I found the metronome online metronome and was wondering exactly how to use it to a beneficial manner. I'd be playing scales to it, like the minor pentatonic to try and increase speed. Should I start out at going for 2 notes per beat? Or what? One note per beat seems kind of slow. Also, I tried playing 2 notes per beat at 144 BPM and did it pretty easily on the scale, so basically the concept is on the first beat, I want to hit a note, one more note after that, and then the next note I hit falls on the next beat correct? And that's eighth notes yes? If I play the scale easily at 2 notes per beat at 144 should I start trying to play the scale at 4 notes per beat for 16th notes? I'm just not sure how to benefit from this, am I on the right track?
That seems very correct. Just remember to decrease the tempo when switching to 16th notes.

You could also do three notes per beat...triplets
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Alright thanks, so if I just continue to do this with scales this should increase my speed? And one more question, say if someone was playing the minor pentatonic, (don't really know many other scales) what would be considered playing it quickly? 180 BPM at 8th notes? Just an example here would be nice, something to shoot for I guess? Or maybe even a few exercises that any of you use with a metronome?
Speed is relative - like everything else. But what you said would be seen as fast I guess. Especially since you're doing pentatonic(2 notes per string)

You could work chromaticly. Playing like this:

D---------------------1-2-3-4--
A-----------1-2-3-4------------
E-1-2-3-4----------------------

But I would recomend trowing it all around to so you also do something like this...

D----------------------3-2-1-4-
A------------4-1-3-2-----------
E--1-4-2-3---------------------

Also try stringskipping etc... Be creative!
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Last edited by backtothe70s at Sep 3, 2008,
Wow thanks, I'll definitely try that. Throwing it around in there sounds like it would help a lot. =)
Quote by ashizero25
Alright thanks, so if I just continue to do this with scales this should increase my speed? And one more question, say if someone was playing the minor pentatonic, (don't really know many other scales) what would be considered playing it quickly? 180 BPM at 8th notes? Just an example here would be nice, something to shoot for I guess? Or maybe even a few exercises that any of you use with a metronome?

200 bpm, 16th notes, thats fast