I need a 4 chord progression including Em and Am, but I can't find a scale that includes them both. I the only one's I can find are Major scales (7th, 9th etc.). I don't need exactly those tow, any sort of similar sounding variation is good. It'd be helpful if ou could also include a good scale to accompany it. (Pentatonic, Ionian etc)

Thanks
Am scale? (natural minor)
triads are...
Am Bdim C Dm Em F G

EDIT:
Or you could use the relative major C Major

Or Em or Gmajor

All those scales have both Em and Am triads in them. Then you would play lead with the same scale.

In Em you could opt for the harmonic minor as opposed to the natural minor. This would give you the B-Em option for stronger resolution.

Something like Em C Am B and solo over that with the Em pentatonic scale, or the E melodic minor.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Sep 4, 2008,
What you threw out there is nice and general. You could easily base it off of the i chord and the iv minor chord which would make a nice minor progression, or you could make the A the root and have it become the i chord then you have a v minor chord, which the cadential concepts between the two are very strong, what style of song are you trying to write because Am and Em makes me think something along the lines of mars volta stylisticly. . . those two chords are like lasagna, you can make almost anything sound good with them.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Hmm, that's probably my problem. Everytime I tried to mix in other chords they all gave me a similar feel and I wasn't sure what worked.
Any book trying to give a basis for knowledge on music theory will usually throw a progression like that at you first. . . you could invert some of the chords to try to make it a little more unique. . . I think the mars volta the widow was just an a minor chord and an e minor chord, I can't remember how it sounded though, possibly and E major. . . then I think jazzy like a i vi ii v iv progression or something along those lines and you could fit it around those chords as well, it just depends on what style you are trying to hit.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris