What do you do if your guitarists tone is so distorted and garbage that you can't tell what notes he's playing, and telling him not to have gain set to maximum on an MG + having gain on his Metal Zone pedal set to maximum isn't an option? I've tried looking at what he's playing but it's a bit awkward.
tell him to get a new amp or f**k off literary xD
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Take his guitar... smash it in his amp....
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
Quote by Winsbury
tell him you cant hear anything hes playin, and that he needs to turn the gain down.
or just kick him out of the band

I have told him. And I've set his tone for him a few times with good results, but he always goes back to the garbage tone the next time.
Just tell him? It's not that hard. Go up to him and say "Turn your gain down, it sounds like ass when you have it like that." When he changes it back, tell him again.
He doesn't listen, and I have played very loud to match him but then he tells me to turn down. ¬__¬'
Enjoy playing My Bloody Valentine songs. Noise pop/shoegaze at its finest.
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
well, being a guitarist there is one way to make sure something happens. If he starts playing start laughing at him while pointing to his amp. If he asks whats up, kindly tell him that his metal zone makes his tone sound like a mosquito and it puts you in hysterics every time he plays.
when he goes to his amp signal alone start crying while laughing and say he's killing you. You don't know how much more of this you can take so when are you going to start playing for real and stop joking around.

If he happens to ignore you, continue laughing and make little flutter noises on your bass. Start playing a country bass note groove. When asked why you doing that... kindly reply that you messing around just like him and wanted to get in on the swamp action and you wanted to share the spotlight with him.

All this is sure to bruise his ego and find alternate ways of getting a good guitar sound. Enjoy, hope this helps
Quote by evolucian
well, being a guitarist there is one way to make sure something happens. If he starts playing start laughing at him while pointing to his amp. If he asks whats up, kindly tell him that his metal zone makes his tone sound like a mosquito and it puts you in hysterics every time he plays.
when he goes to his amp signal alone start crying while laughing and say he's killing you. You don't know how much more of this you can take so when are you going to start playing for real and stop joking around.

If he happens to ignore you, continue laughing and make little flutter noises on your bass. Start playing a country bass note groove. When asked why you doing that... kindly reply that you messing around just like him and wanted to get in on the swamp action and you wanted to share the spotlight with him.

All this is sure to bruise his ego and find alternate ways of getting a good guitar sound. Enjoy, hope this helps

Haha, that's awesome.
Quote by evolucian

e-cookie for you

have you just thought that up? or have you had experience with it?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Find someone else to play with. Obviously he likes that tone, and if you don't you need to find someone else with a similar sound in mind.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
had the pleasure of the experience. My ex guitarist swore by his metal zone. He ended up throwing it away the next day. Unfortunately, he had a peavey amp which gave the same horrible mosquito vibe. We ended up getting a gt5 pedal which sort of helped. He dialled up his old sound again, lol. Lucky there was more than one preset.
Last edited by evolucian at Sep 3, 2008,
We had a second guitarist show up one day to try out. He started playing BS like that. Our lead guitarist was trying his best to make fun of him in a musical way... he turned his gain way up then just started playing short bursts of random chords at random times, doing it really bad on purpose. The other guy turned around with a smile and said "hey man, that sounds really good!" and was dead serious. Needless to say, we didn't call him back.
Crank your own distortion and play some Cliff. that'll teach him a lesson.
my old guitarist used to do this, turning gain and all his EQs to full and then using a terrible single coiled strat copy. my solution, told him to get a real guitar, which he did. Also I forbade the rest of the band to play any songs that required distortion.

EDIT:
I'd also say that jamming in a metal style is not easy at the best of times as metal is a complex genre that requires planning and skill to pull off well. try improvising on blues or funk, you'll have ALOT more fun.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Last edited by wouldyakindly at Sep 3, 2008,
Put the guitar in his ass. It'll probably be put to better use than in his hands. Sounds like your problem isn't improvising, but rather getting him to stop doing nothing more than making noise.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
Quote by evolucian

win

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Set his amp up, then threaten him with death if he ever changes the settings.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Oh oh i know this one Kill em it s the only way to stop him. Yes (clasp hands) i have a whole bassment of the the bastards.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by evolucian

this will result in a strat up the ass.

not fun.

or good for the tuners.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
this will result in a strat up the ass.

not fun.

or good for the tuners.

And may stain the finish.
Quote by BrickIsRed
And may stain the finish.

if SRV is anything to go by, nobody'll mind.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
KILL HIM... or ask him to get a good amp
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
As both a bassist and guitarist, talk to him about it - just tell him it sounds shit and to turn down the gain.

Or, if you could possibly beat him up, turn it down for him.
Ask him to borrow his guitar for a minute and then sit him down and play through his amp at him and demonstrate how he sounds and how you think he should sound. If it doesn't convince him, there's not a lot else you can do short of playing with more experienced and less stupid musicians.
what you could do, Is show him a diagram of a square wave, And tell him that's basically what he's doing to the signal from his guitar. He's destroying all the nauces and intricies of the sound from his guitar. you could explain to him that when you turn up the gain past a certain point, It doesn't make the guitar sound any more aggressive or heavier, It has the opposite effect, making it sound distant and weak. You could experiment with different techniques for getting a heavier sound, Such as down tuning, or playing with newer, thicker strings, or even looking at technique and playing style (eg: downpicking). he should find that in order to get the benefits of these he has to back off the gain.
What you could do, is talk to guitarists in other bands, Or ones he respects or admires (i'm talking about other amateurs - Not phoning up metallica and asking if they'll come round for tea) If it's the three of you, you could start by ripping him semi-jokingly about it, The chances are the other guy will join in. He's much more likely to bend to peer pressure from someone he thinks knows more about good guitar tone than him - which he doesn't see as the drummer or you even if you are actually quite schooled in the subject.
I remember once at a gig I played, I was having trouble finding the volume knob on the amp. I said to my other bandmates that If you unplug a bass whilst the volume's up there's a chance you can wreck the speakers, and they both started scoffing at me, Till the sound guy came over and was like "yeah, he's right". Put them in their places! haha
Last edited by jimRH7 at Sep 4, 2008,
you could ask him what he's playing, and when he explains you could use some knowledge of theory to make up a bassline or two to go with it. or go through what he's playing together and compromise on what you both think sounds good. such questions to use are;
"how do you want this song to sound?" and "do you think this goes well with the riff?"
KENZI199 is from the internet.