I'm off to Uni soon to do Music Production and I need some decent headphones at a reasonable price. I've shopped around and Sennheisers seem to offer the best at a reasonable price, the HD 555's particularly grabbed my attention as being good quality, comfortable and at a good price. The only issue I could see with them was that they were open and thus leaked sound. Has this been a major issue for anyone who is or has done any sort of Music production work?

Any other reccomendations would be much appreciated.

Don't fail me now, UG!
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
You've already answered your own question.

Sennheiser = the way to go
Quote by Monolith295
Tobysaurus is one sexy man.

Quote by Kensai
I think I love you Tobysaurus!

Quote by CFH82
God damn, you've given me a boner Toby!
SennheiserSennheiserSennheiserSennheiserSennheiserSennheiserSennheiserSennheiserSennheiserSennheiserSennheiserSennheiser
Quote by tobysaurus
You've already answered your own question.

Sennheiser = the way to go

My question was 'is an open headphone a problem in a studio environment', in so many words. But thanks, Sennheisers are what I will go with.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD212s which have served me very well (I'm about to go into the 3rd year of a similar course), they're a lot cheaper than the 500 series too, which I've always found to be a bit too bass-heavy.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Well, open headphones sound way better than closed headphones. They also let sound in though. Will you be in an environment with lots of other people?

Quote by batiboy06
Bose?

GTFO.
Also, buy used. New prices for headphones (in general; there are exceptions) are ridiculous. Go hang around the Head-Fi sales forum and pick something up used.

http://www.head-fi.org/

It might even be worth reading a few threads there, as most of UG wont know what they're talking about.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I reccommend the Denon AH-D2000's. They're closed cans which is probably the better option. Oh, and they don't need an amp at all, and sound good out of anything.

Last edited by redh0tchilip3pp at Sep 3, 2008,
Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
Also, buy used. New prices for headphones (in general; there are exceptions) are ridiculous. Go hang around the Head-Fi sales forum and pick something up used.

http://www.head-fi.org/

It might even be worth reading a few threads there, as most of UG wont know what they're talking about.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I reccommend the Denon AH-D2000's. They're closed cans which is probably the Oh, and they don't need an amp at all, and sound good out of anything.

Thanks, that link was helpful, managed to find someone who bought the cans that I was looking at and they seem pretty decent.

A useful UG member is hard to come by these days
Quote by its_alive

Quote by ErnieBallfists
Quote by rich_sg
Thanks, that link was helpful, managed to find someone who bought the cans that I was looking at and they seem pretty decent.

A useful UG member is hard to come by these days

No worries man. I'm getting into that industry myself.
The Senneheisers are nice and will serve you well.

However I think a nice AKG is a better choice. AKG is EQed a little more flat then the Senneheisers which is better for your application.

I recommend you take a look at the AKG K240M it's about 100 dollars, but it will overall serve you better then the Senneheiser for your recording purposes imo. The set is comfy, easy to use, doesn't require an amp, and EQ'd very FLAT. That way when you go set up your production to a set of monitors you don't have to tweak the audio as much as you would compared to with using a set of headphones with a slight lean towards the bass and/or treble.

BTW: I recommend you check out RECORDING forums instead of stereophile/audiophile forums for headphone recommendations. Head-fi is a great resource no doubt, but you have to realize none of the cirticism on the website even takes into consideration the color of the headphones. When recording, you want a headphone that doesn't color the sound at all. If you record with a set naturally boosts bass, when you give them to your friend, you'll end up with a sound that has very little bass, because the headphones were compensating for the deficiency in the recording.

If you can, master audio with a good set of flat monitors rather then headphones.
Last edited by kaplac at Sep 3, 2008,