I've seen plenty of people mention specific exercises for the guitar, and that's great and all. But sometimes, there are songs I want to play that specifically address the skill I'm working on.

If I practice at a song, will I get better in those skills, or will I just learn the song and still have problems elsewhere? How much time should go to exercises (and which ones) and learning songs?
It's up to you. I've always learned songs, then took certain licks or riffs and use them as excercises.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Quote by BrokenBricks
It's up to you. I've always learned songs, then took certain licks or riffs and use them as excercises.

Exactly what I do.
Building a repertoire is very important in guitar playing and practicing. In your case Ninjamonkey767 even more so because it directly relates to new skills that you're practicing.
I would always supplement skills you are learning insongs with a variety of exercises to avoid being able to do a technique in only a few particular ways. Exercises are designed to improve and test your techniques.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Ninjamonkey767
that specifically address the skill I'm working on.

Well here's a question:
What do you think the (I'm assuming, fair assumtion given the fact its this site) guitarist did, did he/she learn the skill first or the song, then learn how to do it properly?
Well as long as you understand the skill and how the original artist arrived at what they're doing then it's fine to learn that way. They key point is that whether you learn through songs or exercises that you understand what you're doing and how to apply the technique to other ideas.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
+1 to Peters comments....errrr, I really need to practice what you preach! lol

Chris