So here's the story: I'm driving home last night, thoroughly enjoying singing along to an awesome song, when suddenly it just cuts out. The cd player switches itself off, there's this really loud buzzing noise, and I can't get it to turn back on again. I pulled over, turned the engine off and then back on again. The cd player came back on, played for a second and then the same thing happened. When I switched the headlights off, the buzzing went away, and when I switched them on again, the buzzing came back. I managed to get it to switch on long enough to get the cd out, but the only way I could get it to stay on was to listen to the radio.

I'm no mechanic, but the fact the buzzing was related to the head lights seems to suggest it's a fault with the car's electronics, rather than the cd player itself. I'll be taking it to a car garage, but I don't want to be ripped off with any lies, saying more stuff needs doing blah blah. Knowledge is power, so they say, so I'm trying to get as good an idea of what's going on as I can before I take the car in to one. So does anyone know what's going on?
sounds like you have a faulty earth either from your headlights or from your cd player, thus causeing some kind of interference!
Bam
Drive without headlights on....
Might be a bit risky
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
Your CD player is hooked to a power line that turns on with your lights. That way it lights up with your dash like everything else. Might wanna check that out.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by IKnowItsWrong
Drive without headlights on....
Might be a bit risky

I considered that, but I was on a country road, and with no head lights I couldn't even see my hand in front of my face...so I decided I'd probably be better with headlights

Your CD player is hooked to a power line that turns on with your lights. That way it lights up with your dash like everything else. Might wanna check that out.

That sounds like it might be the problem, nice one. Does this power line only lead off from the main power line to the cd player, or is it more integral than that? Basically, are the electronics in the car about to go pete tong, or just the cd player?
Well you have a main power line that powers on when you turn the key. Then you have a secondary one that powers the lights on the stereo that way when you flick your lights on your stereo lights up. I just figured it might possibly be that one since it only occured when you used your lights.

Though your stereo may just be shitting out. I have been through several stereos in my cars. If its a Sony Xplod then it is probably just shitting out, they give me more grief than any other stereo I have owned.
Quote by nebiru
Well you have a main power line that powers on when you turn the key. Then you have a secondary one that powers the lights on the stereo that way when you flick your lights on your stereo lights up. I just figured it might possibly be that one since it only occured when you used your lights.

Though your stereo may just be shitting out. I have been through several stereos in my cars. If its a Sony Xplod then it is probably just shitting out, they give me more grief than any other stereo I have owned.

I have tried it again, and it still won't work; keeps making the same buzzing noise even without the lights being on.

And it's not a Sony. It's actually built into the centre console of the car, which means even if it is just the cd player I have to take it into a proper dealer
Instead of going to a mechanic's garage, just take it to a car audio place if you're worried about them saying other stuff in the car needs doing etc etc.
Or call up/go in to said store and explain the problem.
Quote by pawnshopguitars
I have tried it again, and it still won't work; keeps making the same buzzing noise even without the lights being on.

And it's not a Sony. It's actually built into the centre console of the car, which means even if it is just the cd player I have to take it into a proper dealer

No you won't. They make kits that make aftermarket stereos look like they are factory installed. Chill out dude, its not the end of the world.
might be a problem with your voltage regulator, and or your alternator over/undercharging
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.