so, i've been playing for about three years now
i play in a ska/ rock band right now, and i mostly play other rock/alternative stuff
but i've been wanting to start playing classical guitar (mostly for a college audition)
could anybody point me in the right direction in regards to what songs or techniques i should begin learning?
thanks in advance
yeah, i've got gear too...
squier strat
squier tele
Ibanez rg4ex
Boss DS-1
Morely Bad Horsie Wah
Digitech Hot Head
Boss GE-7
Zoom G1X
Mesa Boogie 5:50 Express
Vox AD50vt
every single technique ever.
speed picking, legato, string skipping, sweep picking, hybrid picking, the world
yeah, thats more of what im looking for
so, any song reccomendations?
or artists to start listening to?
yeah, i've got gear too...
squier strat
squier tele
Ibanez rg4ex
Boss DS-1
Morely Bad Horsie Wah
Digitech Hot Head
Boss GE-7
Zoom G1X
Mesa Boogie 5:50 Express
Vox AD50vt
Paganini, Beethoven, JS and JC Bach, Haydn, Mozart are the big ones.
Theres a Paganini Romance in my profile if you wanna check it out, if you're into that kind of stuff. For sad, romantic stuff, definetly Beethoven. If you're into dissonant late-baroque stuff, Bach. Mozart for happy-ish general classical. Paganini for "shred", and I use that term carefully, he had some beautiful slow pieces too.
Quote by one vision
Paganini for "shred"

then that kinda involves a lot of the techniques i said doesn't it :P

i gotta find some pieces to play myself.
i r in the need for something for teh chix
Quote by RCalisto
then that kinda involves a lot of the techniques i said doesn't it :P

i gotta find some pieces to play myself.
i r in the need for something for teh chix

Get an acoustic and play 3 chords repeatedly. Instant Chicks.
Quote by one vision

Yup, sing and play G, D, and Em, and you've scored and you don't even know it.

But on topic, I like to play Beethoven. I recently learned 'Moonlight Sonata', and it's absolutely beautiful. Bit complicated in the later bars, but the opening movement is good for practice. Just browse around, there were some solid suggestions above. Listen to them, maybe buy some CD's from the greats and have a good listen.

Classical music has recently become my favorite, it's so emotional and moving, and completely void of lyrics. That last bit is the best part in my opinion, it allows you to 'feel' the music and appreciate it that much more. Good luck in your venture.
"It it best to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open your mouth and prove it."
Quote by one vision
lulz

Girls dont like musicians. They like either the "popular" guys (teens, thank god girls grow out of this) or guys they find attractive (girls are generally more shallow than men). Playing guitar is just a bonus.

Anyway, on topic.

Aim to play some of bachs lute suites. They're fun and interesting.
Most of Paganini's songs are mostly single voiced, as they were written as violins.
Mozart and Beethovens songs were either written for an orchestra or for piano, so you would need to arrange your own classical version. John Williams arranged a nice version of turkish march I like playing.
Lately, as in the last 50 years, guys have started writing classical guitar songs again. I'm pretty sure Across the stars was written for guitar which is a really nice sounding song. If your just looking for something easy to play that uses sort of the same classical style playing, you could play classical gas. You might find this song a bit easy though.
You could also arrange a punk song in a classical style for fun. This wouldnt be very fun to play, but it would sound cool. Play the singing melody as your highest voice and the root note of the powerchords as your lowest voice.
Quote by demonofthenight
Girls dont like musicians. They like either the "popular" guys (teens, thank god girls grow out of this) or guys they find attractive (girls are generally more shallow than men). Playing guitar is just a bonus.

well it's funny that i'm already popular in the school i'm going to this year, and i've never stepped foot there lol
me missionaries ar doin a job well done indeed

and it's soo true that they don't like musicians. they get all horny when they see someone play. even more when you later say it's yours, or you improvised it.
they don't like musicans, they do the **** with musicians
Aim to play some of bachs lute suites. They're fun and interesting.

Aim to play them in four or five years. You do realize that most of the different movements of the suites are extremely difficult to play? Yes, there are easy ones, but the vast majority = conservatory level. This guy is starting out, come on, don't just pull pieces out of a hat because they're classical.

TS, I recommend you start with etudes. They're not as flashy and aren't as beautiful as the lute suites but they will build your technique. I think you should check out the series of studies published by these composers: Sor, Giuliani(my two favourites), Carcassi, Carulli and Coste. I'd start off with the Carulli and then move onto the others, I find his music is the most basic and most accessible.