im lookin into a 5150 and 6505. i play rock, hard rock and getting into some metal. i know both are amazing, but im curious as to which you would opt for. any input would be great because this will greatly infleunce my decision. please list any pros/cons that you could think of that would be helpful to know. thanks in advance!
there the same so id go for whichever you can find cheaper, 5150's are older so with used ones you might get some better tubes put in it but apart form that they are the same.
Gear
Carvin custum dc 747
Ibanez rg 520qs
Homemade Nocaster
Hofner violin bass
Hughes & Kettner Swithcblade 100 head
Ampeg v-4 412's (one with veteran 30's one with stock speakers)
Randall 412
Vintage Supra
ISP Decimater G-string
Actually ive heard that the 5150s are a little more raw sounding then the 6505s? Hm could just be a rumor though.
Guitar: Ibanez Rg 2ex2/ with Dizmarzio Super Distortion
Amp: Peavey Valveking 212 (replacing soon)
Pedals: Planet Waves Tuner, Boss DS-1, Digitech DF-7, MXR-108 EQ
It's just a rumor. Same amp, different name (just so that EVH wouldn't sue Peavey for trademark infringement after he parted ways with the company.)
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Eh who knows though, but most likely it is a rumor.
Guitar: Ibanez Rg 2ex2/ with Dizmarzio Super Distortion
Amp: Peavey Valveking 212 (replacing soon)
Pedals: Planet Waves Tuner, Boss DS-1, Digitech DF-7, MXR-108 EQ
they are the same. some people try to make the 5150 out to be better just because they are older and more "original" or some bullcrap. the same way people like only a band's old music just because of the fact that it was original back then when they started listening to it...or something like that lol
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by yocomobebes
Actually ive heard that the 5150s are a little more raw sounding then the 6505s? Hm could just be a rumor though.

I think you're thinking of the 5150/6505 vs the 5150 II/6505+. The 5150/6505 is supposed to be a bit more raw sounding. There is a difference, but it's a preference thing, they are more similar than not.

The idea was that the old block letter 5150 was superior to the signature versions. The only difference was actual block letters saying EVH on the faceplate, as opposed to Ed's signature written in the same place. The only thing that changed, was a different stock tube.

The 5150 and 6505 are the same amp, just as the 5150 II and 6505+ are the same amp. The name change happened because EVH left Peavey, and owned the rights to the name "5150".
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
They're the same.

As for the Blockletters, the only thing different about them is they came with better stock tubes, which shouldn't even be an issue since by now I'd hope it's had its stock tubes changed.

*edit* Dammit Eric!

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by yocomobebes
Eh who knows though, but most likely it is a rumor.

yeah its just a rumor. i have the 5150 II half stack and sounds almost the same has this guys 6505+ head. his makes a little more noise then mine but all in all its the same amp, same design, different name. thats it
'92 Mesa Dual Rectifier Blackface
Peavey 5150 II half stack
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Member of the Bugera Users Militia
the 5150/6505 have "slightly" more gain then the 5150 II/6505+

not really that noticeable at all. the 5150 II have an extra preamp tube in it to boost the clean channel and boost the crunch feature as well. and has seperate EQs for each channel. IMO the 5150s/6505s are slighty more raw then the 5150 II/6505+. but the II and + have a smoother sound to them.

i love my 5150 II head. have had it for going on 7 years now
'92 Mesa Dual Rectifier Blackface
Peavey 5150 II half stack
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Member of the Bugera Users Militia