Been hunting around for ages now. Ive been bouncing between the Orange Rocker 30 and Rockerverb 50 heads for a while now, but I cant try them till the end of the month.

Anyways, I play mostly in the style of Alice In Chains, Silversun Pickups, and so on.

My limit for the head is about 1900-2000. I would try to avoid going that high. In a perfect world, around 1300 would be ideal.

Of course, looking for valve amps only. Im pretty flexible with wattage, but I would like at least 30w.

Suggestions? let me know if you need more info.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Matamp, Electric Amps, Green Amps, and Black Amps. Oh, and Orange. All are GREAT for what you want and then some.

But you could also get an AC30H2 within your range and throw a b00teek dirt pedal in front of it and be in tone heaven.

There are a bunch of options, but I would say go for something between 30 and 50 watts because Power Tube distortion seems like a + for what you want.
Matamps? Arent those also orange or something like that?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Im in the US however, do they have dealers here?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Cantrell's Tone- extremely rare Fish Pre-amp responsible for many of the famous Alice in Chains sounds, as well as the Shiva and Ecstasy models. He also has a Peavey 5150 head

Brian Aubert Tone- Jcm 2000 and Fender HotRod DeVille
And here is a link to his pedalboard http://bp3.blogger.com/_OH-mvRY7jBU/RigMNck0wBI/AAAAAAAABIc/POXKGoWVKOM/s1600-h/sspu_5884.jpg

Hope that helps...
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Sep 4, 2008,
I knew about the Fish preamp, that one is obviously out of the question.

does brian aubert run those two amps in stereo?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
JCM 2000?

I havent heard the greatest things about that amp. Althought the Rob Math Gearwire demo makes it sound amazing. I dont know why people hate them so much.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
I knew about the Fish preamp, that one is obviously out of the question.

does brian aubert run those two amps in stereo?

Dont know but I have heard he runs to JCM 2000's from time to time..
Orange Rockerverb 50; It can do stuff from sweet jazzy chording to an onslaught of brutality.

Go look at Rob Chapper's Metal demo on youtube; just search for the Rockerverb and it's one of the first few vids. Or you could just look at Orange's website to see the artists that use the Rocker/Rockerverb series and see it varies from Pop acts and Punk groups to Metal acts.
I dont think one amp can get both those band's tones honestly.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
I dont expect it to. Those were just a few. More include the Pixies, Placebo, the weakerthans, etc. I think the rockerverb 50 still sounds the most versatile. I do like to get heavey every now and then, so the extra gain sage as opposed to the rocker 30 will come in handy. Also its a bit more modern voiced from what ive heard.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I would highly recommend a Mesa rectifier. A new single, or used (2 channel ) dual or triple would be great for what you're looking for.

All can be had for under $1,300. Or a rectoverb combo, which is the same amp with updated blues or clean channel (not 100% sure) for excellent prices.

Alice In Chains has a very recto tone IMO. And rectos, the 2 channel ones have a great clean channel as well, allen holdsworth used them for ages, and he's a jazz guy.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Jerry did use a Recto for Dirt, but it was a prototype and it was double tracked alongside a JCM800, hence why it's not your stereotypical recto tone. In all Honesty, I think the Rockerverb would do it well. I've played Rectos and find their tone stale and boring since it's so overused, whereas the Orange sound (while still used a lot) isn't and overused sound and kicks MAJOR ass. If you DO go the mesa route, I highly suggest the DC heads; they have the gain and low end Rectos have, but with insane clarity and articulation like the Mark series, with a really good clean channel (like Pseudo-Twin Reverb with the right settings).
I tried rectos, I didnt love them. They just sounded like 800 other bands ive heard. Not a bad thing, but im trying to find my own sound here. I have yet to try the marks yet. Are they discontinued?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I thought splawn were more modded plexi/jcm800 kind of amps?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412

You're looking at Orange amps. Those are essentially Marshall voiced amps...The Rocker 30 is not unlike a more gainy Plexi tone, and the Rockerverb 50 is definitely after those higher gain Marshall tones, like a gainy JCM800.

Anyway, the Splawn Quick Rod has 3 "gears" or voicings, and can do hot-rodded Plexi/JTM45, hot-rodded JCM800, or uber-steroid-packed JCM800.

THe 3rd gear gets pretty darn heavy. Easily can play heavy metal with.
The 2nd gear is already enough gain for me, able to hard rock easily. Sounds great. I was considering the Rockerverb until I tried out the Splawn.
Also look into a Peavey JSX, or Triple XXX, they have three Channels and both amps can do a convincing Marshall tone on the crunch channel and all the gain you would ever need on the Ultra. Just a thought, since you didn't like the Rectifier, and are needing a versatile amp capable of a couple gain structures, they sound equally as good as the Rectifiers, but have a different feel. The JSX is lower gain on the crunch channel and is great amp for any thing from classic rock to modern metal also is little more versatile with few more knobs to help you tweek for lead work. The Triple XXX is High gain on both channels, capable of classic rock, but not the best amp for that, its great for hair metal and EVH stuff, to modren high gain, if your less into classic rock, then this might be a better choice.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by Swap-Meet
IF you play Alice In Chains type of music, you're probably playing metal, without 5 minute long solos, so try and get a nice amp that is good for Sludge metal, and probably something that would sound well with 1970's / 80's metal.

MATAMP FTW!!!!.

Or: Orange Thunderverb.
I thought the old early 1990s grunge bands used old Fender twins and any other thrift-store amp they could find? Old tube Silvertones and the stuff like that?
Quote by Meddled
I thought the old early 1990s grunge bands used old Fender twins and any other thrift-store amp they could find? Old tube Silvertones and the stuff like that?

I dunno much about AiC, besides them playing good music, but I'm pretty sure that was only the bands that were part of the local seattle PUNK scene.

AiC was a metal band coming out of an area of bands that played progressive punk (Nirvana, Mudhoney, Tad, etc..) rock, and they were a prog metal band, so they got the label of a grunge band.
Are splawns usually in stores, or is it more just a boutique deal?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
Are splawns usually in stores, or is it more just a boutique deal?

Special order only.
I see. That makes it hard to really hear them then. Youtube videos never sound great, even the mic'd ones.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412