I've been sitting here all day with about half a song down and can't think of chords at all to use for the chorus and I just don't know.. I refuse to use just major and minor chords I want to go beyond that which is why im finding this difficult. I don't know how to produce chords that sound well with each other, I do know a lot of theory and have been playing around all day with ideas but just can't get anything substantial to work with. Does anyone have any ideas on a way to get something? I've tried finding inspiration and everything, I had a nap, relaxed, rocked out. I just don't know how to get any ideas..
you can't know a lot of theory and not know whether you should use major or minor.
check out my sig.

and also, don't forget there are lots of chord alterations.
and suspended too.
No its not that, its that I dont want to use major and minor chords in their simplicity because I want to make something more complicated, i obviously know when to use them. I don't want to be another guy who writes songs using just major chords and minor chords, to me that gets repetetive and sometimes boring so I want to be more adventurous.
lol, try polychords, polyrhythms.
or again, just try chord alterations. like elevenths, ninths, etc etc.
on weird positions too, with strange inversions.
try the book on my sig.
Chord substitutions is what you need.
incidentally the book mentioned in RCalisto's sig - 'A guide to chords, scales & arpeggios - by Al di Meola', happens to be a great source of knowledge for alternative chords/substitutions, and building a good chordal vocab.you might wanna check it up(there are some mistakes in the book, be careful).
also when youre in this kinda trouble, you might wanna check out a fakebook or two, to see how the pros used substitution.
use extensions, 7ths, 9ths, and such. Make up your own chords via voice leading. Use inversions and suspensions. do it for the sound, not to be original, sometimes straight major or minor is just what the doctor ordered!
Standard Fender Telecaster
Fender Blues Jr
Ibz10
Quote by RCalisto
lol, try polychords, polyrhythms.
or again, just try chord alterations. like elevenths, ninths, etc etc.
on weird positions too, with strange inversions.
try the book on my sig.
+2 for polyrhythms, but -1 for polychords. You only get a +1 for that post.

T/S, what sort of music are you writing?
Nobody who isn't a guitarist cares WHAT type of chords you use as long as it sounds good. There is nothing at all wrong with just using major and minor chords; many guitar heroes have made their careers using just those. Just saying.

If you're gung ho about using different chords, start by using suspensions in combination with major and minor chords to add a bit of interest to the chord progressions. Also, add9 and madd9 chords are easy tools for creating more interesting chord progressions.

I don't know what kind of music you write and play, but after that you might think about learning the different types of 7th chords and their possible extensions.

Also, using interesting rhythms can turn a so-so musical passage into an amazing passage, so take full advantage of your rhythmic vocabulary.
known as Jeff when it really matters
I prefer writing all of my pieces in 16/17 time. It allows for a constant stream of ideas to flow into the listeners' mind as the piece unfolds.

Try either that or 19/18 time.
Quote by jdmarsh2005
I've been sitting here all day with about half a song down and can't think of chords at all to use for the chorus and I just don't know.. I refuse to use just major and minor chords I want to go beyond that which is why im finding this difficult. I don't know how to produce chords that sound well with each other, I do know a lot of theory and have been playing around all day with ideas but just can't get anything substantial to work with. Does anyone have any ideas on a way to get something? I've tried finding inspiration and everything, I had a nap, relaxed, rocked out. I just don't know how to get any ideas..

That's just stupid - major and minor chords are going to be the backbone of anything you create, you'd generally use more complex chords to give a sense of motion when moving between chords, like using a dominant 7th to lead back to the root. The best way to go about it is to look at your melody line and use that as a guide for finding scale tones to add to your base major and minor chords.

If you want a quick reference as to which chords fit into which key.
http://www.guitar-chords.org.uk/chords-key-c.html
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by RCalisto
you can't know a lot of theory and not know whether you should use major or minor.
check out my sig.

and also, don't forget there are lots of chord alterations.
and suspended too.

no offense but im really tired of reading people's responses just to look at their signature. your like 16 years old; a better answer would be find a real teacher.
Quote by LawnDwarf
no offense but im really tired of reading people's responses just to look at their signature. your like 16 years old; a better answer would be find a real teacher.

none taken!
i'd never be offended by someone has unhelpful as you are.
Quote by LawnDwarf

You would be right, if you ignore the fact that there's a link to one of the most popular and referred-to theory sites on the internet in his sig.
Quote by LawnDwarf
And what good would that do? Most guitar teachers only teach songs through tabs (and rarely theory, improvising, reading, technique or anything good) and the rest are so damn expensive you'll need a job shoveling the queens shit. Use the internet, teach yourself.

Once again, what style of music are you going for T/S? Rhthym is one factor which defines the style of music. Its different for every genre. You couldnt apply the same rhthym to a blues song as to a sicilian folk song. It just wouldnt work. If you want help, tell me some of your influences or something similar to what you want to write.
Quote by LawnDwarf

It's "some people's" response to having typed the same stuff a dozen times when it's easier to answer about 90% of questions by linking to old answers.

Saves me more time than I can even begin to describe. Helps people more too.

Anyway, TS, can you write stuff with just major and minor chords? It being so easy and common and all?

If so, just add a few tritone subs, extend everything to at least a 9th, and then you'll sound really clever.
I'm not some person who is incapable of using simple major and minor songs, I use them all the time, I just wanted to make my songs sound different by using different chords and extentions. Maybe i wasn't clear. I'm just tired of writing songs and just using those same chords really, I wanted something different, something more.
Quote by jdmarsh2005
I'm not some person who is incapable of using simple major and minor songs, I use them all the time, I just wanted to make my songs sound different by using different chords and extentions. Maybe i wasn't clear. I'm just tired of writing songs and just using those same chords really, I wanted something different, something more.

Well, if you can write a solid triadic progression, there's lots of handy devices available to spice them up. Polychords, extended dominant chords, quartal harmony... Perhaps take a look into a few Jazz fake books and learn some graded classical theory for new ideas.
Quote by jdmarsh2005

so what's the connection to the thread title 'Rhythm Ideas'?
out of here