My friend said he'd sell me his yamaha pacifica (HSS config, metallic red) the other day for like $40. I kinda want it. Questions:

-How would i get the laquer off the body?
-How would i get the ugly metallic red off?
-can you finish a guitar with polyurethane? I'd like to spend as little as possible and i know my dad has plenty of this.
-how close to a strat would it sound if I put in Texas specials? (i like their sound)
-would the fact that the wood is probably very cheap kill the sound or is it a subtle difference? I don't have an amazing ear for tone or anything.
-Would sanding down the edges to a strat-esque curve alter the tone much? The edges are too squared for my taste....

Thanks in advance for the help.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
it's not a bad guitar for the price. i think the new pickups would sound nice, and i little sanding here and there shouldn't hurt too much. as for the others, no clue
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Yeah, i like the neck. I was thinking about doing all kinds of mods to it. Varitone, on-board boost, killswitch, who knows.
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
It is very worth it. A good maple neck and a good alder body like those would run you a couple hundred bucks separately.
-Sand off the lacquer
-Sand off the paint
-I would be inclined to say no... but I'm not sure.
-It would be quite similar, as both guitars are made out of alder.
-It is not made out of cheap wood. Pacifica's are great bases for modification.
-That little material removal would have no difference difference on tone.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
It is very worth it. A good maple neck and a good alder body like those would run you a couple hundred bucks separately. It is so worth it.

-Sand off the lacquer
-Sand off the paint
-I would be inclined to say no... but I'm not sure.
-It would be quite similar, as both guitars are made out of alder.
-It is not made out of cheap wood. Pacifica's are great bases for modification.
-That little material removal would have no difference difference on tone.

Thanks! For the color, i want to do something between a walnut satin and just straight up natural, so polyurethane came to mind. It would be an open-pore finish. I like the way that looks. Thanks for the info on Pacifica's, I didn't know they werent too cheap. Im defnitely gonna buy this thing.
Yeah. The only reason they cost so little is because they are put together in a factory in Asia, and they use low grade electronics. And, they don't have a $300 Fender or Gibson sticker.

With some pickups and stuff, and when properly set up, they are really good.

It will be a 2-3 piece blank, if it is anything like mine. I would check the control cavity to see the wood, just to be sure it isn't cheap plywood or something.

I don't think it will be, but it is always best to be sure.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
u technically can use polyurethane, but nitrocellulose is better, thats only like $3 a can, so its not that bad...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
^ Truth.

Or even acryllic lacquer which is like $5 a can, and doesn't take so long to cure. I would go with nitro simply because its so pro lol.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
I actually prefer the feel of poly to nitro... but nitro after like six months of wear is even better than poly. I say go with the nitro, but be warned nitrocellulose can react chemically with foam, horribly disfiguring your guitar's finish.

Seriously, google it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I have the exact colour Pacifica, it was my first electric, I've put a emg 81 in it, and it seriously sounds just as good as my esp ec400 (w/81 & 85) which cost $1000 more than my pacifica did, they are good guitars!
Is Nitrocellulose an open-pore finish? i dont know much about these things....
So more questions:
-How long does it take for Nitro to "cure"? (curing is like drying, right?)
-number of coats?
-Upsides/downsides to using nitro?
-what is "poly" and why nitro better after 6 months of wear? (see 2 posts up)
poly is polyurethane....

technically it takes several months to fully cure, but it is dry to touch/play withtin a couple of days.
typically, it can take anywhere from 30-100 coats of nitro
nitro is extremely tough and will not yellow over time.
the reason it feels better after a couple of months is that it is so tough it takes this long to wear to a more "comfortable" finish-this is purely aesthetic.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Oh, wow, im an idiot. I was even talking about polyurethane before.
30-100 coats?!?! why does it need that many?
^it goes on real thin. one coat every 30 minutes, wetsand every three coats with really high grit paper, its time consuming, but the results are worth it
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
yeah. it's 40 bucks. go for it. that's less than a pedal.. yeah a lot of people use polyurethane. you ca pretty much use any paint for a guitar.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
^$40 for what??? not nitro, i got it alot cheaper than that!!!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
oh jeez, what do i need to buy for wet-sanding?
^really high grit sandpaper and water. oh and a cup for the water. basically wet the sandpaper and sand.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Find out if it is a Pacifica 112 or a Pacifica 012.

Will have stamped on it PAC 012 or PAC112

The 112 is made of Alder.

The 012 is made of Agathis, whcih I think is some kind of plastic type stuff
agathis is wood numbnuts
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by rancidryan
agathis is wood numbnuts

Yes your right.

I think I assumed, that because the 012 is not as good as the 112, they used some crap fibrous plastic on it.

Had not heard of Agathis, unlike many other woods used in guitar making.
well agathis does suck, whether its wood or not...however the alder on the 112 is nice
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Ok, i'll find out. All i know is that its not sold anymore i dont think. the only one i can find on MF is a vintage sunburst one. The one my friend has is metallic red.
Oh and is Nitro an open-pore finish? All the guitars that are finished with nitro--like some gibsons and whatever--are all shiny, not open-pore. is that because they're laquered after doing the nitro? What i'm looking for is the color of an Epiphone Dot Studio, the Worn Brown one, but a just littttttle bit lighter.
Last edited by BD 425 at Sep 6, 2008,
I don't think poly is open pore as you put it. Some nice danish oil or tung oil sounds like what you are looking for... Buy some walnut stain and some danish oil
Quote by BD 425
Oh and is Nitro an open-pore finish? All the guitars that are finished with nitro--like some gibsons and whatever--are all shiny, not open-pore. is that because they're laquered after doing the nitro? What i'm looking for is the color of an Epiphone Dot Studio, the Worn Brown one, but a just littttttle bit lighter.

Nitro, is Nitro Cellulose. This is a Lacquer. Lacquer is a clear coat.
Lacquer is usually polished, but it can be Satin.

If by open pore, you mean, not shiny, then you can lacquer it, then sand it till it is Matt, or Satin (slightly shiny).

What kind of finish are you after? If you are more specific, we may be able to clear things up for you.

It sounds like you want a natural wood finish, with whatever stain or burst you intend to do.

You could use an oil finish, you could French polish f you really wanted.
Last edited by Skeet UK at Sep 6, 2008,
To be more specific, i'm gonna go all out, Here it goes.:
-I have no experience finishing guitars
-I don't wanna spend much money
-I want the kind of finish thats on the Epiphone Dot Studio. Like staining the wood but still see the grains and not a shiny surface. Maybe Satin, where it's slightly shiny.
Last edited by BD 425 at Sep 6, 2008,
Help?
I think you're looking at a "worn" finish, correct?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I think you're looking at a "worn" finish, correct?

Yes, the same as whats on an Epi Dot studio, Worn Brown.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Dot-Studio-SemiHollow-Electric-Guitar?sku=518706
Last edited by BD 425 at Sep 7, 2008,