So im thinking of buying an Ibanez Tube Screamer since TDWP have one but what exactly is an Overdrive pedal used for? Sorry im kind of a N00B
All I can do is stare at this question with utter disbelief.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Really? I couldnt tell

Well, i personally (many do too) use mine for a gain and tone boost in solos, or i use it on all the time as it nicely tightens up your tone.

Word of advice, dont get something coz someone you look up to has it. In this case its a good choice IF you find one necessary
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Quote by TDWP RULEZ D00D
LOl I did say I was a N00B

Well, then why the f**k do you need one?
They are a fair amount of cash for something that isnt a total necessesity, make sure you really need one if possible by trying one out.

But we should all cut you some slack, you havent been here long
Quote by Mind Kill

Because TDWP has one and TEY ARE TEH BREWTALZ BRO!!

Breakdowns for jesus yo.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by Mind Kill

He didnt know what it was, so he came to find out. He didnt say he needed one. Give him a break. For all he knew a tubescreamer was some kind of device that made you some kind of super shredder instantly.
But if you do decide to get this pedal, please consider the MANY other alternatives. There are other cheaper/more expensive possibilities which may suit your playing style more. Search around
Ibanez tube screamer is nice. i own the ts9 and its not the best overdrive/distortion pedal ive gotten. Proco RAT is what i am currently using and i enjoy it. But im really looking into getting a Vox Satchurator.
haha, there are some some funny post on here...

TS, lemme try to help you out..i also love TDWP, they're one of my favorite bands.

a tubescreamer is a pedal which a lot of people use to 'boost' and 'tighten' your tone.

they DO not work that well with solid state amps, but they make a difference when teamed with a tube amp. for instance...on my 5150 (same amp chris rubey uses occasionally) i would plug in the pedal, turn gain off on the pedal, but crank the level knob & fiddle with the tone knob for whatever suits me.

its really for pushing the pre-amp tubes in your amp so that you can get that good gain you crave without making yourself go deaf

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by jcp42877
its really for pushing the pre-amp tubes in your amp so that you can get that good gain you crave without making yourself go deaf

That's what a clean boost is for. An overdrive like the Ibanez TS adds some distortion.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
Quote by UpTheIrons!
That's what a clean boost is for. An overdrive like the Ibanez TS adds some distortion.

TS..yes, yes..he's correct, haha..i misstated my reply, the tuebscreamer adds some gain and distortion so that you dont have to really blare your pre-gain on your amp..

like in my case, it would help my 5150 not be so fizzy because i wouldnt be using extreme amounts of amp disortion, but rather letting the pedal boost my low amount of gain, but enough to hit teh br00talz

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
IMO they do work well for solid states though, depending on which amp it is. Good for blues.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
Quote by UpTheIrons!
IMO they do work well for solid states though, depending on which amp it is. Good for blues.

ya, but if trying to get something "harder" than that, they're basically useless

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by nebiru
Breakdowns for jesus yo.

Dammit, If I had space in my sig, i'd totally sig that!

TS, an OD pedal drives your TUBE amp harder. If you have an Solid State amp, it's not gunna do much if anything. TDWP probably use it to tighten up the low end on their amps (Peavey 5150/6505s, right?) and boost the gain a tad since they aren't likely to do solos.
i thought i heard that TDWP use Mesa?... oh well there all high gain. yeah, TS make sure you can try one out before u buy it. and its a waste of money if u have a SS amp, since tube screamers drive tubes harder to get the best tone.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
There is a common misconception that "tubescreamers" are for tube amps. This is simply not true. The Tubescreamer is an OD pedal which tries to emulate the sounds of an overdriven tube amp. You can quite easily use them on SS and tube amps, but obviously because most people like the sound of tube amps stock vs SS stock, a T on top of a tube will most likely sound better than a TS on top of a SS.

I use my TS-9 to get a better OD tone (using tone knob) + add gain if necessary.
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
Personally, I hate the TS9. The midrange hump is terrible. That is supposed to make a sterile amp sound more "tube-like" by boosting the mids.

Alot of guys use these by turning the distortion all the way down and turning the volume way up. This minimizes the midrange hump and drives the input signal to the pre-amp tubes harder.

If you want to try one out, buy a Behringer rip off for $20. (I think it's the TO100, but you can tell beause it's the same color as the TS9. sick green)

I have both a TS9 and a TO100. The TO sounds the same as the TS9. (shitty)

If you dig that pedal, then buy a TS9 reissue for $100. You'll probably pay someone $50 to mod it to a TS808 spec.

Blah, blah, blah.

TS9's suck.
^ or he could buy a maxon od-808.

edit: i forgot to add, TS9>you.
Quote by SmashandBurn
Teacher: "There will be a test tomorrow no exceptions."

Student: "What about complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."

Quote by imdeth
Lesbian Link ladies. Oh yes.
Quote by 2_much_gear
Personally, I hate the TS9. The midrange hump is terrible. That is supposed to make a sterile amp sound more "tube-like" by boosting the mids.

Alot of guys use these by turning the distortion all the way down and turning the volume way up. This minimizes the midrange hump and drives the input signal to the pre-amp tubes harder.

If you want to try one out, buy a Behringer rip off for $20. (I think it's the TO100, but you can tell beause it's the same color as the TS9. sick green)

I have both a TS9 and a TO100. The TO sounds the same as the TS9. (shitty)

If you dig that pedal, then buy a TS9 reissue for $100. You'll probably pay someone $50 to mod it to a TS808 spec.

Blah, blah, blah.

TS9's suck.

way to bump a almost month old thread.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE