i am a super noob and dont even know if this belongs here but can someone give me a solid definition of preamps and what they do?

i looks on some sites and they have it as a little device u plug your mic into and on others its a huge speaker so please help a noob out...
Preamp is what does the actual modifications to the sound(eqing, gain, etcetera). As opposed to a power amp, which takes a signal and makes it louder.
i'm actually curious also.

so what you are saying is that the signal (let's say guitar for instance) goes into the preamp (EQ gain) and then into the power amp, and then it can go out into a speaker or is there something else that is needed?
yes tho, a preamp is Before the amplification, so like.
Guitar --> preamp(EQ, EFFECTS, SUCH)-->Amplification -->SPEAKERS
No, it's PART of the amp - the preamp bumps a signal up to line level, the power amp ramps it up further so it can drive speakers.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by l3estever
so when u look on sites for pa and the speakers show up thats a power amp?

Nope, that's a PA, and speakers are speakers.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Pre amps are used to amplify low level signals (e.g. from a guitar or microphone) to line level. Line level is the same as the output of keyboards and studio effects etc. Its also the level of signal that you can send into your computer for recording. Basically, Pre-amps make a guitar signal useable.

In guitar amps, the pre amp section is also what usually generates the distortion.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis