For the longest time ive been running a number of different tube amps in my bedroom, trying to achieve a good tone at bedroom volumes, well ive finally given up, so im after a decent sounding practice amp. Ive stumbled across the Vox AD30VT XL, so I was wondering what people thought of it? Is it a decent amp? How do the different amp models sound? And how much gain does it have? I play stuff like Metallica, Megadeth, and Slayer, right up to In Flames, Pantera, and Machine head, so I need quite a lot of gain, does this amp have enough for this kind of stuff? Any feedback is appreciated.
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
I've heard people prefer cubes for metal tones out of a practice amp. I'd say try both and see which you prefer.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I tried that amp with a seven string. it sounded really freaking awesome. but i still prefer my cube.
I have one, If you're going to be playing metal just put an EQ pedal in front of it. I haven't played around with too many of the amp models though, I mostly use the Modern,Glass, and Molten. And they all sound great.
Keeping it real since '92
If youre looking for extreme high gain try something else. while it does have some pretty nice tones its not melt your face off high gain, along the lines of a black sabbath type sound at best Though if youre looking for a respectable amp which give you everything you need to get that perfect tone short of busting out a pedalboard and doing it the old fashioned way, its youre best bet. id try it out at a local music store and see what you think about it, though id suggest getting someone there who knows how to use it to show you around, the thing can be hella confusing the first time
Quote by forgiveforget
If youre looking for extreme high gain try something else. while it does have some pretty nice tones its not melt your face off high gain, along the lines of a black sabbath type sound at best

Are you sure? Because the XL version was basically designed for metal from what ive read, it has 1/2 clean models then the rest are high gain. Is it the standard AD30VT your thinking of? See here, this is the XL version im talking about:

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/valvetronixxl/ad30vt-xl.asp#
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
I used to have on and thought it was the best amp around.......until I tried a real tube amp.

The XL has plenty of high-gain models but is dose sound a little muddy when you crank the gain right up.

Apparently putting an EQ pedal in the effects loop solves the muddiness, you only get the loop on 100 watt model (unless you wanna mod the circuit board yourself)...
The XL I played was awfully muddy. I had the treble dimed and it sounded like other amps at 2. I could see where an EQ pedal would help, but for the price of that amp and an EQ to fix it you could just buy a better amp instead.