Ok, last time it was the second guitarist, now it's a problem between the bassist and drummer.

Let's start at the beginning:

We finally recorded our demo (5 songs) and were ready to gig. After 2 gigs the drummer claims to his a "dry spot" musically, and the bassist getting fed up - as it turns out they both got fed up because of a lack of interest in the band, so as a band leader I took steps to find us gigs.....plenty.

Now the problem - the drummer turned down a pretty big support slot with a local band just because of his girlfriend being under 18 (it was an 18+ show). This pissed the bassist off, proclaiming "we shouldn't EVER turn down a gig". Rightly so. They sort this out between themselves and I begin to think all is on track....Until today....

I get a phone call from the drummer saying he was asked by the bassist to make a 'metal side project' - this is only 10 months after starting this band and 2 gigs. Now, I'm ok with them doing that but why not a heads up? Are they doing it to get out of this band? Because I will gladly let them go and find new people, if they're not satisfied with the direction the band is going in.

I've tried reasoning with them, bending over backwards for them musically, accepting suggestions, guided them on their way as a band, and done ALL the promotion.

If they don't pull there fingers out, I'll find people who will - fair?

EDIT:
There was also an issue involving "music rights", adressed by the drummer.... I feel I have rights just because I wrote the guitar parts and lyrics, plus put the hardest work in.
Last edited by hellview_666 at Sep 3, 2008,
in my band, if someone was lacking in talent, annoying, or causing problems, i held onto them until i found a replacement. if someone in your band is causing problems, id tell them to get their act together or they are being replaced.
i've been in that position many of times, cause i am the band leader. all in all its just people that are lazy and dont want to put their time and soul in the music.
I think your best bet would be to call the whole band together, sit down, and have a talk about everything. It may turn out that they lost interest in the band, or they might just be going through a bit of a rough spot. Either way, talking to them would be your best course of action, and then you can make a desicion of whether or not to replace them afterwards.
Quote by dethklok21
in my band, if someone was lacking in talent, annoying, or causing problems, i held onto them until i found a replacement. if someone in your band is causing problems, id tell them to get their act together or they are being replaced.
i've been in that position many of times, cause i am the band leader. all in all its just people that are lazy and dont want to put their time and soul in the music.

Thanks. we've got a band meeting tomorrow night, to which I'm going to raise the issues and warn them that if they're not gonna work, they can get the hell out.

There was also an issue involving "music rights", adressed by the drummer.... I feel I have rights just because I wrote the guitar parts and lyrics, plus put the hardest work in.
Quote by hellview_666
I get a phone call from the drummer saying he was asked by the bassist to make a 'metal side project'.

---

Now, I'm ok with them doing that but why not a heads up?
That is your "heads up".

Not doing a gig because your girlfriend can't get in is utterly stupid.

But yes, what you're saying is fair. I'd recommend a band meeting and lay it all out for them; including all members.
Quote by ChrisN

...what you're saying is fair. I'd recommend a band meeting and lay it all out for them; including all members.

Exactly the plan. Cheers mate.
Search for Song Ownership, it will tell you everything you need to know with the "I own the music" arguement.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
saying you put in the most work isnt going to get it solved and there isnt really proof that you worked harder than the rest of the band.
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
The gig he turned down? He should have just taken her along with him to the gig, she's the drummer's girlfriend, who's gonna ask her if she's 18 or not? No one at a venue is going to turn around to a band member's girlfriend, check her age and ask her to leave, it'd just cause more problems than it's worth.
As long as she doesn't draw attention to herself no one's going to have a problem with her.

It does kinda look like your band is drawing towards a natural end though, which is always sad, but if things are really that bad between you, it's quite often a better option than carrying on and making each other more unhappy. It's just knowing if you're making the right decision or not, and only you can know that.

If it happens, make it happen gracefully. Avoid any arguments, sod the song rights, are they worth any money? Are they part of a well selling recording? Can you all agree that any one of you has the right to play it live with any bands you may end up in and that if you record it and sell it, you'll give the other guys royalties of any sales without losing any sleep? If you can then do it, and if you get another band together, write new material.
Split as friends that hope to be able to jam together again some time in the future.
Believe me, it's worth making the effort to split on good terms because if you don't, it can cause you all sorts of unnesessary grief later.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Sep 4, 2008,
UPDATE:

The band meeting is tonight. After having quick words with them over IM and phone it turns out there's not a problem with the 18+ gig now. In terms of music we're not signed. I have told them they're free to leave at any point if they cannot work out their differences. If they cannot work out the problem for the band on a whole, I will be leaving and taking the lyrics/riffs. I have meerly warned them what will happen if nothing is sorted out. It's definately not a natural end of the band as we all do want to work together...it's perhaps just a rough patch as someone has mentioned before and it seems we may get over it.