I've been playing for quite a while now and have pretty good control on my fretboard. Only problem being that i was totally self-taught and up until now i really only focused on techniques and doing song covers. I never really sat down and learned my scales to understand how they work. I understand the WWHWWWH thing but i just dont understand how that pertains to a scale. I also don't understand what a root note is and how the scale is properly used. If anyone has a link to a thorough explaination of scales (for a SUPER beginner) that explains everything step by step it would be a massive help. For example, i memorized Gmaj scale:

2-3-5
3-5
2-4-5
2-4-5
2-3-5
3-5

I understand how 3-5 is a whole step and 2-3 is a half step, but as far as the root note, and how to shape a scale with the WWHWWWH thing....i have NO CLUE.

Before i post this, i just want to point out that i KNOW it's pathetic i've been playing for 5+ years and still haven't gotten this stuff memorized, so no need to point that out, thanks.
a root note is the begining of any scale, also naming the key. basically, the WWhWWWh thing means pick a note on the fretboard (C for this example). up two frets, or a whole step, is the next note in the scale. the wwhwwwh is the formula for a Major scale, so this is how you build a C Major Scale.

www.musictheory.net
www.cyberfret.com

either of those are great.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
http://www.insaneguitar.com/mc/theory.htm

^ epic win

I've been studying and re-reading this for a while now, i still never actually got through the whole thing, I actually learned how to form chords!
Forever feels retarded in MT forum

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
Squier Bullet Stratocaster
-Shopping list-
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
1 guitar cable for that pedal
Quote by TK1
a root note is the begining of any scale, also naming the key. basically, the WWhWWWh thing means pick a note on the fretboard (C for this example). up two frets, or a whole step, is the next note in the scale. the wwhwwwh is the formula for a Major scale, so this is how you build a C Major Scale.

www.musictheory.net
www.cyberfret.com

either of those are great.

a root note DOESNT always begin a scale.
Quote by SunDrop
a root note DOESNT always begin a scale.

ok, well no, and thats especially true of minor scales, but it is usually referred to as a base. say, an Am scale, the root is A. but thats also the sixth of a C major scale, being the relative minor. so while the A is the root of one thing, its the sixth of another.

let me revise my statement to the root starts a KEY not a scale.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by Selendile030
I understand how 3-5 is a whole step and 2-3 is a half step, but as far as the root note, and how to shape a scale with the WWHWWWH thing....i have NO CLUE.

Before i post this, i just want to point out that i KNOW it's pathetic i've been playing for 5+ years and still haven't gotten this stuff memorized, so no need to point that out, thanks.

That means the first thing you need to do before anything else is learn the notes on the fretboard.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Ok so i did some research and studying but i got a question...

Cmajor scale would look like:

C - D - E - F - G - A - B - C
W W h W W W h

How would i figure out a scale from this? If the beginning of the scale isn't always the scale's Root note then how would i use this key to make a Cmajor scale? How would it look in tab form?
That's just it, that IS the scale. If you want to use it then you need to find those notes on the fretboard - either by finding individual notes, by locating instances of the root then following on from the pattern of intervals or a bit of both. Either way you're going to have to learn the notes on the fretboard itself before you're able to do that.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Well ok here is my question though. I understand the notes on the fretboard, but for example: If i want to follow a C scale, and have my root note on on the 3rd fret on A string (which is a C note), would i just follow the C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C scale from there down? How would i know what notes are played on the Low E string? follow it from the root note backwards?
Quote by Selendile030
Well ok here is my question though. I understand the notes on the fretboard, but for example: If i want to follow a C scale, and have my root note on on the 3rd fret on A string (which is a C note), would i just follow the C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C scale from there down? How would i know what notes are played on the Low E string? follow it from the root note backwards?

The string you're on doesn't matter, you're just looking for every instance of the notes C D E F G A and B...there'll be many instances of notes being repeated. If you understand the notes on the fretboard then you'll have no trouble finding them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
The string you're on doesn't matter, you're just looking for every instance of the notes C D E F G A and B...there'll be many instances of notes being repeated. If you understand the notes on the fretboard then you'll have no trouble finding them.

Awesome thanks, one question though. If its not too much trouble can you give me an example as to what you mean, or direct me to somewhere that discusses this?
OK just as an example to see if i got it right.....i tried to do an F scale without any external aid, and this is what i got:

E-4-6-7-------------------------------------
B-3-5-6-------------------------------------
G-2-3-5-------------------------------------
D-2-3-5-------------------------------------
A-1-3-5--------------------------------------
e-1-3-5--------------------------------------

Is that remotely on target? i think i started off fine and towards the end i started getting it wrong? if its totally wrong, what is wrong? and if its right...welll...awesome.