Poll: EMG's or Blackouts?
Poll Options
View poll results: EMG's or Blackouts?
EMG-ZW Set.
12 33%
Seymour Duncan Blackouts.
24 67%
Voters: 36.
Im building and painting my own guitar i a few months. but im torn between these two pickups, blackouts and the Zakk Wylde set of EMG's. both are acvtive humbuckers, and thats where my knowledge ends. anyone with any experince with iether got any useful advice?
Well, the blackouts have a HELL of a lot more outpud, and midrange than the EMG's. Though they're not very good for clean playing. The EMGs sound better overall, but are quickly being dated by pickups like the Blackouts when it comes to metal. I'd say get the Blackouts if you play Metal, EMG's if you play alot of other shit.
the EMG's sound nearly, and by nearly i mean 99.99%, the same in any guitar.

blackouts rely on the body wood for their tone MUCH more. it's like having a passive pickup that acts as an active, but really IS an active.

I'd go with blackouts because you'll get a more unique sound, but if you like the EMG sound then get the EMG's.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
If you decide to go with EMG's, just buy an 81 and an 85. It's the same as buying the ZW set, it's just cheaper without his name on it
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Quote by cerveza
If you decide to go with EMG's, just buy an 81 and an 85. It's the same as buying the ZW set, it's just cheaper without his name on it

its actually $2 cheaper to buy the set

and what body wood is the guitar going to be made of ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Last edited by mikeyElite at Sep 3, 2008,
Quote by mikeyElite
its actually $2 cheaper to buy the set

and what body wood is the guitar going to be made of ?

Really?
when i bought mine it was like $50 more for the ZW set.

Quote by cerveza
Really?
when i bought mine it was like $50 more for the ZW set.

EMG's a piece are $105 and the ZW set is $208. its used to be a few dollars cheaper to buy them separately until they raised the price from $99 to $105.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
EMG's a piece are $105 and the ZW set is $208. its used to be a few dollars cheaper to buy them separately until they raised the price from $99 to $105.

That'd do it then
my guitar store must have marked up the ZW set a little more then, because i remember it was like $48 more for the set than buying them separately.

Quote by w0nk001
Well, the blackouts have a HELL of a lot more outpud, and midrange than the EMG's. Though they're not very good for clean playing. The EMGs sound better overall, but are quickly being dated by pickups like the Blackouts when it comes to metal. I'd say get the Blackouts if you play Metal, EMG's if you play alot of other shit.

EMG's being dated for metal? Blackout's are just an alternative, not a progression. And just no to EMG's if you play alot of other shit, if you play alot of other shit there are lots of really hot passive pickups that can clean up nicely, actives not so much so.
Quote by Moe.
*Reported*

Read the rules.

You've got a ton of work to do, based on my calculations. There are probably 70,000 threads in here that violate the rules in a similar manner.

Click away.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
not really sure whats wrong with ym post, but...anyway, sorry i have no idea what wood it is. its one of those cheap kits you out together yourself, im just assembliong and throwin paint on there. i mite get a seperate fret board, but aside from the pickups and some paint there wont be anythign special about it. but yeah whatever woods the second cheapest is what mine gonna be made out of...been playin for two years and know as much as a first day guitar student.
Quote by kaizerkhan13
not really sure whats wrong with ym post, but...anyway, sorry i have no idea what wood it is. its one of those cheap kits you out together yourself, im just assembliong and throwin paint on there. i mite get a seperate fret board, but aside from the pickups and some paint there wont be anythign special about it. but yeah whatever woods the second cheapest is what mine gonna be made out of...been playin for two years and know as much as a first day guitar student.

It's a 'vs.' thread. They're not allowed. I don't really agree with the rule either, but eh..
Signatures are overrated.
youre hgonna put good pickups into a cheap guitar? what a waste of money. i'd buy myself at least a half-decent gitar and put it in there.

emg's for me though. 18v mod it if you want to make it sound more passive with an emg bite
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Blackouts have more of a passive character, while with EMG's it's clear your playing actives.

Having tried both, if I had to choose one it'd be the EMG's. The Blackouts are good pickups but they have something I don't like, I don't know exactly what it is.

BTW, I wouldn't choose the ZW set. IMO the 81 / 60 combo is the best.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by bite_the_bullet
the EMG's sound nearly, and by nearly i mean 99.99%, the same in any guitar.

blackouts rely on the body wood for their tone MUCH more. it's like having a passive pickup that acts as an active, but really IS an active.

I'd go with blackouts because you'll get a more unique sound, but if you like the EMG sound then get the EMG's.

You've tried both I guess.
Quote by Moe.
*Reported*

Read the rules.

Shut it nub.
Quote by Moe.
It's a 'vs.' thread. They're not allowed. I don't really agree with the rule either, but eh..

If you do not agree, why do you report?
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
If you get the EMG's do the 18 volt mod when you install them. I did that mod on my Explorer and the EMG's sound even better now. It's hard to describe some people say they sound more open and like a passive pickup but better. I think the 18 volt mod helps the tone, too. It seems to have helped my guitar.
EMG with the 18volt mod. my old guitar had that OMG, i miss that guitar.

my nephew has a ESP/LTD Alexi Laiho 600 and it`s got an SD Blackout... honestly though my Marshall they sounded pretty much the same to me. the 81 and blackout are both ultra gain pickups and they both do metal VERY well. with the EMG sounding better clean, but who the hell buys an active pickup for cleans LOL.

anyone know if you can do the 18V mod to a blackout?