I've recently noticed that my neck is very thick compared to some other Gibson models. (thick as in thickness of the neck, not width of fretboard) My guitar is a lot harder to play than the others I have tried out. I have also tried some epi's and its the same deal.

I love the sound of my guitar but the drawback is it is harder to play some of the easier stuff on it because my hand gets tired and its just not as comfortable to play.

I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had the same prob with a guitar and if so what did you do about it?
it's because the neck is probably a '58 or '59 style (read as: boatneck) neck. Things to do about it? take it to a luthier and ask them to shave it down a bit.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i have small hands and i first got a yamaha then a fender electric acoustic... and at first my fender felt big lol i later learned fenders are slick. my hands still got tired and i even cramped. what i did, during rests while watching tv, i'd just grip as much as I could around the neck, like it's an excersise. grip and grip. or even barre grips. it goes away before you know it. however, if it's too big, get a thiner one. i used to love my first yamaha in the begining... now it's just collecting dust. i do love my fenders though
I like somewhat thin necks (about Schecter/Epiphone to Jackson thickness).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I like the thickness of the SG model of the neck, feels perfect not to big or to skinny, but should I really just buy another guitar cause this neck is to big?
My Epi's neck is thinner than my Strat's. The Epi's neck feels better for leads (having humbuckers helps too) but I like my Strat better for clean rhythm. Whatever floats your boat, man.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I need extremely thin necks to play well, I love Jacksons but I can't play em because their necks are too thick...especially the MG series, the USA's are alright though. I love Ibanez necks though, they're perfect, Wizard II's especially.

I have ONE gripe about my guitar, the string tension, my strings are about...a month old or so, but they've been like that since after a week or 2 that I bought them, they dont break, but they get extremely tough to bend and I have to put a lot of force into it...but that doesnt matter because when I play another guitar I fly over the strings lol.
It's weird. i like thin necks for bass, and thick for guitar. (I can't stand Ibanez guitars, but love their basses)
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
I can play just as well on any guitar. I'm not an amazing guitarist so that's not saying much, but I find that within about 10 minutes, I'm back up to my standard.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I like thicker necks, my hands tend to cramp up if I play a thin neck for a while.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
I love my Carvin DC. Absolute sex to play. Absolute sex.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
I can play on any thickness, but my favorite necks in order

2. Rg1570 (Wizard prestige)
1.Jem (A little rounded wizard)
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by Guitarfreak777
So no info on anything I can do to try and overcome its difficulty to play?
Adapt to it. That's all I can say.