Lulz, get some electronics experience first. You need a resistor too, or a 9v will probably blow the LED's.

I can't think of what you need off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone here knows.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
^ Truth. If there are electronics he can't help with, then they are Borg or something.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
yeah i knew about resistors but ive seen this thing where i plug the battery in and then 2 wires go from there to the resistor to the LED- where would i get one of those? and how would i wire it to turn on and off with a switch?
Thats called a battery clip.

Wire negative lead of battery clip to a 200 Ohm resistor, then that to the negative lead of the LED, then the positive lead of the battery clip.

It should work.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
oh. Just wire an on/off pushbutton in there, anywhere. Or a toggle, if you like.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Battery to on off SPST toggle switch that goes the the resistor of what ever value (depends on how many LEDs your using, how many resistors, and how the LEDs are wired, series/parrallel) then the resitor goes to the LED (make sure you get the postitive leg) then the negative leg goes back to the batter negative terminal.

Simple really

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I would use at least two nine volts in parallel if at all possible for more MaH.

you can use this if you'd like.

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

Each color LED (which is a diode..light emitting) has a different rating/voltage just like every other diode. a single red sometimes uses a 4.7k ohm resistor. SPST or DPDT should work just fine. you gotta read about some electronics first man.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...