I'm being offered an Epiphone Les Paul Standard gold top. I don't have a date of manufacture and the headstock has an obvious repair done by a professional.

I was thinking of gettng a Les Paul style just to tool around on, but would this be worth it? I can spout Schecter info or even Fender info without a problem, but I haven't really done much looking at Les Pauls. My original thought was to possibly get an Epiphone Prophecy GX, but if this isn't a bad deal and I can save some money, why not? I have an idea of what I might offer for it (he purchased it for $350), but wanted to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
that's not a bad deal. one thing i noticed that it has grover tuners and that's always a plus. especially on an epiphone because not very many epiphone lp's have grovers so that might be a good sign right there that it's not a crap guitar and it might have some other nice features.

the problem i had with my epiphone was that i spent more money fixing it than i actually spent on buying it. i bought mine used for like $200 and spent $80 on the frets being redressed (and they are already worn away again) and then like $150 dollars on pickups and $20 dollars on a new toggle switch because the other one broke on me. so those are some things to consider.

but like you said, if it's a guitar you want to screw around on, then you probably won't have to worry about it. and $350 really isn't bad if he sells it for that price. and it seems like it's in good shape
I'd say $300, maybe $350 IF he can show you the receipt for the repair and verify it was a high quality job. They're only a little over $500 new, so that's a pretty fair price for both of you.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Well, I'm selling my Valveking stack since I moved into a smallish apartment. I don't really need another amp at the moment as I still have my Microcube and an Epiphone Valve Standard. I also don't gig, so the Valveking is extreme overkill. To be honest, it wouldn't hurt to have the money. I was thinking if I could talk him into under $300 (and everything else is ok other than the repair), and knock that off what I'm selling my Valveking for. He was originally interested in buying my amp and offered this in trade (and an Marshal AVT, but that I don't need at all).
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
i personal would just save another $200 dollar and get a new epi, that repaired headstock doesnt look very convincing. you just dont know when it's gonna pop and hit ur forehead and beside i dont think the guy spent a lotta cash on that repair job if he's gonna sell it for $350. gl!
Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
I wouldnt buy it either. That headstock crack doenst look good.
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II
Fender acoustic

Bass: Harley Benton HBB400TBK

Amp: Peavy valveking 112
Line6 POD HD500
that's not a gold top is it? that looks to me like a honeyburst.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Quote by syk3d
that's not a gold top is it? that looks to me like a honeyburst.

yeah, thats definitely not a gold top. Anyways, Sweet Looking Guitar!! I'd pay $250 with out even thinking about it. Now if was actually planning to buy a guitar, I'd go up to $350 no problem...
with a headstock crack like that, you really shouldnt pay over 250 for it. offer him 200 and dont budge. when he wont accept 200, walk away. call him 20 mins later and and offer him 250 as your final offer. if not, walk away.
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
I own that same guitar.

I paid $399.99 for it BRAND NEW at GC.

used + a wicked crack for $350.00? ~ I wouldn't pay more than $200.00 for that.
SRV R.I.P.
I wouldn't buy it at any price, to be honest. Headstock repairs make basically any instrument practically worthless.
For one, it's not a goldtop.
For two, it's a Chinese Epiphone. You can tell by the inlays and the truss cover.

I paid $200 for my MIK Epiphone LP Standard.
Don't go past $250, even with a hardshell.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Thanks for the quick responses. I did more research into it myself and I could easily get a used standard for less without a repair, and in many cases, with a HSC. I made my own error in saying "gold top." He in fact stated "gold honeyburst" which I had misquoted.

He's also not willing to budge, so back to selling my VK I guess. I made this thread in case I missed anything while I did the digging, and appreciate all the quick responses.
Last edited by Hakael at Sep 4, 2008,