Right now, ive got an ibanez rg model. I bought it a few years back, and a few years before that i had a rubbish epiphone les paul.

As you can see, its a natural progression. Im now looking to spend in the region of 400-500, and i was thinking about getting a dean.

Obviously there are alot of people on this site that will know more than me, so any suggestions on what axes are good would be appreciated.

edit: I play mainly metal, so it would be a guitar to suit that
Have you got a preference on body shapes, vibrato choices, active pickups etc?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by ~*Tutty*~
why upgrade? rgs are good for metal, any the only good deans are the dimebags + other signatures.

EDIT: 400-500 dollars or GBP?

Stab yourself over and over in the face.

99% of those Dime guitars are pure crap so Dean can cash in on a legend with all the 15 year old fanboys.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
I want to upgrade because its basically finished, the neck is just going to bits and the action is screwed up.

I have no preferences on anything, apart from active emgs as pickups.

And it would be 400-500 gbp, so about 1000 dollars.
Please for the love of god dont buy a Dean. They are horribly under specced for their price.

Take a look at this.

http://www.coda-music.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_45&products_id=4070

Id be all over this if i had a monkey going spare.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
That guitar seems kind of overpriced for a second hand guitar made of basswood.
Quote by nebiru

99% of those Dime guitars are pure crap so Dean can cash in on a legend with all the 15 year old fanboys.

+1,000,000

i ****ing hate them for that. he was only endorsing them for about a year, then they started to rape his name for sheer profit. lie those Dean Razorback Vs or those seven stringers. first off, he hated seven string guitars. second, he never liked Vs because you couldn't wrap yoursfle around them like an ML.

just like Jimi Hendrix with that energy drink.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by nebiru

The sad part is its not the 15 year olds buying them up. Hell most 15 year olds dont even know who Pantera are, its the middle aged guys that grew up listening to Dime that are buying up anything by Dean...

And a side note you want some of his good stuff pick up an older Dime Washburn or even better a Boogie Street Custom
Well, the dude that founded Dean guitars is leaving the company because it isn't up to his standards, so that should tell you something. But choosing a guitar is an intensely personal choice, so the only good answer is try as many different ones you can and pick the one YOU like best.
I'll second the schecter selection. I had a washburn dime signature that I sold right before he died and replaced it with a schecter 20th anniversary stealth. The schecter blows the dime out of the water. Set neck, mahogany body, grover tuners, ebony fingerboard, and Seymore Duncan dual humbuckers with a coil tap. This is an amazing guitar, also, I only spent about $500 usd on it.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
The sad part is its not the 15 year olds buying them up. Hell most 15 year olds dont even know who Pantera are, its the middle aged guys that grew up listening to Dime that are buying up anything by Dean...

Yeah, like my buddy Shannon. I still mock him for purchasing his cheap Dime-o-flage. He is a begginer though so I can't mock him too hard, he doesn't need an expensive guitar to start off with.
I'd suggest something from the LTD 400 range. Should be able to find something that you like. Also, most are eqipped with EMGs.
Schecter C1 Hellraiser.
Quote by nebiru
Yeah, like my buddy Shannon. I still mock him for purchasing his cheap Dime-o-flage. He is a begginer though so I can't mock him too hard, he doesn't need an expensive guitar to start off with.

Yea those Dime-o-flage are something else .. Most people I know just buy them to hang on the wall, thats about all there good for lol
Quote by guitarandbmx
I want to upgrade because its basically finished, the neck is just going to bits and the action is screwed up.

I have no preferences on anything, apart from active emgs as pickups.

And it would be 400-500 gbp, so about 1000 dollars.

Have you considered getting it properly set up? Because it should by no means be finished. Especially after only a few years.

Also, what amp do you have? No point wasting loads of money on lots of guitars without a nice amp.

Finally this belongs in the Electric guitar forum, not GG&A, but whatever
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.