flea does i believe.

betcha didn't see that one coming
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
tim commerford

/thread
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
I use a Morley guitar wah on my bass, the bass one keeps too much of the low end and any bassist who uses distortion wants more AHHHH.
I have one. Ibanez. Quite a unique tone though.

I hear Morley do good ones.

As for famous ones, Cliff Burton based his playing on the wah when he soloed. Bootsy Collins was a wah user too i think.
I do.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Sonny_sam
/thread

Plenty of bassists use wahs. Bootsy, Geezer, JFK and Cliff are a few examples.
I do. Dunlop Original. The bassist from Sleep uses one amazingly. Check out Dragonaut by Sleep.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
I do. Dunlop Original. The bassist from Sleep uses one amazingly. Check out Dragonaut by Sleep.
It's a Mutron, isn't it?

I do love that song
Sounds like a Mutron to me.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

I know Johnny Christ used one as an effect on the song "Scream". I don't think they're that popular though...
I use one. kinda. not very often, certainly not often enough to pay fora real one but sometimes I use one.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
i use a morley dual bass wah, it sounds amazing. and with distortion you really can sound like cliff burton
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
I own and use a Dunlop 105Q. I do use it, but for little more than a fun effect.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by mosh_face
i use a morley dual bass wah, it sounds amazing. and with distortion you really can sound like cliff burton

Which distortion do you use? I use a Boss ODB-3 and I can only get a good Cliff sound with a Morley power wah. The bass one doesn't give me enough AHHHH, I found it more useful for playing clean bass and still maintaining a low end.
Quote by Hammerzeit
Bootsy Collins was a wah user too i think.

And how. The man was crazy on that thing. Which might be why he got his own signature from Snarling Dogs.

Don't believe me? But wait, I've got proof! http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Snarling-Dogs-Bootzilla-Bootsy-Collins-Signature-Bass-Wah-with-Fuzz-Pedal-?sku=150555

Never been able to try one, but I hear they're pretty dang fly.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
what about that bit in "no pain no gain" by scorpoins, that's bass wah, is it not?
Trujillo uses one on Death Magnetic.
If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest or some guy on TV telling you how to do your shit, then YOU DESERVE IT.
-- Frank Zappa, The Real Frank Zappa Book
I use one... sort of. I actually haven't used it in a couple of months. It's a Dunlop 100Q, I think, and is the same build and concept as a Dunlop standard guitar wah. Fitz said they suck, but I was proud of my $40 eBay purchase, and.... well, I'm definitely starting to see where he's coming from.
Quote by ThatGuy177
Does any one hear use a Tychobrahe Parapedal/Chicago Iron Parachute wah?
If only. Those things sound amazing.
Quote by Eklund
I believe John Myung uses one in Home.

When in the song?

I'm listening now and can't really hear it...
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

I'm currently in the market for a wah, and the two that stand out are either the Morley Dual Bass wah and the Crybaby bass.

The trouble is, I need a multi functional wah. I like the appeal of the crybaby leaving the bass signal unaffected, which makes it seem slightly more practical in standard riffing.

On the other hand, the classic Cliff solo sound of distortion and getting that screeching wah also appears, and as he used a Morley, that makes the Morley seem a better option in that respect.

Both pedals have players who use it in a way I would like to (Timmy C uses a Crybaby, and his tone on Calm like a Bomb is sexy. On the other hand, those classic Cliff wahs do have an appeal to the ex-Metallica fanboy side of me).

Anyone who is experienced with both who can shed some light on the tone of them comparatively?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Eklund
I believe John Myung uses one in Home.

can be, but I don't think so.

Petrucci does it and Rudess kinda.

John Myung just moves like that on stage in songs like that
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by gm jack
The Morley doesn't really sound like Cliff.

I wasn't really keen on it myself...too many things wrong with it.
Quote by smb
The Morley doesn't really sound like Cliff.

I wasn't really keen on it myself...too many things wrong with it.

So I'd have to go with a guitar wah entirely for getting those piercing wahs . I know I'd be tempted by getting a guitar wah in order to do that, but at this moment in time, I know I'll regret it.

Does anyone know if the Crybaby can produce a similar sort of effect? I love the Crybaby's tone for slower, bigger range sweeps, but how does it handle when you mess around with it at the top end of the sweep?

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
to gm jack theres also a an ebs wah and most of there stuff is good mi havent tried it yet but you should have a look at it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
to gm jack theres also a an ebs wah and most of there stuff is good mi havent tried it yet but you should have a look at it.

From the soundclips, that sounds gorgeous! I think with higher Q settings and then going into an overdrive, that could really scream, with and incredibly smooth wah in normal settings.

Thanks for the heads up.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1