Buying the squier vintage modified jazz,because Ive raised a bit more cash than expected Im now 90% certain Im gonna get this http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Fender-Standard-Series-Jazz-Bass-(Upgrade)-RW~ID~5648.asp same colour too.Unless I play both and find I like the Squier more.Lets wait and see but Im going to get a bass tommorow
Anyway reviews on the fender anyone?
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2T Dinky
ESP LTD KH-202
Yamaha APX-5-12A
Antares 12 String Acoustic
Earthfire Jazz Bass
Peavey Valveking 212
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey KB/A 15
BOSS MT-2
BOSS MD-2
Rocktek MWR-01
You may have changed your mind, you mean

It's a Fender Standard...they're like the Big Mac of basses. Unless you particularly want steak it'll be fine.
i have one same colour and everything
get it
Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by bass-boy-garith
well done mr. kiss my bass, well done
Awesome .Im curious ,can this bass do heavy distorted tones,people will say get a P-bass but I much prefer the feel of jazz basses.
Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Yamaha APX-5-12A
Earthfire Jazz Bass
Peavey Valveking 212
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey KB/A 15
BOSS MT-2
BOSS MD-2
Rocktek MWR-01
Sounds like a good idea,but I cant find any
Could you link me to a few? Also are there any in the same price range,it cant be any more than £350
Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Yamaha APX-5-12A
Earthfire Jazz Bass
Peavey Valveking 212
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey KB/A 15
BOSS MT-2
BOSS MD-2
Rocktek MWR-01
I could check it with colleges mexi j bass if you want
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
what would that be called? a Fibson with Gender confusion issues?
Not keen on the first one,I love the aerodyne but I dont want to spend anywhere near that much.Il be honest I really like the jazz bass I suggested earlier,is there anyway I can make that more suitable.Also what makes it unsuitable,does it not cut through the mix well or something?
Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Yamaha APX-5-12A
Earthfire Jazz Bass
Peavey Valveking 212
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey KB/A 15
BOSS MT-2
BOSS MD-2
Rocktek MWR-01
Well that's a whole nother ball game. This is where I am lacking, I could suggest maybe a new amp, a direct box or fixing your eq. So I would ask one of the more experienced members of the board, or checkout the FAQ. Sorry I can't help you.
Last edited by ccam555 at Sep 3, 2008,
As I said in another thread, the VM Jazz is over rated. It sounds pretty good, but the build quality is TERRIBLE, just like it is on all squiers. Just pick each of them up, you will feel the difference right away.

Now, the sound advantage the Mexican Standard has is not as big proportionately as the build quality, but it DOES sound better. And keep in mind, you can replace sub-par wiring/pickups, you can't switch out the body and neck to fix the VM's problems.

BUT, to qualify everything, for what you pay, the VM Jazz is literally a STEAL. FANTASTIC beginner/intermediate bass, and I daresay it could almost be used on stage. It has some great features too, the bound fretboard and the Geddy Lee-style trap inlays rule.

Play both. I will tell you this much, a fender standard usualyl costs twice what a VM jazz does, and it IS debatable whether or not the Fender is twice as good. The key question to ask yourself is WHY you are buying the bass. If you want something to do the job right now, for maybe a year or two, get the squier, save your money. If you want to buy a bass now that you can keep for the next 10-15 years, get the fender. Even mexican standards appreciate in value, and they are great instruments.

But as I said, the Squier Vintage Modifed series in GENERAL is VERY hot. Many of the instruments in the line are getting suprisingly great reviews. Play both, and make sure you know how long you plan on keeping the instrument.
Well I decided yesterday in the shop no doubt in my mind whatsoever I was buying the squier.I picked it up and absolutely loved it,everything about it the feel,the sound(even with cheap pickups),the looks.Also the fact it was £130 cheaper than the fender.Due to this I noticed an Ashdown EB12-180 for £180 so I snapped that up also.At this moment I couldnt be happier with them both.Theres a load of tonal options and I love the sound.
Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Yamaha APX-5-12A
Earthfire Jazz Bass
Peavey Valveking 212
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey KB/A 15
BOSS MT-2
BOSS MD-2
Rocktek MWR-01
A lot of people put S*** on Squiers because they are cheep, but I realy like them. Thinking back, I wish I baught a Jazz instead of my P. You've definately made the right choice, ecpecialy if you could aford that amp aswell.
Quote by mwhan2209
Jesus Paul Jones and John Bonham.

What? I don't see a mistake in that sentence.
^ agreed. The VM's are about 5 times better for the price then the MIM's, even if they are a little overrated. If you played both and still like the squier, that's great because you saved yourself a lot of money and still got the bass you wanted. You can upgrade most of the sub-standard parts later ("most of" meaning everything except the wood). The fact that you still had money for a better amp, which will improve your tone much, much more than a better bass makes the whole thing fantastic. Also, The ashdown seems like a good amp as far as I can tell, one that will last you for a few years until you start doing serious gigs.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
I would go with the Fender. I think the Alder body is better then the Maple one. The Alder has a much warmer tone and I prefer that.
Nice choice in evreything, Jazz's are the best and you cant go wrong with ashdown. Im not sure but with a lot of ashdowns you need a second cab for them to run at full capacity.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul