Hey,

so ive been watching alot of guitarist's lately, such as paul gilber, buckethead, satriani (cant spell lol).. and ive noticed when there tapping, say with one hand the note's are pronouced as loud and clear as when they are plucking the string's, ive also noticed that there is no other string noise at all, yet on a video where buckethead is doing one handed hammer on's he lift's his right hand completley away from the string's so he could not be muteing the string's with this hand.

Im just curios, is it all down to perfecting the technique or do they use a little bit of sound reduction and/ or really sensitive pickups so they dont have to be so hard on the guitar and gain more control from being able to hit the string's lighter, if that make's sense?
it's probaly down to a bit of both, there the type of people who sat in their bedrooms for 5+ hours a day playing scales up and down with a metronome, so there technique will be amoung the best in the world. If you wanna shred its a very, very long way to the top :P
what i do sometimes is bend the string above the one you are tapping so u dont accidently hit it but i dont bend it hard and press it on the neck just band it and kinda mute it

just a technique i use sorry if i make no sense
sometimes i just kind of secrely mute the strings with my other hand if im getting to much feedback from them (i use a lot of distortion i love metal pedals) otherwise its just alot of finger lacemetn and control (im only ok at single handed taping at best) but if you two hand tapping it jut a matter of not tapping the string you dont want to hit and as always practice practice practice (doesnt have to be serious either just fool around with random taps till it sound clean then work on serious stuff when you want to).
also ive said this alot but the GH series on expert difficulty will help you legato alot. as well a your hammerons.
and im unsure but maybe a noise commpressor or suppressor, i dont know what they do exactly but look into see if they do what youre looking for
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
yea i understand where you's are coming from, i mean to be honest, ill never be the best shredder in the world, but i would like to be able to play some of bucketheads songs, im actaully learning soothsayer at the moment... but it's just when you see these guys up there on stage and there fingers can move faster than you can keep track of them, it kind of dawns on you lol...

but yea i do plan on practicing, ive actaully started to play about 2 or 3 hours a day, just playing songs, reading on theory, im still not sure the best way to practice whole scales and the best scales to start with, i would love to be able to write my own songs, for example something like soothsayer...

about the noise removal, ive actaully got a noise filter on my amp modeller and it work's pretty well, if i set it all the way up as soon as i release the string the note dies, so im guessing that'd be good for really fast paced shredding riffs, it'd stay clean all the way through

would learning the pentatonic scales be the best choice to start with? :/
it really depends on how fast you pick things up. i dont even practice that long lol. its just usually me chugging away making things up. really just learn any scale modes you can keep track of. i mean when you look at it buckethead i in his 30s hes been playign for a long time, paul gilbert is in his 40s and alot of shredders have been in the game for a long long time os dont feel to discouraged, i mean we all do sometimes (especially paul gilber insane solo on youtube i wanted t quit then and there )
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
hmm well i'd like to think i pick thing's up quickly, but then again i have my days when i can play, and other days when im just blergh haha.. but yea ill keep chugging and hopefully ill get there

i do get discouraged by player's that kind of show off a little, or try to make it look easy... it tends to put me of concentrating on the music, where as with buckethead, there is no expression, all the empotion, feeling comes through the music, if you get me haha.. so yea im actaully inspired to push myself harder and further when i see buckethead shred and then play some really slow mellow licks.
You want to lean your left hand finger so that the tip bumps into the next heavier string and the 'pad' touches the next skinnier string. That will help clean up your sound.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Storm Stenvold
~ http://www.guitarteacher.com
~ See It, Hear It, Play It!
~ Free Video Guitar Lessons, Jam Tracks + More!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
everyone here states very good explanations. as well as what they stated, using a compression rack mount and/or a pedal also helps in bringing the volume of the louder notes down to a less 'extreme' level, which makes the difference between the softer notes (e.g hammer ons) and the more pronounced notes (plucked) less dramatic).