I hope i'm not the only one on this entire webiste that thinks this so here goes...

I've been on here now for awhile and read the forums whenever i visit the site and once in a while i will read something that actually helps me out or i find out the answer to something i didnt know so it has it uses but theres one thing that really irritates me and that is the fact that on the individual bass and guitar forums there are just so many people that sum the stereotype of their instrument and i dont get why they dont seem to care about being themselves.

I read so many people wanting a tone like so and so or people wanting to be like so and so and i think to myself yeah i have bass idols that would be cool to be like or a bass tone i would love to have but i want to play like i play and i want a tone that i sat there and worked out for myself-you're never going to be like anybody else so why even bother trying? Sure take your influences but dont try to be like them, play like yourself.

The one thing that bothers me is bass players as i am one and i feel that whenever i say that to anyone they suddenly think less of me because of the stereotype of bassists and i get angry at the fact people that think that of me because so many people are the utter stereotype of a bassist and worse off they dont really mind being like that. WTF???

Now i believe that each instrument should have its place in a song but come on people push yourself slightly more and muster up more than an average bassline-bass should be heard in a song and we should stand up and been seen and heard not just stood there in the corner(a dark one at that).
The stereotype of a bassist is something no one should be proud of or aspire to be...(i'll give people a loophole as not EVERYone is like this)but i just hate seeing a band and seeing someone who doesnt really care about their image, someone who just stands there and doesnt put any energy into their performance and someone you can tell is just playing bass because they couldnt play guitar, or someone just stood with their bass hanging over their beer belly, they just make bass look so boring so no bloody wonder people laugh at them. I read the forums and have seen pictures of people showing them and their basses and its just depressing seeing them all look the same-image should never be the main thing in music as obviously the actual music and talent should be but people should at least try to look good and different.

Then as for the stereotypical guitarist why should you be the lead and focus of the song just because you have six strings? why should you be at the front all the time?

Something that pisses me off is when anyone who does something different usually gets slated for it(loophole still applies here)-i've been slated for saying i use a pick on my bass and where it low but thats my choice-apparently it doesnt make me a "real" bass player-WTF again??? Whys using your fingers make you real? where the hell did that belief come from? Anyone that tries to do something or play a little differently is wrong and not "real"-i'm sorry that i dont want to be like Jaco P, Vic wooten or whoever like that-i was placed on this earth to be me so why should i spend my time being like anybody else. Aswell because i dont play my guitar like its "supposed" to be played i'm not a real guitarist. There was me thinking music was about individuality and making and playing things exactly how you want...

I will stop now as i feel like i'm just ranting now and dont want to go off on too many tangents as that would lose my point but for those wondering what my point is well i just want to know why most people dont really attempt anything different with their instruments and actually be themselves and find their own sound and way of playing-like i said take your influences for sure but play like you and sound like you.
Bass....How low can you go?????
tl;dr??
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Cliffs Or Gtfo....
Quote by rich_sg
I've been here nearly 4 years now. I get no respect.

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
I think like that of sorts.
It is unfortunately a common trait in humanity, and one must learn to live with it.
To be content is a failing, as is such as being modest.

I personally think it's a lot better the way it is now. It makes the musicians who actually strive towards being original and different stand out.
For the tl;dr version: TS is pissed about people trying to be clones of their favorite musician and hates stereotypes

I see a lot of sense in that wall of text. Thinking like the kind you described is the reason that bands sound so similar to other bands. People listen to, lets say Angus Young just for the hell of it, and decide that because his playing sounds so cool that they want to play just like him. Then we end up with another AC/DC wanna be band. Not enough value is placed on individuality now.
Put on some pants, its time to dance! -The Happy Phrase

Quote by Alice Cooper
The hippies wanted peace and love. We wanted Ferraris, blondes and switchblades.

Quote by RhyseOrtiz
Banned because... Disaster, you good sir, are a f*cking genius!
I recommend editing for clarity, grammar, and punctuation, especially in the first half.
I recommend a tl;dr
I recommend bass forum

good day.
Last edited by kaplac at Sep 3, 2008,
Anyone notice how every "paragraph" is just a run-on sentence with a space space before the next run-on?
Look Left>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Left you idiot
The fact of the matter is that a lot of bassists simply don't push themselves to do anything more than the average, expected simply rhythms and root notes. Regardless of any stereotypes or anyone else, most don't do anything extraordinary.

And while I'm not saying bass doesn't take skill, talent, creativity or anything like that (because it does, and is underappreciated) the reality is that more often than not... guitarists are simply doing more work, or at least something more interesting. Obviously, this isn't always true. But usually, it is.
oh c'mom people get over the slight lack of punctuation and think about it-and to comment 12 why close it down?
Quote by JoeyDengler
oh c'mom people get over the slight lack of punctuation and think about it-and to comment 12 why close it down?

Because it's just a load of bitching. Don't give a sh*t about the stereotype, just worry about yourself. If you're good enough, you'll kick the preconceptions in the ass.
I also feel it's wrong to just give the bass root notes and simple shit all the time. I and a bassist friend write metalcore, with a bit of Human Abstract influence thrown into it, which would usually lead to just simple bass chugs, being a very guitar orientated genre.... but we never write him easy parts. He's insulted by it, and I feel it should have a bigger reason for being there. Often we even give him harder parts than the guitars.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If he puts it in the bass forum I'll be closing it within minutes.

With all due respect.
bass

pit

There should be no reason why this post should be an exception to the forum rules.
I get what you're saying, but really. Honestly. If you want attention, play guitar or play like Les Claypool. No one outside the musician community knows what a bass is, and the only part of the musician community that generally appreciates bass is the metalheads.

Yeah, you can make a name for yourself by playing a damn good bass, but the bassist is never the focal point. The bassist is never the one that people look at, and that's just the plain and simple truth. You can play as great as you want and you're gonna hear "Dude, you're a badass bassist" every now and then, but when you get right down to it the one people look at is the guitarist. If you can't accept that, you're going to have a lot of trouble working with other musicians.

Personally, I'm happy playing my 5-string guitar to the best of my ability whether people notice me or not. It's not about people seeing my playing and fapping because they love it so much. It's about playing and having fun with it, limelight or not.
Quote by JoeyDengler

What a lot of people need is a quick 2 or 3 sentence summary. I like reading so I actually read the post but when a lot of people see over 2 paragraphs they skip to the end of the post to see if there is a tl;dr version.
Put on some pants, its time to dance! -The Happy Phrase

Quote by Alice Cooper
The hippies wanted peace and love. We wanted Ferraris, blondes and switchblades.

Quote by RhyseOrtiz
Banned because... Disaster, you good sir, are a f*cking genius!
Quote by JoeyDengler

Slight? Out of 745 words you'd think there'd be more than 30 punctuation marks.
Look Left>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Left you idiot
im sorry i was gunna read it all but i nearly fell asleep partly through being slightly hungover but secondly because it was boring! u cud have condensed the whle thing into like 3 lines!!!
blah....blah.....blah.....blah

go see a shrink
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul
Cheap Acoustic
Marshall MG10
Peavy TNT130

If you're bothered about being stereotyped for your instrument, music really isn't for you
Quote by angus is god
maybe she passed out in the bathroom. You should have found her then had one of your friends yell "FINISH HER!" like from mortal combat and then jizz on her
i'n not bothered about being stereotyped-that isnt the point of this. IT seems like people cant be bothered to see the point of what i was saying instead you just focus on my punctuation-i just wrote how i felt, i didnt care about the correct structure so here goes for you all . , / ; ' # [ ] ) ( * & ^ % $ £ " ! ¬
but the whole point is there should never ever be stereotypes in music because if an instrument was meant to be played in one certain way then you wouldnt be able to play bass with a pick or whatever....
Quote by JoeyDengler
but the whole point is there should never ever be stereotypes in music because if an instrument was meant to be played in one certain way then you wouldnt be able to play bass with a pick or whatever....
Great...so now you've got that off your chest, move on with your life.
Yeah, I think like that. I take pride in having a nice tone which I worked out myself.

Quote by Deliriumbassist

What!? When did you become a mod?
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Wait what? Since when were you a Mod? O.o
sig goes here
lrn2blog
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...