So there's these two kids that I've jammed with a couple times. I would be interested in starting a band with them except for one major problem:Are jams aren't very porductive at all.

For instance we jamed earlier today and this is basically what happened We played like the 5-6 songs we can all play and then were just like "what do you wanna play" "I wanna play song xxxxxxx" "but I can't play song xxxxxxx" and that went on for about an hour. Whats some advice for having more productive practice?

Thanks
Choose songs to learn for next practise and STICK to that. Just 1 for each practise or everyone will have just learnt bits and bobs of ones and not others.
I had the same problem with a band I was in until we sat down and decided upon some different songs that we wanted to do. So basically take the time each practice to set out some songs that you would want to play at the next practice, and keep playing the older songs etc etc.
Personally, I find that the drummer has to be the most problematic part of practices. If he/she has their part down, then things usually go smoothly. But here's what you can do. Learn /everyones/ parts. Even airdrum the basic rythym. That way you can be prepared if someone forgot to learn their part, you can easily teach/take over for them.
The Pit. The Movie.
You guys should pick a song or two each week that you all agree to learn. When you get together run through the ones you already know and then practice as a group that one together a bunch. Next week [if you're ready] move it to the "ones we already know" pile. In a month or two you will have a big list to choose from.

Try to keep your group practice sessions to two hours or so. Otherwise everyone gets tired and a little burned.

Have a plan for each practice. Keeps you from staring at each other going "What you want to do?" "I dunno what you want to do?" If no one comes up with a plan - then you take charge and make the plan ahead of time.

Also remember there are different self/group practice types:

Self Practice: You working on technique, skills, your parts of the new songs by yourself.

Group Practice: The group working together to learn to put their individual parts together from the song and play them well.

Rehearsal: The group knows the songs from a technical perspective and now you are rehearsing your stage presentation of the material to prepare for your show.

Don't fall for the "We just do it off the cuff" mentally. Works for a very small percentage of bands. Almost every major act and top local group you have ever seen comes to the show prepared with a plan and having rehearsed their show plenty.

Practice+Planning+Preparation=Success.
Yah... Just work on like 2 songs at a time... And print the tab off for each part.. So they can look over it just incase.
wow thas a lot of reply

IYou guys are probably right and we should plan on choosing 1 or 2 songs before hand so we always have new stuff to play. We sorta but we had like a 6 song list to learn in like a day and a half so as you can imagine, that didn't go to well

Also do guys have any advice on jamming because ussually when we try to "jam" we just play one or two things over again until one of us gets bored and stops
Depends on your definition of jamming. For example, I jam with people in my studio and it's either free form just playing in a certain key and see where it goes, or we are writing new original songs and trading parts back and forth. Or sometimes we just say hey number of the beast in 1 ,2 3, 4 ....

But that is totally different from a band practice where we have specific things to get accomplished.

Jamming is good though. Helps build improvisation and listening to other people skills.

I might suggest you practice your songs and then take 10 minutes each practice to try and jam in a particular style. Make up your own thing. Like today let's try to jam something metal for 10 minutes. Drummer give us a beat. Next time, let's try and jam some slow blues for 10 minutes. Then you guys can try all kinds of stuff and have fun with it.
Last edited by yomang at Sep 3, 2008,