Page 1 of 2
Why does everyone dislike it so much?

I asked the guy at the guitar store what he would recommend me to buy, a 100 watt Fender Frontman (299$) or the Peavey ValveKing 112 Combo Amp (399$)...Despite the frontman being 100$ cheaper, he told me to go for that one, when I asked him why he thought most people disliked it he said it was because the knobs are fragile, but he told me it's better than the peavey.

Thoughts?
Quote by Swap-Meet
Thoughts?

Hes an idiot.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Marshall JCM200 TSL100 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.
Quote by TehFluffy
Hes an idiot.

This.

He's selling what he needs to sell, not what is better.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Not better than the Peavey. I have a VK, and its actually a good amp. I can get a very nice clean tone out of it, and the OD might need a pedal, but will work for most things with the right EQ and pickups. The Frontman, on the other hand, sounds nowhere near as warm and nice as the VK does to me IMO.
Wow, that must of been a really shit guitar store.....

The Peavey wins simply because its a tube amp and if the guy at the guitar store told you otherwise he quite clearly hasn't got a clue about anything guitar related, simple as.
do you want higher gain? then it's not for you.
do you want typical fender cleans? then it's not really for you.

the frontman series is the master of none, imo.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
My question is how many damn threads are you going to make regarding this $299 Frontman? This is like the fifth one that I've seen from you!

Its a SS Fender amp. Its got okay cleans and thats about it. Bottom line? It sucks - get the VK instead if its between those two amps.

Now please stop posting threads about this amp!
Quote by Swap-Meet
Why would he do that?

he gets paid commission, why would he take a pay cut to sell a crappier amp?

If he's manager or whatever, he'll try get rid of hard to shift units.

Same in stores all over the world. Get the Peavey, far better amp.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
maybe he thinks the VK isnt a good amp for you.

that doesnt mean the frontman is.

get the best amp for you, not the best of two amps presented to you.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Frontman doesn't cut it in the tone department. Simply put.

Now, I may be biased because I have the Valveking, but I seriously doubt that this guy is recommending the Frontman for tone...because then he's an idiot.

Go with the Valveking. It's overall a better amp. By a lot.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
Quote by Swap-Meet
Why would he do that?

he gets paid commission, why would he take a pay cut to sell a crappier amp?

Alot of places get perks or have contests going on sponsored by the companies of the amps they sell. Example if you sell 5 frontmans this month you get a free frontman or $100 bucks in spiff money. Also like stated a manager might want overstock pushed so he says hell sell these. Stores do what they need to do to stay in business. Which is why you should do your research before buying any product and never trust a Salesperson... I would know I was one for about 8 years lol
Quote by i_am_metalhead
My question is how many damn threads are you going to make regarding this $299 Frontman? This is like the fifth one that I've seen from you!

Its a SS Fender amp. Its got okay cleans and thats about it. Bottom line? It sucks - get the VK instead if its between those two amps.

Now please stop posting threads about this amp!

I've made 2 threads in this forum, calm down man. Before I wanna spend alot of money on something I wanna find out people opinions, and about an amp, considering I know next to nothing about amps.

Quote by dgme92
If he's manager or whatever, he'll try get rid of hard to shift units.

Same in stores all over the world. Get the Peavey, far better amp.

Naw, he's actually new there. I guess I'll try both out, and see which one I like more. Dunno if I'll be able to afford the peavey cause of other things I want / need

EDIT : Also, my friend has a 65 watt fender frontman...I think it's a special kind though cause it has extra things, like a build it tuner, and a bunch of different effects (I don't think most fronman come with this?)

anyways, his sounds pretty good (imo) with his tele, it has a pretty warm sound, and nice OD. (he plays a mixture of pop-punk, ska, reggae, and blues)
Last edited by Swap-Meet at Sep 3, 2008,
Quote by Yngwi3
This.

He's selling what he needs to sell, not what is better.

agreed. he's not necessarily stupid; he's probably hoping he'll get two sales out of it.

don't listen to shop-people's advice. ever. they have a vested interest, obviously enough.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jj1565
do you want higher gain? then it's not for you.
do you want typical fender cleans? then it's not really for you.

the frontman series is the master of none, imo.

i owned it for the worst 26 days of my life

then got my hotrod...atleast it has cleans lol

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
i owned it for the worst 26 days of my life

then got my hotrod...atleast it has cleans lol

I really want a hotrod, but way too pricey at the moment

Quote by forsaknazrael
Personally, seeing as you're in Canada, I would be looking at the Traynor series.

What is kind of music do you play?

for the most part Punk / Grunge

but there are songs I've written that are kinda pop-rock (beatles-ish), alternative, hard pop-rock (foo fighters/ QOTSA), Blues, and Metal (Iron Maiden / Black Sabbath)
^Look used, you can probably find one for under 400.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
^Look used, you can probably find one for under 400.

mine was 450used from an over priced shop so kevin is prob right

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

^I know I'm right, mine went for 395 on the bay and I saw some go cheaper.

Edit: Wow, I sound like a dick. No offense intended
Quote by timzee117
mine was 450used from an over priced shop so kevin is prob right

All the pawn shops in montreal are extremely overpriced, but I'll take a look when I get the chance.

Quote by forsaknazrael
Look for a used Traynor YCV40WR/YCV40T or YCV50 Blue. There should be a ton in your area, considering they're made in Canada.

Great amps.

they're a little pricey
Quote by Swap-Meet
Why does everyone dislike it so much?

I asked the guy at the guitar store what he would recommend me to buy, a 100 watt Fender Frontman (299$) or the Peavey ValveKing 112 Combo Amp (399$)...Despite the frontman being 100$ cheaper, he told me to go for that one, when I asked him why he thought most people disliked it he said it was because the knobs are fragile, but he told me it's better than the peavey.

Thoughts?

probably just trying to move merchandise on an unsuspecting kid (i bought a 100 watt MG halfstack, not as bad as fender though...).

beelive me, biig watts =/= good tone. i have never turned it up past 5 for a show. get a good tube amp.

oh, and people dont like the Fender FM series becauset the distortion is the muddiest, most undefined, worst tone ever.

let me put it this way, my buddy had a FM halfstack. we jammed together, with me on my MG. his amp was so bad, he whished he bought an MG.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
probably just trying to move merchandise on an unsuspecting kid (i bought a 100 watt MG halfstack, not as bad as fender though...).

beelive me, biig watts =/= good tone. i have never turned it up past 5 for a show. get a good tube amp.

oh, and people dont like the Fender FM series becauset the distortion is the muddiest, most undefined, worst tone ever.

let me put it this way, my buddy had a FM halfstack. we jammed together, with me on my MG. his amp was so bad, he whished he bought an MG.

uhhhh...is the distortion that bad even with a pedal?
Quote by Swap-Meet
uhhhh...is the distortion that bad even with a pedal?

Yes it still sounds terrible. It would be a waste to buy a frontman just to use a pedal on it while you could buy something far better.
Quote by Swap-Meet
All the pawn shops in montreal are extremely overpriced, but I'll take a look when I get the chance.

they're a little pricey

Mr. Swap Meet.

Do yourself and the world a favor. Offer this guy $450, and get this amp. Do it now!
http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/msg/817317980.html

It's also been listed a few times since the beginning of August. (A.k.a. you can probably offer him less than he's asking and he'll say yes)

If you play this amp, you'll never look at a frontman again.

-J
Quote by Swap-Meet
is it a combo?

also I don't have money yet, I get my paycheck in like 2 weeks (i think)

it'll be probably a little over 300

Did you even click the link?

Yes, it's a combo. Tube. 40w.
Quote by Nims
Mr. Swap Meet.

Do yourself and the world a favor. Offer this guy $450, and get this amp. Do it now!
http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/msg/817317980.html

It's also been listed a few times since the beginning of August. (A.k.a. you can probably offer him less than he's asking and he'll say yes)

If you play this amp, you'll never look at a frontman again.

-J

Yes. Good idea.

Listen to this guy, he has good advice.
Yeah, you'll email or call the guy and talk to him, then set up a time you can meet and make the deal. Like a drug deal, but more legal.
Quote by Swap-Meet
How do craigsworld transactions work?

Do we do it in person?

craigslist is a really cool place. Addictive too. Yes, you meet the person. That is the one of the benefits over something like ebay. The ad I linked you to is someone in your city! So you email or call them, and say you're interested in the amp and would like to meet and try it out. Simple as that. The company "craigslist" is not involved in any way.

If you like it, you pay the person directly and leave! That's it!

I've bought/sold: cars, trucks, motorcycles, found apartments, rented rooms, guitars, computers, etc. etc. etc. all on Craigslist. I've never had a bad transaction yet!

-J
^You'd have to ask him first, but generally that's the idea.
Quote by Swap-Meet
uhhh...That kinda sounds sarcastic, but kind of makes sense at the same time. Would he allow me to try it out with my guitar?

In the link I provided, at the top it says "reply to" and there is a jumbled address. Email that and tell them you'd like to come see the amp. You'll hear back from the seller, and you can arrange everything personally from there.

Chances are you'll just go over to their house and check it out there. It's not a store or anything, it's a regular person.

-J
Quote by Nims
In the link I provided, at the top it says "reply to" and there is a jumbled address. Email that and tell them you'd like to come see the amp. You'll hear back from the seller, and you can arrange everything personally from there.

Chances are you'll just go over to their house and check it out there. It's not a store or anything, it's a regular person.

-J

okay, thanks alot, check the PM i sent you please
I really like my FM212R. I bought it for the clean, discovered the overdrive, nearly returned the thing, but because I got it dirt cheap, I just used a little extra to buy a Bad Monkey. Run it through the clean and it can sound quite good. Really got some punch now and I enjoy listening to it. Overdrive channels have been used a total of once, because they are rubbish. But heaps of clean headroom (because it is unnecessarily loud) and a bad monkey, and I'm performing with it. Eventually I'll convert it into a 2x12 cab and run a supersonic head or something similar, and then eventually buy proper cab and either sell the Frontman, or use its spring reverb.
most folks selling guitar gear on craigslist are musicians and mom and pop shops. It's not like a drug deal - it's more like a Xbox deal. You check it out. You play it. You take your guitar and maybe a friend and you decide.
so-
Budget: $300 - 400?
Styles: Punk and rock?
Used: yes
home or gig?

PS: see my profile and feel free to pm me too!
PSS: the dials are not flimsy.
Page 1 of 2