I have a Peavey valveking that I have hooked up with a BOSS SD-1 Overdrive pedal that I've been using as a boost pedal. Every time I engage in boost, I get ungodly feedback that makes everytime I try to play "The Mechanix" It sounds like that h1a1y1d1e1n kid from youtube (well, not really, but it's pretty bad). The feedback is just terrible, and everytime I stop playing, I get terrible screeching and buzzing. I have a Jackson RR3 and have the pickups set pretty high. I have my amp gain on 8, and the boost level on 10. Are there any ways I can reduce my amp feedback without buying a noise gate? I don't have any $$$ to spend and don't wanna have to go digging around in the entrails of my amp unless I have to. Any help is appreciated.
put your amp on the clean channel and use it. or turn the gain down when you use it. running overdrive/dist pedals through an already distorted amp sounds like poopy.
Gear List is too long to sig.

JOIN THE TRUMPET PLAYERS ALLIANCE!
Quote by Supertait
^yeah that would be the problem here, they're a few tiles short of a roof and wouldnt undertand.

Lol^^
Quote by littel
put your amp on the clean channel and use it. or turn the gain down when you use it. running overdrive/dist pedals through an already distorted amp sounds like poopy.

I don't use the distortion on the pedal, though. I only use the pedals "level" setting as a boost.
Quote by Beebaboo
what about the pedal?

What do you mean what about the pedal? It should be fine. Just try it on clean.

EDIT: Just using the level as a boost might be too much for the amp. Just try it on clean damnit.
Gear List is too long to sig.

JOIN THE TRUMPET PLAYERS ALLIANCE!
Quote by Supertait
^yeah that would be the problem here, they're a few tiles short of a roof and wouldnt undertand.

Lol^^
i tried the valveking combo today. i had the same thing going on and i found turning off the gain boost eliminates the feedback
Quote by littel

EDIT: Just using the level as a boost might be too much for the amp. Just try it on clean damnit.

It sounds terrible on clean
Quote by littel

That makes no sense, level the level as a boost is usually a good way to increase gain.

TS: Turn the gain down, turning the treble down, turning your guitar down or moving further away from the amp should help with your feedback.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Lol you think you have feedback.... I need to make a recording of my amps with the noise gate off wooo boy its crazy...

Anyway gain boost on the amp off, amp gain 7-8. Level 10 Gain 0 on pedal. Treble 4.5-5, mids 8 and bass to taste. Give it a shot, you might have some feedback but it should be managable.
don't need to turn any gain down, get a noise suppressor. The Boss NS-2 is awesome, Yngwie Malmsteen and Tim Roth I know for sure use it.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Turn your gain down and don't stand directly in front of your amp. Turn down the the tone a little on the pedal.
Yeah, i've got the same problem. But it's only when i turn it past 1 on the vol. =\

But that's with my gain on 10. But when i want to turn it up to 2 (that's right.... TWO!!! ...) i turn the gain down to 7.

And also, the VK WILL FEEDBACK. That's an already well-known problem.

You only have two options:
1.) turn down gain
or 2.) get a noise gate pedal (which i'm doing, getting an ISP Decimator)
O O

___
Quote by tamargoguitar
If you have the gain on 8 why do you need a boost? in my opinion if you are using a pedal as a boost put it in the fx loop, it will sound much better

TG

An overdrive in the effects loop?

I don't think so buddy.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
An overdrive in the effects loop?

I don't think so buddy.

oh yeah shit i meant like a boost or eq...but hes looking for OD...my bad!

TG
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
Quote by tamargoguitar
oh yeah shit i meant like a boost or eq...but hes looking for OD...my bad!

TG

EQ in the loop, sure.

Boost? I really think for what he wants it to do, putting it in the effects loop would be pretty pointless.
Yeah... the Valveking gives feedback like pissed-off Anne Rice fans when she renounced the Vampire Chronicles.

You might want to stand back about 30 or so ft. to reduce feedback - after a certain distance, no matter how much gain I have on it, it tends to stop feeding back on me somehow. This is also dependent on a number of things: 1) Is it up loud? 2) Are your pickups potted? 3) Is your guitar properly shielded? 4) Is the gain boost on? (The gain boost usually does more harm than good for me)

The louder an amp gets is the more it tends to feed back (with gain) You can pretty much search UG on the others and you'll get results... that is, if you don't already know what they are.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by littel

No it doesn't...not on a tube amp at any rate. Sounds like the TS is trying to use too much gain here though.

TS - lower the level on the pedal a bit and lower the gain on the amp a bit.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Don't Need To Turn Down Gain, Get A Noise Suppressor.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400