keep them off for a more raw and edgy tone)The JSX also has an onboard noise reduction circuit and control which eliminates operating noise. (like hissing and sshhing) You will still need a noise gate as the onboard one has no gating capabilities to stop feedback.
I also find the JSX to have more of a warm tone, while the XXX has a bit of a colder tone.
The XXX does have a damping switch on the back which lets you toggle between tight, medium and loose. This helps in tailoring your tone from room to room and greatly affects the tone of the amp.

Its pretty much personal prefrence but that said alot of people think the same when it comes to these two amps. I have played both for a good amount of time and own a Ultra Plus and have to say the Triple and Ultra are a lot better sounding amp for rhythm work.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Its pretty much personal prefrence but that said alot of people think the same when it comes to these two amps. I have played both for a good amount of time and own a Ultra Plus and have to say the Triple and Ultra are a lot better sounding amp for rhythm work.

+1 to everything u said.

Basically in a nut shell, the XXX is best for heavy rhythm and leads, and the JSX is better for leads. Dont get me wrong it does have a lot of gain, but not nearly as dark and heavy as the XXX
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
pretty much what everyone else says.....my only comment would be add v-30's to either and u will be over joyed!!

good luck!
I've actually got the Bugera 333XL combo and I guess it's supposed to be somewhat like the JSX. I like it and does get some good gain, but I've only been able to play at low/mid level volume so far (and yes it does it pretty good at low volumes), but would take the XXX or 5150 in a heartbeat. The Bugera is great don't get me wrong, but I want the brootalz, lmao.
thanks for the info. i think im gona save a few bucks and get the xxx. i also have a couple more questions, is the xxx capable of doing some lead work, i mean the jsx would be better but can the xxx still hold its own in the lead department, being that i play alot of leads. Also how to the clean channels compare because i would also like a very clean, clean channel.
Quote by hereswaldo87
thanks for the info. i think im gona save a few bucks and get the xxx. i also have a couple more questions, is the xxx capable of doing some lead work, i mean the jsx would be better but can the xxx still hold its own in the lead department, being that i play alot of leads. Also how to the clean channels compare because i would also like a very clean, clean channel.

It can do lead work fine the JSX just barely knudges it out but thats pretty much due to the extra options the JSX offers. Cleans are actually quite good which is rare for a high gain amp in its price range.
^ Oh yeah, it not just a rythm amp, It has some chops too if you know what I mean. They are similar amps, more simlar than most admit, I personally don't think the JSX is worth the extra money, but hey, if you like it better more power to you. I like how the crunch channel on the JSX is more veristile for the lower gain stuff, but a 12at7 in the V2 spot on my triple XXx did basically the same thing.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6