That is around my budget. I play metal mostly. Maybe using it for some clean/classic rock, just some though, mostly its metal

Anyways, any idea for the best combination? Head/cab, price of both combined under $1000 will be perfect but combo recommendations will also be appreciated.

Amp will mostly be used for home practice and band practice (no gigs yet)

Thanks for help guys!
B-52 At-112
ENHL Thunder Drive (a bit over $1000 though)
ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by DespisedIcon at Sep 3, 2008,
Even if you were doing small gigs, you wouldn't need a stack. Get a combo. Cheaper so you could get a better quality one too.
A Line 6 Flextone if you're down with modeling. Or maybe a used Vetta combo if you can find it for 1k. They are both amazing modeling amps and can do high gain easily.

You don't need teh t00bz if you're gonna be using it for band practice and home use.
sounds like great options guys thanks, keep em coming! ill try them out.

Also, another thing that would be worth mentioning is that I have a line 6 pod xt live that Im htinking of connecting to the amp, so any suggestions there?
Bugera.. F-ing bugera... Perfect for what you are doing

333xl.

Also look for used Mesa .50 caliber or DC-2/5
Sell the Line 6 pod xt and get the few individual fx you are actually going to use instead of one big mediocre sounding box.
I found that the 333xl and 333 combos were great amps, but didn't perform that well at low volumes. I have a 6260 that is excellent at both low and high volumes (run through a Bugera cab).

In my opinion, you should look in to either a 6260 or a 6262. The 6260 has both a high gain input and a low gain input, but comes with a shared EQ (it is also a bit cheaper than the 6262) while the 6262 has only one input, but EQ for both channels.

Either way, you head and cab should be under $1000, and I'm sure your line 6 would sound great through the amp.
Used:

Mesa Rect-O-Verb Combo
Mesa Trem-O-Verb Combo
Mesa DC-3/5/10 Combo
Mesa F-30/50/100 Combo
Mesa Mark III Combo
Mesa Mark IV Combo

Peavey 5150/6505/5150 II/6505+ head (yes, head )
Peavey JSX
Peavey XXX

Engl Thunder
Engl Screamer

Krank Revolution Combo

Randall RM100 Combo

Bogner Alchemist (maybe?)
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Sep 4, 2008,
the bugera 333xl combo is $100 more than the head, so would a $250 peavey + the bugera head be a better investment? since it wil only be around $150 more than the combo.
It seems I can get a Crate GLX212 for $300 locally, less than half the bugera price. Is the price worth the difference?
Quote by OhSoInsane
It seems I can get a Crate GLX212 for $300 locally, less than half the bugera price. Is the price worth the difference?

If it was we would have mentioned it...

Also that is an SS amp and you dont even want to get us started down that road lol
No offense, but did you even read my list?

Any of those amps are going to sound much better than a Bugera (except maybe the Peaveys, but that's all preference there), are much higher quality and come with better stock speakers.

Peavey speakers are pretty crappy sounding, I wouldn't imagine Bugera cabs would be any better.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
yea I read your post MatrixClaw but when I looked them up, they were more expensive even used, well except for one. I found the Mesa F-50 used for $700. Is it a good deal?
Quote by MatrixClaw
No offense, but did you even read my list?

Any of those amps are going to sound much better than a Bugera (except maybe the Peaveys, but that's all preference there), are much higher quality and come with better stock speakers.

Peavey speakers are pretty crappy sounding, I wouldn't imagine Bugera cabs would be any better.

I have no doubt that you have never played a Bugera amp.

I'm guessing you are one of the people that believes that Mesa is the end-all-be-all of amps . Don't get me wrong, they are the best amps in the world, but there ARE other great sounding, more affordable amps, such as those from the Bugera line.
Quote by mccabe24
I have no doubt that you have never played a Bugera amp.

I'm guessing you are one of the people that believes that Mesa is the end-all-be-all of amps . Don't get me wrong, they are the best amps in the world, but there ARE other great sounding, more affordable amps, such as those from the Bugera line.

I have no doubt that you have no idea what you're talking about.

I have played both the 6262 and 333xl, my friend owns an XL and I have used it more than a few times. I do not by any means believe Mesa is the "end-all-be-all" amp, as I had a Mark IV before and sold it because I didn't like certain, major, aspects of it. I've also owned an F-30 and sold it because I wanted something different, and I've never been a fan of any Single/Dual/Triple Rectifier I've ever played, except the older 2 Channels. No where in my post did I say Bugeras weren't good sounding, I only stated that for the price they cost new, you could get a better amp used.

Quote by OhSoInsane
yea I read your post MatrixClaw but when I looked them up, they were more expensive even used, well except for one. I found the Mesa F-50 used for $700. Is it a good deal?

Where are you looking? Try the classifieds over at Harmony-Central, The Gear Page, your local Craigslist and then of course there's always eBay.

$700 for an F-50 is an average price, so not bad.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
the mesa single rectifier combo. recto-verb or something?
peavey 5150 2x12 combo.

you dont need a halfstack to gig or practice with. a combo is basically a head and a cab. if you want a cab, get a combo and a 2x12 cab. 2x12 w/ 2x12 cab sounds different than a 4x12 cab.. less low end or something. thats what people say btw.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by mccabe24

I was talking about speakers, not the amps themselves

Each amp sounds good with their respected matching cab, but can sound MUCH better with something loaded with better speakers. Especially since for the price, you could get something better sounding.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Bugera amps have excellent prices. I have yet to see an amp as good for as little money. I agree a used Mesa would be better... if you can find one. There are only two stores that carry Mesa amps in my city and there is almost never a used amp among the bunch. Don't forgett that some people are not comfortable buying online (particuarily with used gear).
Quote by mccabe24
Bugera amps have excellent prices. I have yet to see an amp as good for as little money. I agree a used Mesa would be better... if you can find one. There are only two stores that carry Mesa amps in my city and there is almost never a used amp among the bunch. Don't forgett that some people are not comfortable buying online (particuarily with used gear).

True enough, you make a good point

I wasn't comfortable at all with using online sites when I first started buying/selling used gear, but now that I've done it more, I know that there's a lot of great guys out there to deal with and how to avoid scams. Just make sure the guy has references and check into them if you feel insecure about it or feel something is array.

I still prefer Craigslist though as it eliminates the item being damaged during shipping and you can verify that it's exactly what you want and works properly before you buy it. I would HIGHLY suggest against meeting up somewhere other than your's or the other's house/practice space as 99% of the time, you're not going to be able to try out the amp. For guitars, it's a little less important as if the electronics are messed up, it's an easier fix than an amp, but then you'd probably still want to hear it through your amp regardless.

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by mccabe24
Probably a noob question (I have never bought online), but what is craigslist?

You've never heard of Craigslist!?

It's actually not buying online. It has a classified section for every major city in the US (and I believe Canada?), and people post all kinds of stuff for sale on it. It's great, I've gotten tons of good deals on there.

www.craigslist.org
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
yeah thats where I found the F-50. I found it on a local classified called kijiji.ca. Its similar to craigslist. I checked Craigslist as well but it didn't have any good Mesa's for calgary, canada =\. I might tell the guy to knock the price for F-50 down to 600-650 lol, if he drops it, me buys it.