Well, in 25 days I'll get the first installment of my student loan. Looking to 'upgrade' my amp. I was thinking about buying:

- Blackheart Little Giant head
- Epiphone Valve Jnr. 1 x 12 Cabinet
- EHX Metal Muff Pedal

Looking for tones close to Metallica. I play an ESP LTD EX-400 with EMG 81/60. Will this set up give me the necessary gain and what not for Metallica-esque metal?

I'm looking to spend no morr than £250, that totals up to £235.

Thanks.
the beauty of student loans.
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
not the metal muff imo.

go for a tubescreamer.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
It's not blowing my student loan, it's a small part of it. And I'm studying music so it means it's kind of for my course...
Quote by TK1
not the metal muff imo.

go for a tubescreamer.

I don't think a tubescreamer would get you Metallica-level gain. Maybe if you crank the amp to full - and then it's too bloody loud. So I'd say get the Metal Muff.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Unless your college has terrible amps, you might as well use those ones. My college has a few Vox AD's and they suck pretty hard, but it's better than bringing a rig in every day.
Last edited by Horlicks at Sep 4, 2008,
I will be using the ones at Uni (note uni, it annoys me when people call it a college, I gues I didn't specify). This will be for home use and recording at home.
That setup isn't a good metal setup. That amp isn't very tight at all. It's quite bad for metal. I'd go for a ROland CUbe 30 or so for metal...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
That setup isn't a good metal setup. That amp isn't very tight at all. It's quite bad for metal. I'd go for a ROland CUbe 30 or so for metal...

+1

Oh and I just now saw your sig Gabe and I agree 100% on EVERYTHING, it really annoys me when people think that way.

Gabe's sig =

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'll just save it then. I'm playing through a Randall RX75 at the moment and I'm happy enough with the tone. Thanks for the help.
if you have extra money from your student loans, then your getting too many loans. you do realize you will be paying those back, plus interest, right?
i know i take out lots and lots of students loans and it all goes for my tuition. its killing me trying to keep up with the payments of old loans from another school.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by MatrixClaw
+1

Oh and I just now saw your sig Gabe and I agree 100% on EVERYTHING, it really annoys me when people think that way.

Gabe's sig =

mr. carrot is actually the author of that one.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
mr. carrot is actually the author of that one.

Well then...

Mr. Carrot =

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yeah well I decided to put it in my sig, because well, we NEED to burn the bandwagons!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by chea_man
if you have extra money from your student loans, then your getting too many loans. you do realize you will be paying those back, plus interest, right?
i know i take out lots and lots of students loans and it all goes for my tuition. its killing me trying to keep up with the payments of old loans from another school.

The money I would actually be spending is from grants and bursaries, which I don't have to pay back. Yay for living in Scotland, where tuition fees are payed by the government.
Quote by webbtje
You're going to blow your student loan... on an amp.

OK.

I blew mine on my RG
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com