Hi

Every time I record a song after i have practised it for months to perfect it, it always sounds terrible when i record it and listen to it but i dont know why . Could it be because ive got the wrong effect or is it just my playing is not very good

Thanks
jihedley
Are you recording to a metronome?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
What's your recording equipment?
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
No i didnt think of that actually . But i usually use backing tracks but in audacity i cant hear the backing track and my guitar when im recording, i can only hear one of them. My equipment is a zoom g2.1u pedal put through audacity. and im using a Vintage vs6 guitar.
Quote by jihedley
No i didnt think of that actually . But i usually use backing tracks but in audacity i cant hear the backing track and my guitar when im recording, i can only hear one of them.

Well that'll be the problem then; if you need to line things up properly then a metronome is absolutely essential, preferably a click track in your audio project so that it all lines up all the time really.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Perhaps you could record your guitar whilst listening to the backing track through headphones on a CD or MP3 player? Then add the backing track into Audacity and sync the two together?
u can just throw in a click track in audacity and then get rid of it when ur done
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
Thanks for the quick replies! ill try recording with a click track and if that doesnt suceeded i will try recording with the backing track through headphones .

Thanks
Quote by jihedley
No i didnt think of that actually . But i usually use backing tracks but in audacity i cant hear the backing track and my guitar when im recording, i can only hear one of them. My equipment is a zoom g2.1u pedal put through audacity. and im using a Vintage vs6 guitar.

this may be obvious but you are making sure that the backing track audio is coming through and not the guitar when recording right?

at the end of the day though, you need better equipment for a good quality recording.
i have a zoom G2 pedal but don't use it any more purely because it sounds crap, i couldn't get any decent sounds when recording from it onto audacity, the cleans sounded alright though. anyway, my point is it might not be you sounding bad, just the recording, record an accoustic song and then you'll know if you sound bad or not?
JacK!