I'm having a few problems with a guitar I recently bought. It is a flying V made by skye and it was only $75. I know I get what I pay for, but if I put in a new official floyd would it work?
You need locking tuners too
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Quote by black-sabbath
You need locking tuners too

either that or a locking nut.
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
yes, an official floyd would definitely improve your tuning stability.
the cheapest place to get them is warmoth. ($170)

you might have to do some routing though, so you might just want to get a slippery nut and locking tuners.

that or a locking nut
Would that affect how loud squeals are or is that the pickups that do that? Cause I have an ESP LTD with a floyd and it doesnt do the dimebag squeal that loud but my friend's Dean ML does it really loud and good.
Why spend extra money on a guitar like that?

There's ways to keep it in tune.
Signatures are overrated.
You don't know?
Re-string the guitar with the string locked into the tuner, get some nut sauce for the nut. Get the nut filed, get the guitar setup..

You should search on how to keep a guitar in tune.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by HighPotency
Locking tuners =/= locking nut.

Locking tuners+locking nut+good quality OFR= in tune

Why would you need locking tuners if you already have a locking nut? There's no need, you can loosen up your tuners after you lock the strings at the nut. In fact some do that to relieve pressure on the headstock.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
Why would you need locking tuners if you already have a locking nut? There's no need, you can loosen up your tuners after you lock the strings at the nut. In fact some do that to relieve pressure on the headstock.

Yeah but if they go outta tune behind the nut and you go to tune the guitar, it could throw things outta whack. Plus, if you blocked the trem to drop tunings, they'd be good to have on already.
You're better off getting a better guitar instead
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
Quote by HighPotency
Yeah but if they go outta tune behind the nut and you go to tune the guitar, it could throw things outta whack. Plus, if you blocked the trem to drop tunings, they'd be good to have on already.

You tune the guitar with your fine tuners once the nut is locked, not with the tuners on the headstock. I've had my nut locked for over 1 month. Have you ever owned a Floyd equipped guitar?
Some Vintage floyds have some tuning problems that the newer floyds are made. If you have locking nut then you might look at some tremelo stabilizers, to keep it from going out of tune. Remember with a floyd rose, strings can still stretch, and the clamps on the nut might not be completely tightened.
Quote by DSOTM80
You tune the guitar with your fine tuners once the nut is locked, not with the tuners on the headstock. I've had my nut locked for over 1 month. Have you ever owned a Floyd equipped guitar?

Indeed that is true - locking tuners are a nice plus to a locking nut-equipped, Floyd Rose guitar (ensuring absolute tuning stability) but they do not replace the nut. See Gibson's Shred-X guitars - they're equipped with a Kahler tremolo and Schaller locking tuners - but no locking nut!

If you look at videos on YouTube you'll see people demonstrating this by doing a few dive-bombs, bends (although Kahlers normally go out of tune with bends anyway) and pull-ups and within seconds the strings are not the same pitch.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Ok uhm... Floyd + locking nut = tuning stability.... you don't need locking tuners.

You tune the guitar, lock the nut, at which point it goes slightly out of tune. Then you fine tune using the fine tuners.

The guitar then stays in tune. Theoretically forever. Of course in practice there may be some minor slippage over time... but it would be unnoticeable.

And, TS, there is really no point in putting $200 worth of bridge into that guitar. Just buy a new floyd equipped guitar.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Last edited by Øttər at Sep 3, 2008,
^^ You mean you DON'T need locking tuners
LOL YUPP! I'll fix it. Wow man I'm a tard. Thanks for catching it
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Yeah that Gibson with the locking tuners but no locking nut didn't work out so well i hear lol. And i don't see many guitars with a floyd that have locking tuners if they have the locking nut.