My friend just took back his sm57, and i need a new guitar mic for my home studio. I definitely want to step it up a little from the sm57 and i was wondering which mic would be better for close micing distorted guitar amps; the sure beta 57 or the Sennheiser e906.

Any opinions are appreciated..thanks!
SM57 is fine.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
I prefer using the Sennheiser
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
I use both. For a real cool sound record in stereo and mix the two. To my ears, the sennheiser has a smoother character too it. The 57 is a bit more brail and harsh. Which can be good or bad. They are both about the same, only the true tweak heads will notice a difference.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
i already have a "vocal" condenser mic. A cheaper one..i think its one of the entry level mxl or some marshall company. I actually use that as a room mic for guitars..im not sure another condenser is what i need.
Quote by redrumsixsix6
i already have a "vocal" condenser mic. A cheaper one..i think its one of the entry level mxl or some marshall company. I actually use that as a room mic for guitars..im not sure another condenser is what i need.

If such is the case, then I recommend
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sennheiser-e609-Silver-Dynamic-Guitar-Microphone-102140100-i1127068.gc

or the Beta 57.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
The Beta is not "better" - it simply has a different sonic character.

In general, the Beta series are brighter in the top-end than their non-Beta counterparts.

Sometimes, a brighter top-end is what you need, other times it isn't...depends on what type of tone/sound you are going for in the production.

It certainly doesn't replace an SM57.....
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 4, 2008,