I am wanting to get some kind of new tone, and sound here. I am wanting your opinions on what is better.

Guitar Rig 3 (not sure which edition)
Or a budget tube amp.

I will be playing Shred, Classic Rock, Metal, Blues, and maybe some other stuff.

I know Guitar Rig would handle the versatility aspect, but I don't know how the dynamics are, ore the overall tone. It looks like a really great piece of software.

I have my own laptop, with all the requirements + alot more. I would be running through that most of the time I guess. Eventually I will probably get some PA speakers if I do this.

How could I run this through my computer?

Do I need some sort of port, even if I get the "Kontrol" edition?

Also, is it possible to run this into an actual amplifier? It's a mini stack, so it's running a 15 watt head into 2 10 inch speaker cabs. Could I plug the guitar rig into this amp?

I would use that temporarily for jamming with other people.

Any help would be appreciated.
I've heard the tones are similar, but the dynamics just aren't there. You'd probably need a really nice sound card or some sort of port. I'm not sure on specific models. You could use a PA or something will take a line level in, but I don't think a regular amp will work.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
I've heard the tones are similar, but the dynamics just aren't there. You'd probably need a really nice sound card or some sort of port. I'm not sure on specific models. You could use a PA or something will take a line level in, but I don't think a regular amp will work.

What's a line level in?

You mean like a emulated line out? My amp has one of those actually. I run my Ipod through it to jam along with.

I don't know exactly, but I think I saw somewhere that the Kontrol Edition's foot pedal had a direct in, with a built in sound card.

I'm really confused. I need someone who owns this!!
Nah, it's for the whole recording process.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by loonyguitarist
Nah, it's for the whole recording process.

Guitar Rig is not necessarily a recording software though... It's amp and effect modeling.

I'm pretty sure I'm in the right place.
You'll be better off getting a processor like the line 6 POD. They are also less expensive...
Imo, guitar rig is interesting, especially for weird stuff, but it just doesn't sound right. Tube amp ftw
You won't get very good results just running from the headphone out of your PC into the amp - lots of noise (buzz) and it'll be tricky to get it to EQ naturally as well. But it looks like the Kontrol box will solve that. PA speakers (you really mean 'monitors') aren't really ideal for live guitar - best solution is some kind of guitar poweramp. If you're thinking of doing a lot of recording though some decent monitors are a must.

As for GR3 vs tube: a budget tube amp most likely won't do metal/shred without some assistance. For classic rock and blues tones though - I haven't yet found a modelling system that will do that Marshall poweramp crunch and Fender overdriven bite convincingly.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
peavy revalver 3 best software modeling out there
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby