Sorry if this has been posted before, I wasn't sure what to search for.

Anyway, in a very fast lick like this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------11-15-
--17-19-20-19-17-19-15-----17-19-17-15-17-13-----15-17-15-13-15-12-----13-------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

or this:

--17-----------------------------|---------------------17-19-20-19-17-|
----------20br---L---------19----|--17--------17-19-20----------------|
---------------------------------|------------------------------------|

S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S      Q.      Q.      Q     
--19-17----------------17-19-20-22-20-19-17-------|-------------------------|
--------20-19-17-19-20----------------------20-19-|--/17------19------20----|
--------------------------------------------------|-------------------------|

When you play up the fret board (going on to higher notes) do you keep your lower fingers on the frets since you will be going down shortly and not shifting position (too much) or do you lift up your fingers so only one finger contacts at a time?

Let me hear your thoughts.
If you're going to higher note's I would pick my fingers up to play each and be able to extend your reach. But if you're going lower I would keep my fingers in the position that they need to be in.
nah, unconsciously i always leave them pressing the frets.
i think i've read/heard that somewhere too, uhmm...
anyways, if you wanna do pull offs you need to do it, so...
Yeah, I guess if you are doing pull offs, you probably want to keep the fingers on.

But I guess you could do the same thing even if all the notes are alternate picked.
I would imagine leaving your fingers on the fretboard would be the more economical choice.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
When playing that high up the fretboard you really shouldn't have to shift your hand that much (especially in the second example). I'd recommend some hand-stretching exercises if you're having trouble.
Shifting wasn't the topic, it was leaving the fingers in place. I have no trouble stretching. It wasn't really a problem, it was just a matter of opinion.
Whoops - misread that. I'll just concur with what the other guys said.