Hey, seeing as the school leaving age in the UK has been raised for my little sister's year group, it got me thinking, how does is all work in the US?

So pit monkeys from across the pond, when do you leave school? And what qualifications do you come out with.

Eg in the UK you can leave at 16, with GCSE's and some vocational qualifications (BTEC's) or you can stay on till you're 17 and do A levels. Then uni etc...

Thanks
***Short Sig***
They'll probably keep our system and just make kids to something like A Levels or BTEC.

The whole idea is stupid as hell. Most kids go to college anyway, a lot of those who don't start working and do alright for themselves, and it's only going to add on a lot of the frustrations of school earlier.

I left school at 16 ready and have done great. I wouldn't be so great if I left at 18.

Seriously, this is such a ridiculous idea.

EDIT: I find it odd when I hear most people staying in school for A Levels. I'm doing mine at my town's college six form, and so are most of the people I know... Well, if not Weston, then one called Bridgewater a few miles away.
Last edited by Craigo at Sep 3, 2008,
lol at the new year 7's!

americans leave at 18 dont they?
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
In the US you can leave at age 16, and if you want to go to school, the state MUST educate you until the age of 21.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by walkinbazooka
In the US you can leave at age 16, and if you want to go to school, the state MUST educate you until the age of 21.

So if you pass high school and don't do anything else, what happens then?
Quote by Craigo

You go to college or get a job or both.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
At 16 you can take a GED test to show you've learned a sufficient amount to make it in the real world. Otherwise, you stay until you've completed your senior year (grade 12). Then you can either go to college or not. There's no age requirement to graduate. I graduated at 17.
Quote by slidething31
You go to college or get a job or both.

Sounds rad.

Still dislike the 'leaving school at 18' part though.

EDIT: I know you can leave early, but I still never liked the idea of it I prefered leave at 16 with qualifications, then do whatever including college to do whatever you want. For example, I'm only studying three subjects and doing them in better detail. Our college is free to 16-18 year olds and if you don't have a level 3 qualification. What qualifications we do is another matter and is quite odd...
Last edited by Craigo at Sep 3, 2008,
Quote by Craigo

Nothing.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Yeah in America high school ends after 12 years, roughly at 18. You can drop out at 16 if you want, but then you really have nothing to do with your life. Generally, any kid who wants to go to college can with financial aid, scholarships, and the various types of schools. Those who don't just end up working at gas stations n shit for the rest of their lives pretty much.

edit: I have no idea what the hell the "state must educate you until 21" comment meant. That is in no way true whatsoever.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Quote by Craigo
Then I don't see the 'state must educate you until you're 21' in power.

Most people who can't get through high school by the time they're 17-19 (when most people graduate) they don't stay in school. Most drop out, and get a GED, or drop out, and get a job.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Quote by LedZeppelin
Yeah in America high school ends after 12 years, roughly at 18. You can drop out at 16 if you want, but then you really have nothing to do with your life. Generally, any kid who wants to go to college can with financial aid, scholarships, and the various types of schools. Those who don't just end up working at gas stations n shit for the rest of their lives pretty much.

Uni in the UK i cheaper, and we offer interest free loans which are paid back when you earned a certain amount. It used to be free, it's free in Scotland for Scots and some of us our trying to make it free for everyone.

You can do alright without going to Uni though in the UK. A Levels (16-18 year olds tend to take these, 3 or 5 of them) are enough to indicate work involved, and from what I've heard and contrasted, they are harder than high school.
What education?
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
Hey Craigo a fellow somerset boy but I'm in Burnham sucks about your pier though . Anyways on topic only the real idiots drop out when they are 16 but a lot of millionaire dropped out when they were 16 and have made mega money like Sir Allan Sugar so i guess its different for everyone
Quote by walkinbazooka
Most people who can't get through high school by the time they're 17-19 (when most people graduate) they don't stay in school. Most drop out, and get a GED, or drop out, and get a job.

If you go straight into employment though, how can the state educate you?
Quote by Craigo
If you go straight into employment though, how can the state educate you?

Ahh, sorry I guess I worded my post wrong. The state must educate you until you're 21, if you want education.

Basically once you're of age you can make the decision to take advantage of the education the state will give you, or try to make it with what you have.
Quote by shattamakar

Quote by walkinbazooka
Ahh, sorry I guess I worded my post wrong. The state must educate you until you're 21, if you want education.

Basically once you're of age you can make the decision to take advantage of the education the state will give you, or try to make it with what you have.

That's better, thought it sounded wrong

Replace 'must' with 'can' and it's all cool.
Quote by Craigo
That's better, thought it sounded wrong

Replace 'must' with 'can' and it's all cool.

Roight.
Quote by shattamakar

Quote by Masamune
I've never understood the UK's school system, what would be the UK equivalent of the US's high school?

It's different in the different countries. In Scotland you have Primary school for 7 years then Secondry School (like high school) for 4-6 Years. I'm not a 100% sure about the English system so I won't say anything becaause it could be all wrong.
Quote by LedZeppelin

edit: I have no idea what the hell the "state must educate you until 21" comment meant. That is in no way true whatsoever.

This is correct. (wtf to the "21" thing)

There are 3 schools. Elementary (kindergarden-5th), middle (6-8) and high school (9-12).

I think the school systems over here are bullshit, since they teach you how to be a machine. We take lots of math, lots of english, for what? Not a god damn thing. I favor the UK because at least you get a head start on what you want to be. You dont waste years of your life studying something you will never ever ever (emphasis on never ever ever) use. Here, you start working on your career if you really well in school, and only if you do really well. But mostly the training begins in college.

I can't say the UK has it all, like Sunlight, white teeth or attractive women, but they do have a good education system.
Quote by Craigo

EDIT: I find it odd when I hear most people staying in school for A Levels. I'm doing mine at my town's college six form, and so are most of the people I know... Well, if not Weston, then one called Bridgewater a few miles away.

I'm considering doing my A Levels at St Brendan's, you're in the area, do you know anything about it?

But, I wouldn't mind staying at my school, the sixth form is good there, very good results, and the teachers for the subjects I want to take further (Art, History, English, French/Chemistry) are very good.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
One of the major plus factors about college for me was that everyone who was there wanted to be there.

There was no bullying, nothing like what happened at school.

If they force people to stay on its just going to be viewed as an extension of secondary school and that great atmosphere is going to vanish.