Ok, this is more about music than anything else, but when I listen to various tracks i find it somewhat difficult to make out the bass in a song, especially in some of the heavier genres. Does anyone know why it is sometimes hard? (especially live performances) I know the bassist plas a massive role, but I can't hear it!
Because it is of a lower frequency that takes a little bit more focus to listen in on.
Quote by NKF176
Ok, this is more about music than anything else, but when I listen to various tracks i find it somewhat difficult to make out the bass in a song, especially in some of the heavier genres. Does anyone know why it is sometimes hard? (especially live performances) I know the bassist plas a massive role, but I can't hear it!

Well it depends on how the song is mixed during the production and partially because of the speakers you're using. Live performances should be easier to make out the bass though.
Because in most bands the bassist just plays the exact same thing as the guitarist(s) making it difficult to distinguish between the two instruments. Listen to Between the Buried and Me's album Colors and you'll hear how much more the bassist can add to a song by not playing the exact same thing as the guitarists.