I recently painted my guitar so I had to cut the wires and rewire and what not. When I play it, if i am not playing there is an audible hum, but it goes away as soon as I touch the strings, is that due to a bad ground? I know its the guitar because my LP doesnt do that.

It is a yamaha eg-112. Its pretty crap and I think there might have been a hum even before I took it apart.
It might be your pickups, mine does the same thing on some of the pickups.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
The hum that comes with single coils?
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

Its something to do with the pickups, Active pickups dont do that passive generally do. Unless of course they are very good passive pups
When the hum goes away when you touch the strings that means that the guitar is grounding you properly so all circuitry is OK. The hum itself is a characteristic of the pickup and poor shielding.
The pickups're picking up electromagnetic "noise" in the air. Humbuckers help with this, as does good shielding (noise hits the circuitry inside if it's not shielded), but it's impossible to completely obliterate it without a noise gate or similar.

Going near computers generally gives a lot of hum; they work using electromagnetics.
Quote by KingStill
When the hum goes away when you touch the strings that means that the guitar is grounding you properly so all circuitry is OK. The hum itself is a characteristic of the pickup and poor shielding.

Im pretty sure its the other way round mate.

I doubt its the pups cause when you touched the string the buzz would remain. I believe its because the guitars not earthed properly. If its a strat, take off the plate at the back and make sure the wire thats touching the metal bit is secure.

The buzzing goes away because the guitar isnt grounding properly through the amp. So when you touch the guitar it goes through you and into the ground.

It can just be the one pickup so test it out with the selector switch and watch out what you believe theres some right nubs in this place.

Quote by MopMaster
The pickups're picking up electromagnetic "noise" in the air. Humbuckers help with this, as does good shielding (noise hits the circuitry inside if it's not shielded), but it's impossible to completely obliterate it without a noise gate or similar.

Going near computers generally gives a lot of hum; they work using electromagnetics.

At practice levels you wont hear the 60hz noise at all, not unless your right up against your pc screen with some high gain on. So im going to go ahead and call BS on your post too.
No, that's perfectly normal.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Preid

You would be right if you play the guitar with your limbs wrapped around metal pipes. It's the guitar that's grounded via amp -> electrical socket.
Quote by KingStill

so that means that a person is constantly generating an electrical charge that is grounded through the guitar? i don't think so.

i think you have it backwards mate.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by KingStill
You would be right if you play the guitar with your limbs wrapped around metal pipes. It's the guitar that's grounded via amp -> electrical socket.

What the **** are you on about now?

Dr John knows.

Yes, the guitar is grounded via the amp>socket but its also grounded through you when you touch the strings.

You dont have to have you penor in a metal pipe to ground a instrument noob. How do you think you get electrocuted if you piss on a electric fence, even though the electric fence is grounded?

Think about it hard mate, think about it hard.
Quote by dr_john
so that means that a person is constantly generating an electrical charge that is grounded through the guitar? i don't think so.

i think you have it backwards mate.

How are you grounding anything through your rubber soles?
Quote by KingStill

Think about the electric fence for a while longer.
Quote by KingStill

maybe i'm not wearing shoes.

look, the guitar has an electrical charge due to the pickups. if it is all properly grounded, that will discharge through the mains socket to earth. if it is not properly grounded, it will find another route to earth ie through the guy touching the strings or any other part of the guitar's live hardware.
- Jimi Hendrix
My Explorer and a cheap Dean does the same. They hum unless you keep touch with the strings. My Ibanez with the EMG clones is a great deal quieter. I think good pickups help.
Last edited by BIGD2 at Sep 5, 2008,
Quote by Preid

No. He's actually correct.
There's an article about this somewhere on the net. Try search.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by hminh87
No. He's actually correct.
There's an article about this somewhere on the net. Try search.

Lol I did and I cant find anything.

Think about it, if a guitars buzzing (in this instance) its due to IT not being earthed properly. The buzzing your hearing is probably 60hz noise thats emitted from everything AC in the house as this is the frequency it all runs at.

We are earthed, its why we get electrocuted if we touch something live. If we were totally insulated, we would have a problem with the build up of static electricy. We also wouldnt have to worry about being electrocuted, ever. If we hanged from a power line, as long as we didnt touch anything earthed and the voltage wasnt large enough to cause the electrictly to jump, we'd be ok. Its why birds can sit on electricty lines.

Its all about earth-age.

Now when our earthed bodies touch the guitar strings, we're earthing the guitar.

Some people report being electrocuted by their guitar, thats usually due to the amp earthing going wrong and it then goes through the next best thing, you.
^ well put Preid!
- Jimi Hendrix