Taken from:
http://www.facebook.com/wall.php?id=25193951431#/group.php?gid=25193951431

WHY?

1. Water is life. Fundamentally, it should not be a commodity that is bought and sold for profit.
2. Bottled water is anywhere between 240 – 10,000 times more expensive than tap water.
3. Bottlers pay little to almost nothing to access the water, making it one of the most unregulated Canadian resources.
4. Up to 40% of bottled water in Canada and the U.S. originates from regular municipal tap water.
5. Massive amounts of fossil fuels are burned in the fabrication and transportation of bottled water, which contributes to global warming.
6. Consumption poses a risk to health with traces of contaminants such as arsenic, mercury, antimony, and bromides having been found leached into the water via scientific studies.
7. The majority of the plastic bottles aren’t even recycled. Billions end up in landfills and release dangerous toxic chemicals and contaminants into the earth.
8. Bottled water corporations have spent millions of dollars suggesting that their water is purer and healthier than tap water, when the reality is that public water facilities are tested a lot more stringently.

Therefore, public tap water is more environmentally sustainable, fiscally feasible, and healthily accessible than bottled water. So join us in boycotting the bottle!

----------------------------------------------

HOW?

A. Drink tap water at home. If you prefer your water cold, why not refrigerate a refillable jug each day?
B. Purchase metallic bottles (e.g. SIGG) and bring your own water to school and work each day. Refill as necessary.
C. Think you can taste the difference? A Brita filter will do you the trick.
D. Say no to plastic bottled water and get your family and friends on board too.

UG I a,m challenging you to
BOYCOTT THE BOTTLE!
Do a simple thing, save money, save the environment.

Finish what ever bottled water you have in your house but make sure it gets recycled. Buy a Brita or water filter and a refillable water bottle. It's as simple as that. Take a few extra minutes out of your day to pour your own water into a refillable bottle, that's it. Just don't buy bottled water anymore.
Tell your family and friends to do the same
Sashki, I am happy that you are doing your part, and as for the drinking tap water, chances are if the tap water isn't drinkable there isn't too much bottled water...
The government of each country that has clean, reliable drinking water should send all our current bottled water to countries that are not fortunate to have clean water. Make a collection effort that if citizens from poorer countries return the empty bottles they get a small sum of money or food or a necessity.
Doing so already, I NEVER buy bottled water, it's dumb and a waste of money.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by Vader, Darth
Saving the environment is for those Jedis and puny Ewoks.

Ewoks beat your ass, Vader, and you KNOW it.
That's exactly why I don't buy bottled water, plus it's stupid. Even worse is the people who buy flavored bottle water, why would anyone buy that? if you want to drink something with flavor buy something else like....idk, JUICE! or Gatorade?
Anyways, yeah good job posting that. I hope some people take it into consideration.
Quote by OCDeity
Preaching to nobody. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

How can you say something like that? Nothing to see? How about seeing a viable way of helping to save our environment? Is that nothing to see?
Quote by floppypick
Doing so already, I NEVER buy bottled water, it's dumb and a waste of money.

Agreed, it apparently costs somewhere between 240 to 10,000 times more then tap water for the same amount.
Quote by TrasherFromHell
That's exactly why I don't buy bottled water, plus it's stupid. Even worse is the people who buy flavored bottle water, why would anyone buy that? if you want to drink something with flavor buy something else like....idk, JUICE! or Gatorade?
Anyways, yeah good job posting that. I hope some people take it into consideration.

Or buy Crystal Light or some other product similar to it and add that into your refillable water bottle. It's got much more flavour then flavoured water sold by Nestle and other brands
Last edited by Enemy.ofkhanate at Sep 3, 2008,
i don't drink bottled water, not because of the bottles but because i'm lucky enough to live in a place that has clean water on tap, not everyone does.
No thanks.

I usually bring water with me, but if its hot and I drink all that water. What am I going to do then? Dehydrate? Yeah right. It's not like there's water fountains or places where you can refill your bottle. Hte only place I know where you can do that is my college. ANd even then I use an old plastic bottle.
I have yet to find a refillable container other than a bottle for my water that does not leak.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

When I saw "boycott the bottle" I thought he was going to tell me not to drink beer.
Almost had to tell the enviro to go to hell.

But yeah, old news.
Quote by Enemy.ofkhanate
How can you say something like that? Nothing to see? How about seeing a viable way of helping to save our environment? Is that nothing to see?

the environment doesnt need saving. its fine.

i personally have tap water, its just cheaper than bottled water.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
I'd only buy bottled water if I was out and really thirsty but with no access to free water...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
What has the environment done for me? huh?.
Music Man JP6 BFR
Music Man JP6
Mesa Boogie Nomad 100 (selling soon to fund a Mark V)
Nope, infact now im going to use twice as much, I'm even going to use Evian for ice cubes

cookie for anyone who gets that reference.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by Ichikurosaki
A. Drink tap water at home. If you prefer your water cold, why not refrigerate a refillable jug each day?

I don't haz a jug

Your mom has 2. Sure you can borrow one

Also... I think we have bigger issues than dirty dirty bottled water apparently ruining the world.
It costs more money to recyle than it does to dump
For the whole of the USA's garbage disposal, only a dump sized 30x30 mile would be needed, for a thousand years.
Dumps can be terra-formed into greenery and parks.
It costs money for the workers

And, I don't think I even need to talk about global warming, lol.

But yeah, I can see your point of view on the expenses of it, etc.
Quote by texico11
That always makes me laugh. I understand the rest of the argument, But people always put there argument in a bad context that is kind of hypocritical to later statements.

Like said earlier. Why should i bother recycling the bottles? it's only a couple of bottles here and there. Of course, they add up into billions But so does those "few extra minutes" that people spend. you take one minute out of every day and in an average lifetime you've wasted 25,200 minutes just refilling water. Now do that for everyone on the planet and you see how that builds up. So using "it's just a few minutes" as an argument is just as pointless as "it's just a few bottles."

Regardless, i still support this movement.

How long would it really take to fill up a Nalgene bottle and put it in the fridge? 30 seconds? That's nothing, and you're saving money too, over time bottled water will add up, as it cost anywhere from 240x to 10,000x the cost of tap water when you look at the cost of it per mL or the unit it is measured in the United States.

Here is an interesting article:
Top 6 Myths: About Bottled Water WebMD Feature from "Marie Claire" Magazine By Anndee Hochman Marie Claire magazine logo Bottled water — already a more than $10 billion industry — is the fastest-growing beverage category in the U.S. But is it good for you? Here's the pure truth. Myth #1: BOTTLED WATER IS BETTER THAN TAP. Not necessarily. While labels gush about bottled water that "begins as snowflakes" or flows from "deep inside lush green volcanoes," between 25 and 40 percent of bottled water comes from a less exotic source: U.S. municipal water supplies. (Bottling companies buy the water and filter it, and some add minerals.) That's not really a bad thing: The Environmental Protection Agency oversees municipal water quality, while the Food and Drug Administration monitors bottled water; in some cases, EPA codes are more stringent. Myth #2: PURIFIED WATER TASTES BETTER. The "purest" water — distilled water with all minerals and salts removed — tastes flat; it's the sodium, calcium, magnesium, and chlorides that give water its flavor. The "off" taste of tap water is the chlorine; if you refrigerate it in a container with a loose-fitting lid, the chlorine taste will be gone overnight. Myth #3: BOTTLED WATER WITH VITAMINS, MINERALS, OR PROTEIN IS MORE HEALTHY THAN REGULAR WATER. "Vitamins, color, herbs, protein, and all the other additions to water — those are a marketing ploy," says Marion Nestle, Ph.D., professor of nutrition studies at New York University. Plus, the additives are usually a scant serving of the vitamins you really need in a day, adds Amy Subar, Ph.D., a nutritionist with the National Cancer Institute. Enhanced waters usually contain sugars and artificial flavorings to sweeten the deal and can pack more calories than diet soda. When it comes to providing fluoride, tap water usually wins, though that element is increasingly being added to bottled waters. Myth #4: YOU NEED EIGHT 8-OUNCE GLASSES OF WATER EACH DAY. The Institute of Medicine recommends about 91 ounces (a little more than 11 8-ounce glasses) of fluid daily for women. But here's the thing: It expects 80 percent of that to come from water, juice, coffee, tea, or other beverages and the remaining 20 percent from food. That means if you drink a 12-ounce cup of coffee and a 12-ounce can of diet soda, you only need 48 more ounces (three 16-ounce glasses, or four soda cans' worth) for the day. Myth #5: AFTER AN INTENSE WORKOUT, BOTTLED WATER IS BEST. There's a reason volunteers hand out Gatorade during marathons. If your workout lasts longer than an hour, you need to replace the water and electrolytes, such as sodium and potassium, that you've lost (that's what sports drinks generally do). For less intense workouts, regular water is fine. Myth #6: WATER BOTTLES ARE EASY ON THE ENVIRONMENT BECAUSE THEY CAN BE RECYCLED. Wouldn't it be nice? And it's not just the bottles. Eco-costs include manufacturing, trucking, shelving, and marketing. And meeting the annual U.S. demand for plastic bottles requires enough oil to keep 100,000 cars on the road for a year, says Janet Larsen of the Earth Policy Institute. Sure, the 70 million empty water bottles the U.S. produces per day can be recycled, but the sad truth is, about 86 percent of them end up in the trash. Hardly worth it, for what flows out of the tap and into a reusable glass for free.

Source
Last edited by Enemy.ofkhanate at Sep 3, 2008,
I've been doing it for years.... big whoop..

Saving the environment is for those Jedis and puny Ewoks.

And greenpeace love us for it..
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Quote by TrasherFromHell

Because Vitamin Water and Life Water are basically gatorade. It's not flavored water.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
That's not true about the tap water, I live in Canada, and in my old home town Kitchener has un drinkable water, and my old town Brantford doesn't either.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Quote by TrasherFromHell
I don't drink bottled water either but the point of flavoured water is that they usually use artificial sweeteners which result in 0 calories. Gatorade is LOADED with calories, while juice also contains sugar (added as a sweetener in the worst case scenario but fruits do contain their own natural sugars to begin with). So for people watching their calorie intake water is the best thing to drink.

That doesn't mean that I drink flavoured water, artificial sweeteners come with their own health issues, but in response to "for people who want to drink something with flavor" there is a point that can be made in favour of flavoured water.
Who cares? You can't have tap water everywhere. Also, I don't care enough about the environment to do that, because it doesn't make a whole lot of a difference at all, and the environment is just fine without being that concerned about it.
Quote by frottage
Who cares? You can't have tap water everywhere. Also, I don't care enough about the environment to do that, because it doesn't make a whole lot of a difference at all, and the environment is just fine without being that concerned about it.

Well then I hope that it is people like you who are the last to go if our environment can no longer support us. If you are the last to go you will go through all the pain and witness everything just because you didn't care enough.
Quote by Enemy.ofkhanate
Well then I hope that it is people like you who are the last to go if our environment can no longer support us. If you are the last to go you will go through all the pain and witness everything just because you didn't care enough.
Not having a solid opinion on the matter and just to play devil's advocate, one alternative position is that people like you could spend your whole life (and a ton of hard-earned money) worrying about something that ends up being a complete non-issue.

I'm reminded of the episode of Penn and Teller's Bullshit where they attend a Greenpeace rally and ask people to sign a petition to support a ban on dihydrogen monoxide. Most people signed it without asking a single question. Point being these people desperately felt the need to get behind a cause and do some good. They weren't really using their brains.

With that said, I don't disagree with a single thing that was said in your original post regarding bottled water (in fact, now that I think about it, Penn and Teller also did an episode on bottled water).

P.S - for those who didn't get it: dihydrogen monoxide is another way of saying "2 hydrogen, 1 oxygen" in other words "H20", in other words "water". A few people on the show got it but they ended up with a hilariously obscene amount of signatures.
Quote by Enemy.ofkhanate
Taken from:
http://www.facebook.com/wall.php?id=25193951431#/group.php?gid=25193951431

WHY?

1. Water is life. Fundamentally, it should not be a commodity that is bought and sold for profit.
2. Bottled water is anywhere between 240 – 10,000 times more expensive than tap water.
3. Bottlers pay little to almost nothing to access the water, making it one of the most unregulated Canadian resources.
4. Up to 40% of bottled water in Canada and the U.S. originates from regular municipal tap water.
5. Massive amounts of fossil fuels are burned in the fabrication and transportation of bottled water, which contributes to global warming.
6. Consumption poses a risk to health with traces of contaminants such as arsenic, mercury, antimony, and bromides having been found leached into the water via scientific studies.
7. The majority of the plastic bottles aren’t even recycled. Billions end up in landfills and release dangerous toxic chemicals and contaminants into the earth.
8. Bottled water corporations have spent millions of dollars suggesting that their water is purer and healthier than tap water, when the reality is that public water facilities are tested a lot more stringently.

Therefore, public tap water is more environmentally sustainable, fiscally feasible, and healthily accessible than bottled water. So join us in boycotting the bottle!

----------------------------------------------

HOW?

B. Purchase metallic bottles (e.g. SIGG) and bring your own water to school and work each day. Refill as necessary.
C. Think you can taste the difference? A Brita filter will do you the trick.
D. Say no to plastic bottled water and get your family and friends on board too.

UG I a,m challenging you to
BOYCOTT THE BOTTLE!
Do a simple thing, save money, save the environment.

Finish what ever bottled water you have in your house but make sure it gets recycled. Buy a Brita or water filter and a refillable water bottle. It's as simple as that. Take a few extra minutes out of your day to pour your own water into a refillable bottle, that's it. Just don't buy bottled water anymore.
Tell your family and friends to do the same

My tap tastes horrible, and I don't have green tea on tap. If I had Green Tea on tap I would, but I don't.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Damn hippies. Weren't you all supposed to die out when Hendrix went?
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.