I had a crazy idea while in my lit course today. it sounded like a cool plan.

is it possible to give seperate pickups seperate preamps?

ex. you have 2 pickups on one bass, you set the mids up on the bridge pickup and the treble and bass up on the neck pickup.

would you need seperate batteries? do any companies already do this?

thanks!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by IndianRockStar
It is a bit like the separate jacks you have on a Rick right? I dunno if anyone does it, but it seems feasible if you want to. Just wire each one separately.

I figured as much. thanks.

EDIT:and yes. but more like the separate tone knobs imo.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Last edited by the humanity at Sep 3, 2008,
I don't see why you can't.

It think it would be mainly a space issue, another battery and some more pots might be a tight squeeze, without doing some routing.
Quote by Captain Insano
I don't see why you can't.

It think it would be mainly a space issue, another battery and some more pots might be a tight squeeze, without doing some routing.

yeah, I thought it'd be nice to use stacked knobs, like so
bridge bass/neck bass
bridge mid/neck mid
bridge treble/neck treble
blending
volume
LP style selector switch

as a plus, you'd have to care about tone to use it.

would the stacked knobs work? they should, right?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Your sir....ARE A GENIUS!!!!!

I think the stacked knobs would work. It'd take some very skilled wiring, though.
Quote by goest
Your sir....ARE A GENIUS!!!!!

I think the stacked knobs would work. It'd take some very skilled wiring, though.

I know, I can't believe nobody's thought of it.

it'd cost much though. 2 preamps? not to mention I'm truly horrid with electronics. eh. I know some guys that could help me out.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

HOWEVER!

Why were you thinking up these brilliant ideas instead of paying attention to your lit teacher?! Tsk-tsk...
Quote by goest
HOWEVER!

Why were you thinking up these brilliant ideas instead of paying attention to your lit teacher?! Tsk-tsk...

it was an ice breaker activity. I don't care what you did yesterday. by the drool coming out of your mouth, you don't really care either. and who tells your class to do that in college? wasn't that the point of leaving high school?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

OH! HOW CONVENIENT!

Seriously though, that's rather pointless and stupid. I take back my finger waving.
Quote by goest
OH! HOW CONVENIENT!

Seriously though, that's rather pointless and stupid. I take back my finger waving.

you better...

am I spamming my own thread? I think I am.

well, anyone have any suggestions on how to pull this off, besides wiring virtuosity and routering out new holes?

I'm not gonna do it just yet, but when I do...

my tone will be inspirational.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

You could always do the more exensive thing and create an output jack for both pickups (like Billy Sheehan), with only a volume and maybe tone knob for each "chain", and hook each pickup into separate heads. Expensive, but a fair bit less routing methinks
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You could always do the more exensive thing and create an output jack for both pickups (like Billy Sheehan), with only a volume and maybe tone knob for each "chain", and hook each pickup into separate heads. Expensive, but a fair bit less routing methinks

but then I can't re-eq it on the bass. though that would certainly do it.

:/ and then I can't use one effect for both noises. or sell them from Fender after I buy it out.

though a really good idea. thanks.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

See, you need to combine your idea with mine. That is, get 4 different 8-ohm cabs running from a 2-ohm head.

Once you separate your pickups, run through 4 cabs, and wind your own pickups and create your own effect pedals like Tim Commerford, then you will officially become the most difficult bassist to imitate ON THE PLANET.

And really, what else is there to strive for?

EDIT: How ironic, that I'm replying to this idea instead of reading for my lit courses tomorrow...
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
The problem would be blending them. You can't just wire two separate preamps to the same jack and expect it to work.
If someone's not already said this, You can just use a stereo jack and a stereo cable out of the guitar and split it into two mono signals at the pedal board, then use two (cheap...?) EQ pedals.
from here I would just merge them both back together, you could maybe use one of those minimixers you can buy in guitar shops, if not, smb what's the problem with just wiring the two hots and the two grounds from out the pedals back together?
Quote by jimRH7
smb what's the problem with just wiring the two hots and the two grounds from out the pedals back together?
Science. It depends on the impedance of the preamps and whatever you're running it into. The signal doesn't inherently know which way it's supposed to be going. You'll need to use an active blender - a Y splitter won't do the job.
haha, This is what annoys me about electronics, You can change the value or placement of one component in a circuit and It'll behave completely differently.
Quote by jimRH7
haha, This is what annoys me about electronics, You can change the value or placement of one component in a circuit and It'll behave completely differently.
You may think you find it annoying, but I notice you're using a computer.
Quote by smb
Science. It depends on the impedance of the preamps and whatever you're running it into. The signal doesn't inherently know which way it's supposed to be going. You'll need to use an active blender - a Y splitter won't do the job.

I'm sorry, but can you say this again in idiot speak? I don't quite understand it.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
I'm sorry, but can you say this again in idiot speak? I don't quite understand it.

Signal 1 -> -------------\
                         |---------------------> output
Signal 2 -> -------------/
The output has an impedance (i.e. it resists the incoming signal) as do the preamps that the signals are coming from, so how does the current know where to go? If you turn down one of the two preamps, the impedance drops so it'll suck your tone from the other preamp too.

The end result is that if you wire the outputs of two preamps directly together, it doesn't do either of them any good and it sounds like ass.
so you need a sort of blocker thing (forgive my electronic noobyness) to keep it going the right way?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
so you need a sort of blocker thing (forgive my electronic noobyness) to keep it going the right way?
Basically, you need something active and with the right impedance. Passive devices (or just wiring it together) are no use for mixing two signals.
um... I think I get it. lol. I need to learn more about useful stuff. thanks. anything else you might add?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Unless both pickups are exactly the same, their DC Resistance will differ. Therefore, you'll need to run two different preamps with different gains to get the same output from both of them, or use resistors in some fashion to get them to the right output.

Way too much trouble to be honest.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
A mini mixer would do the job though, wouldn't it? i was thinking, could you use a boss pedal or something that has a stereo in, and a mono out, And just leave it allways switched off ?
Quote by Nutter_101
Unless both pickups are exactly the same, their DC Resistance will differ. Therefore, you'll need to run two different preamps with different gains to get the same output from both of them, or use resistors in some fashion to get them to the right output.

Way too much trouble to be honest.

exactly the same? that was the original intent, to be honest. there will be a blending knob though, that should be able to help with any volume differences, right?

and I'd like it in the guitar, to be honest. no outside pedals. if I can.

though, If I gave it 2 outputs and did a sort of reverse x+y+z, that could work, right?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I have a new game to test my bass knowledge now.

Its called "See how long you can read a Nutter_101/smb post without getting lost in all their lingo and mumbo-jumbo".

Honestly, youguys make me regret my lack of electronics/bass/theory knowledge everyday
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Quote by bassmanjoe08
I have a new game to test my bass knowledge now.

Its called "See how long you can read a Nutter_101/smb post without getting lost in all their lingo and mumbo-jumbo".

Honestly, youguys make me regret my lack of electronics/bass/theory knowledge everyday

as long as they aren't talking electronics, I'm usually not lost. this one is certainly a doozy. but I'm working through, certainly learning. but...

*takes a drink*
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Another point to make about this.

Lets say that you're going to do an Urge II idea, with dual jazz's and a P-pickup in the centre. That's going to be (if you're going to run the preamps at 18V, which I HIGHLY suggest you do) 9volt batteries connected up.

As it is, even doing 9V preamp is going to have to route out a lot of wood. You'd probably get a bit too close to the pickup routes actually.

Oooh, just read your first post again. You actually want to have the EQ bands set to work on different pickups?

That's a whole different ballpark. You're going to want a 2Band Eq on one of them, and a single cut/booster on the other pickup, which you'll then put into a blend to get a single, mono output.

Have fun with that. Although the 2band will be easy to get, you'll have to make the cut/booster yourself. If you're honestly serious about it, I can do you a mid boost/cut to make up.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

hmm. what if I did separate volumes? would that help?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
hmm. what if I did separate volumes? would that help?

How do you mean seperate volumes?

I'm not sure how much harder it would be to put seperate volumes in.

You might wanna try asking over at GB&C about this. I'm still a little shaky on everything, and I've only really made my own pickups, not preamps (yet)
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

I like this idea but my very very basic electronics skills are wondering how in hell this would work without being complicated but oh well I guess thats something I either need to learn or see.

But yeah I'm liking your idea Humanity would allow some pretty good sounds from pickups.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by Nutter_101
How do you mean seperate volumes?

I'm not sure how much harder it would be to put seperate volumes in.

You might wanna try asking over at GB&C about this. I'm still a little shaky on everything, and I've only really made my own pickups, not preamps (yet)

oh. well, I'm trying to get a basic idea. could I put two single pickup preamps in and just connect them for the output?
maybe like this...
pickup 1---->preamp------\
___________________output
pickup 2----->preamp-----/

maybe?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
oh. well, I'm trying to get a basic idea. could I put two single pickup preamps in and just connect them for the output?
maybe like this...
pickup 1---->preamp------\
___________________output
pickup 2----->preamp-----/

maybe?

In theory you could...

There are some really smart people in GB&C who'd be able to help you out a lot more than we can - amp builders and so on.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
In theory you could...

There are some really smart people in GB&C who'd be able to help you out a lot more than we can - amp builders and so on.

true. I'll do that I guess.

EDIT:GB&C version
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Last edited by the humanity at Sep 5, 2008,
Good luck in GB&C.
All I ever see in there is a bunch of elitist pricks who dont offer much help at all.

"If you have to ask, this project is way to complicated for you." and things like that are a common one in there.

Theres a few helpful users, but the majority I find are assholes.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Good luck in GB&C.
All I ever see in there is a bunch of elitist pricks who dont offer much help at all.

"If you have to ask, this project is way to complicated for you." and things like that are a common one in there.

Theres a few helpful users, but the majority I find are assholes.

so far, either they have no clue or are too patriotic to help a man with an Osama avatar.

shoulda stuck with the censored thing...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard