Lots of shred-type guitars have an HSH configuration, which is sometimes called the most versatile configuration because of the ability to coil tap... why hasn't Gibson done this yet? It would appeal to the one demographic that escapes the Les Paul at the moment (other than Buckethead)

I've wanted to mod my Epi LP to have this for awhile, too.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
not sure why bro. sry
Guitars:
2009 Fender 72 Deluxe Telecaster
Yamaha F-130 Acoustic
Amps:
Blackstar HT5
Effects:
MXR Micro Chorus
R3FX Dual Resistafier
aesthetics. single coils wouldn't look right on a paul
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
What's HSH exactly? =P -wants to learn-
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
HSH - pickup configuration, IE the layout of the pickups

A guitar with 2 Humbuckers would be a HH, something like a Les Paul traditionally, and a Strat has 3 single coils so it would be SSS...get it?

Mike
they have the P-90s for lespauls.
there singles right?
My Gear:
Fender Custom Shop Time Machine 1956 relic
plus accessories
Your position and your relationship with music has to be one from the inside. - John Frusciante
and yes, my avatar is weezy, what?
Quote by Raijouta
Lots of shred-type guitars have an HSH configuration, which is sometimes called the most versatile configuration because of the ability to coil tap... why hasn't Gibson done this yet? It would appeal to the one demographic that escapes the Les Paul at the moment (other than Buckethead)

I've wanted to mod my Epi LP to have this for awhile, too.

A Les Paul is not a shred-type guitar, it was originally a jazz guitar actually and Gibson's single coils are P-90's. So just buy an H-H-H LP and try and pop in a P-90 in the middle position
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
^ agreed, les pauls were not designed to be shred guitars. yeah you can, but with the horrid upper fret access and whatnot, theres really a lot better choices instead of a LP. even epiphones prophecy les pauls are horrible for shred (they did absolutely about the neck heel and they expect people to reach all 24 frets? yeah right)
NOPE
Quote by Josh2k69
not sure why bro. sry

I lol'd at this
crazy talking animals
You could put a single coil in a HHH Les Paul if you wanted. You can get mounts for single coils so they fit in a humbucker surround, would keep the aesthetics but gain the versatility.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I don't really consider P-90s to be single coils... although technically they are, they're just so... big. I think P-90s are in a class by themselves, you know?

But still, I'd like to see a Les Paul with HSH - and I hate ESP's LP-styled shapes and the PRS single cut. They're just too sharp... not just right, like the Les Paul.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
well, P-90's are somewhere in between HB's and SC's, so...
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Raijouta
I don't really consider P-90s to be single coils... although technically they are, they're just so... big. I think P-90s are in a class by themselves, you know?

P-90's are single coils because they have a single coil. Size doesn't have anything to do with it. There are skinny humbuckers around too.

On the thread topic, I see no need for a a HSH configuration on a Les Paul. It's already a fine sounding instrument so no reason to alter it. I agree with the aesthetics comment too.
Just wire the pickups and switches so you can coil tap them.

HSH doesnt allow coil tap, it only runs two seperate coils together
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
What the guys said above if you want a HSH get an Epi BB, and put a P90 in the middle.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by Teh GIR
Just wire the pickups and switches so you can coil tap them.

HSH doesnt allow coil tap, it only runs two seperate coils together

What about the Ibanez E-Gen? (http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=EGEN18) That guitar is HSH and has a coil tap... but then again, it also has a 5-way switch. That's another thing I'd like to see on a Les Paul, but it's not gonna happen.

EDIT: What I meant to say in my first post was that it's like having HSH and SSS in one guitar. I know it's not exactly like it, but it's pretty close.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Last edited by Raijouta at Sep 3, 2008,
Why don't you build one then or modify one? Richie Sambora's HHH Kramer had 2 coil tap switches for the bridge and middle positions. Buy an Epi or a used Gibson and install 2 or 3 coil tap switches. Would be pretty cool actually.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
i would buy a decent agile and try modding it that way, it would suck if you buy a gibby and it gets fcuked up...
Quote by DSOTM80
Why don't you build one then or modify one? Richie Sambora's HHH Kramer had 2 coil tap switches for the bridge and middle positions. Buy an Epi or a used Gibson and install 2 or 3 coil tap switches. Would be pretty cool actually.

I'd love to do so with my current Epi ( ) but it's not in the cards at the moment... no router + no money = no upgrades. Perhaps by Christmas I could do so? It'd be about 300 bux total to do a mod like that (including replacing my still stock ( ) humbuckers) I think it would be quite nice to own the only HSH Les Paul in the world. It also helps that I like flat-top guitars more than arch-top.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Same reason there are no SSS les pauls. HH fits the tonal property of the wood and the idea of the guitar.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Raijouta
What about the Ibanez E-Gen? (http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=EGEN18) That guitar is HSH and has a coil tap... but then again, it also has a 5-way switch. That's another thing I'd like to see on a Les Paul, but it's not gonna happen.

EDIT: What I meant to say in my first post was that it's like having HSH and SSS in one guitar. I know it's not exactly like it, but it's pretty close.

Yes but the E-Gen comes with a coil tap. Just because you have HSH and a five way switch doesn't mean you can coil tap.
Because a les paul w/o humbuckers or p90's is blasphemy!

Also you get a les paul for thick tone, and getting single coils would go the opposite direction which is why you'd get a strat if you want single coils imo.
the gibson nighthawk sp3 had 3 pickups, but ive only seen them in old country guitar magazines from the nineties. H S H configuration btw, and and angled bridge humbucker.
Quote by Raijouta
Lots of shred-type guitars have an HSH configuration, which is sometimes called the most versatile configuration because of the ability to coil tap...
You don't have to have an HSH config to have the 'ability' to coil tap humbuckers. You can do it with a lone Hxx guitar if you want (in fact, I have on an LP Junior - and the Avril Lavigne Telecaster has two different types of coil split on it's one and only humbucker).

The reason LP's don't usually have single coils though is in the bridge and neck positions, they don't compliment the rest of the guitar well. Yes, sometimes they have P-90 single coils, but P-90s have a thicker, fuller sound than most single coils, so it's not really the same thing.

Also, because middle pickups are more of a handicap than anything. Less sustain for a rarely used tone? Sod that. HxH actually gives me more tonal options (if you're smart with your wiring) and has more sustain and purer dynamic response than HSH or HHH will ever have.

Quote by Nakon14
^ agreed, les pauls were not designed to be shred guitars. yeah you can, but with the horrid upper fret access and whatnot, theres really a lot better choices instead of a LP. even epiphones prophecy les pauls are horrible for shred (they did absolutely about the neck heel and they expect people to reach all 24 frets? yeah right)
I've tried 'em and I could reach all 24 frets easily. I've never understood why some people say LPs have bad fret access. I've yet to come across a single guitar where I couldn't reach all the frets.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Maybe because most people don't seem to use the middle pickup anyway, and it'll get rid of that classic both-pickups-sound that LP users love.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
It's like Flibble said, the LP's tonewoods and construction lead to a midrange and bass-heavy sound that is not a good basis for most single coils, hence they are rarely used. The typical fender-esque single coil sounds are out of an LP's range, no matter what. However, there are guitars (like the above mentioned PRS) which have a less traditional construction and can handle single coils more easily. If anyone cares, I'm considering buying this at the moment, it works well for both humbucker and sc sounds:
http://www.framus.de/modules/produkte/produkt.php?submenuID=21340&katID=11032&cl=EN

Quote by R_H_C_P
it'll get rid of that classic both-pickups-sound that LP users love.

That's just a matter of wiring. The guitar I linked to has a switching option that lets you use both humbuckers at the same time. You can mod any HSH guitar to do this.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 4, 2008,
Quote by kennyvspenny
aesthetics. single coils wouldn't look right on a paul

probably this.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Also, you have to put P94s in a Les Paul, if you want one. A HH guitar won't be routed to fit a P90, and the P94, luckily, fits a humbucker.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Put in some new Seymour Duncan P-Rails, and wire push-pull knobs to coil tap.

Also, i dont know if you understand what 5 way switching allows, it doesnt allow true coil tapping.

5 Way Switch Positions:

1.Neck
2.1 coil of neck and single coil running together
3. Single coil
4. 1 coil of bridge and single coil running together
5. Bridge

Were as coil tapping allows you to pull one of the knobs, and run only one coil of both humbuckers, so on an HH guitar with coiltap engaged it would be essentially like an SS guitar
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
^ coil tapping is taking a tap off at less than full winds (i.e. both coils still active), not splitting the coils.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i'd imagine Gibson wouldn't want to make their most prestigious and iconic guitar seem less prestigious and iconic by sticking something in there that's so massively associated with Fender guitars

plus a middle single coil between two humbuckers probably wouldn't add much to a Les Paul, given that you can get wonderful tones with the standard setup... it's not like a Strat, where the bridge single pickup is frankly a bit crap for modern rock rhythm sounds which led to people transplanting humbuckers in there... the Les Paul sounds great enough all round as it is...
out of here
Quote by DSOTM80
A Les Paul is not a shred-type guitar, it was originally a jazz guitar actually and Gibson's single coils are P-90's. So just buy an H-H-H LP and try and pop in a P-90 in the middle position

I've already seen that done, but with P-90's in the neck and middle positions.

Didn't get to play it though...
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by Lil Macker
Also, you have to put P94s in a Les Paul, if you want one. A HH guitar won't be routed to fit a P90, and the P94, luckily, fits a humbucker.

But a p94 is identical to a p90 except for the pickup cover and mounting ring. And only Gibson uses the term p94 anyway. Duncan sells them as 'humbucker sized p90 pickups' for example, like most other companies do.
Just thought I'd add some trivia.
Hi all, haven't posted here in a long while . . .
Definitely get a Dremel with the router attatchment, replace the 3 way toggle with a 5 way rotary switch, maybe wire up a master volume and 3 tones or master tone with 3 volumes (2 DPDT pots). The single coil pickup is going to have to work with the wood and scale length. . .
This thread reminded me of my Kiskae guitar:

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
That looks wrong...

I'd get rid of the zebra pickups for a start.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by Phill-Rock
That looks wrong...

I'd get rid of the zebra pickups for a start.

It's my guitar, I'll do what I want with it!

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦