I tried a Jazz bass for the first time yesterday, nothing fancy, just a mexican standard. I have to say I have mixed emotions about it. I was surprised by the neck, Despite it looking thin it doesn't feel awkward to play. It's definatly a bass for articulate bassists, for playing complicated stuff maybe, or for actually playing Jazz etc. Plus it'd be really good for slappers - you can just about hear the "popping" sound when you've got both pickups on, even when you're not slapping. the bridge looked pretty good aswell, It had those little grooves in it so you don't get that "flappy" feeling you sometimes get from cheap basses where the saddle's just a bar.
bad points-wise, The thing that put me off it was the sound you get doesn't really have an edge - it's much too mellow for me, I'd imagine if you were just standing playing rootnotes it would quickly become boring, cos the sound doesn't really thunder. The action was quite high on it - I think that was for slapping, And you could probably sort it dead easy if you didn't like it. also, The price kind of put me off - I think if you rubbed out the name on the headstock I would've probably estimated an instrument half the price, Or at least below the £200 mark.

I just thought I'd share my oppinion with yous lot. Although you probably all own or have played jazzes countless times anyway haha. I think it's a good bass, but not to my tastes.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Sep 4, 2008,
Js can be quite aggressive sounding if you solo the bridge, raise the pickup and play hard. It's also worth noting the pickups in the standard aren't all that.
aye, I didn't mess around with the amp settings eithier - I just flat-lined the EQ. But it seemed to just sound so laid back and cool, it didn't matter where the tone knob was.
So, you didn't EQ it, and you played it with presumably the pickups both even and you got no edge? I'm not surprised. The beauty of a jazz is when you start blending the pickups. Yes, I find they get a decent sound on even, but the true colours of a jazz are with a blend. As for the action, that must be how Fender sends them from the factory, for whatever reason. Really, it's worthless. Every MIM Jazz I've ever played has that really high action like that too.
well, I did plenty of twidling of the knobs on the guitar, even if it was in a pretty random fashion haha. is a jazz bass wired so that when one volume knob's at zero, you'll get no sound (like a LP with the switch in the middle) ie: parrallel?

If so, how do you solo the bridge pickup?
Why do Fenders come so badly set up? I bet they'd sell a lot more if they felt better to play in the store. (IME) Schecter and Warwick put them to shame, among other brands
Yeah, absolutely. I have no idea. The weird thing is I've looked at the website for setup, and the standard setup is deadly low action and a really straight truss rod. That's what I find the most baffling.
Jazzes are brilliant. When I first looked at one I thought it would be uncomfortbale due to the thing neck and large body but when I played it it was excellent. Even through my crappy practise amp (20w) I can make a decent tone. The only problem I have with it is I like to play right on the neck but the fretboard doesnt stick out from the body enough for me to rest my thumb on but this will be solved once I make a thumb rest.
I had a quick look at the wiring daigram, They do it wierdly, The pickup's are still in parrallel but the volume knobs are wired differently so you still get a sound when one of them's at 0.

also, I think part of the reason It didn't sound aggresive is you're in a shop, you can't really let rip and play it hard, I'm always scared incase something'll happen EG: breaking a string, scratch the finish etc. i was just playing my bass acousticly there and most of my tone comes from my right hand (sorry if that sounds pretentious, I don't consider myself an amazing bass player) I do play quite agressively, At least when I'm not in the shop haha
Quote by Deliriumbassist
^ I hate playing in shops myself. I get shopfright Stage, fine. Busking, fine. Shop? No way in hell

100% agree I get the feeling other people are thinking "pfft what a stupid guy" or "hes rubbish!" I don't know why I just seem to.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Slightly silly question, but does the Squier Jazz bass feel anything like the Fender? I tried the Squier out that was lying around in a studio and I really didn't like it. The strings were too close together and it felt breakable.
^^^ Squier are cheaper simply cos of cheaper parts and manufacture so they dont sound quite as good as a Fender (but still kick ass) but the design is the same.
Quote by BrickIsRed
Slightly silly question, but does the Squier Jazz bass feel anything like the Fender? I tried the Squier out that was lying around in a studio and I really didn't like it. The strings were too close together and it felt breakable.

It might have been an "affinity" model. The "Standard" models are made exactly the same size as a real fender, but with different woods, whereas affinities are made with wood similar to a real fender, but they make them slightly smaller so they use less of it.

Is that correct? could someone confirm/refute that for me?
hahaa, whenever I play in a shop, i go completely blank, and dont know what to play. i end up just playing a few scales and then going nuts on a slap bass improv solo. ive actually impressed a few people, which lifts the tension a hell of a lot hahaa

Sanity is not statistical
I played a 2008 MIA Jazz in Leicester when I went to the uni's open day, and I have to say when Jazzes have been properly set up they're much nicer. I'm going to get my action lowered as soon as I get a new set of strings.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by jimRH7
It might have been an "affinity" model. The "Standard" models are made exactly the same size as a real fender, but with different woods, whereas affinities are made with wood similar to a real fender, but they make them slightly smaller so they use less of it.

Is that correct? could someone confirm/refute that for me?

Well I have my old 07 affinity P bass and it felt like it had the same body size as a MIA I tried a couple of days ago.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Lucky dicks! I can never get the courage to pick up a MIA. In my local shop, there is a really nice precision, in what I remember to be a slate gray color. everytime I see it, it calls out to me, a beautiful instrument, but no, never. I can play the three Affinity P's though.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
When I decided to play bass after playing guitar for 15 years, for some reason I got my heart SET on a Jazz bass. I bought a Mexican Standard, and I absolutely ADORE it.

The action is super low, the pickup heights are the perfect balance for both fingering and slapping, and the neck is super fast. I daresay I will buy a Precision or a Stingray as well for more *Thunder*, but I will never sell my jazz unless for some crazy reason I decide to stop playing bass.

Mexican or not, it is a beautiful instrument, and beats the hell out of ANY squier, even that bally-hooed Vintage Modified Jazz.

That being said, the Vintage Modified Squier series in GENERAL is VERy good for what you pay. You typically get better pickups than craftsmanship tho, so be prepared for a bass that won't feel as good in your hands.

My motto is,l you can replace sub-par standard pickups, but you can't substitute the shitty neck/body off the squiers, nor get the fender name on the headstock ;p
I played a Jazz American Standard today, i was really looking forward to it, but i wasnt as impressed as i expected to be for £979.. The neck and frets felt quite wide and i resented there only being 19 of them; as someone else mentioned, the action was pretty high, too high imo, but this is due to Fender's poor shop setup?

My main worry was that the tone it produced was quite tinny and sharp, I had to eq bass up pretty far to get a nice warm tone. I wondered if this might be the strings though? I think theyr pretty old as the bass has been in the shop for about a year and a bit, can anyone confirm that with a new set the tone is better or w/e?
Oh and is there a noticeable drop in quality between the American Standard and the Mexican? cause i dont have £900..
Quote by the humanity
You will be the High Lowlord's High Lowlife!

Ibanez EDB 550
Laney RB6
I played a Jazz American Standard today, i was really looking forward to it, but i wasnt as impressed as i expected to be for £979.. The neck and frets felt quite wide and i resented there only being 19 of them; as someone else mentioned, the action was pretty high, too high imo, but this is due to Fender's poor shop setup?

My main worry was that the tone it produced was quite tinny and sharp, I had to eq bass up pretty far to get a nice warm tone. I wondered if this might be the strings though? I think theyr pretty old as the bass has been in the shop for about a year and a bit, can anyone confirm that with a new set the tone is better or w/e?
Oh and is there a noticeable drop in quality between the American Standard and the Mexican? cause i dont have £900..[/QUOTE] The MIAs feel a little nicer quality but not enough to justify paying over twice the price of the standard. The Standard(Mexican) is a bargain and is very well constructed. I have a Mexican Jazz and the craftmanship on it is superb.
Squier VM TB Bass
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Quote by Ouch_needles
The MIAs feel a little nicer quality but not enough to justify paying over twice the price of the standard. The Standard(Mexican) is a bargain and is very well constructed. I have a Mexican Jazz and the craftmanship on it is superb.

Personally, I think the MIAs sound and feel far better than the MIM. Either way, if you are going to use a Jazz bass as your primary axe, surely it is best to pay a bit more to get the best out of it?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack

Personally, I think the MIAs sound and feel far better than the MIM. Either way, if you are going to use a Jazz bass as your primary axe, surely it is best to pay a bit more to get the best out of it?

I agree and if i had the money to, i would, but theres a marked difference between £339 and £979... £640 worth of it! I just wondered if this translated into a major difference in quality; from what people have said it sounds as though the difference isnt too much so testing the more expensive one will still have given me a good idea of what the cheaper one will be like
Quote by the humanity
You will be the High Lowlord's High Lowlife!

Ibanez EDB 550
Laney RB6
Quote by Ouch_needles
I agree and if i had the money to, i would, but theres a marked difference between £339 and £979... £640 worth of it! I just wondered if this translated into a major difference in quality; from what people have said it sounds as though the difference isnt too much so testing the more expensive one will still have given me a good idea of what the cheaper one will be like

The difference is a lot actually. MIA have better woods, better electronics, better pickups, the new high mass bridge, graphite enforced neck, maple necks if you like them, 30% lighter tuning machines and even more precise and better craftmanship.
Quote by watchingmefall
The difference is a lot actually. MIA have better woods, better electronics, better pickups, the new high mass bridge, graphite enforced neck, maple necks if you like them, 30% lighter tuning machines and even more precise and better craftmanship.
Well I havent't tried the 08's. My local music store only had the leftover 07's. I'll be sure to play an 08 sooner or later.
Squier VM TB Bass
Play an '08 American standard Fretless Jazz, and your soul will be lost to fender forever. Seriously.
Oh and is there a noticeable drop in quality between the American Standard and the Mexican? cause i dont have £900..[/QUOTE]

They do a range that's sort of in-between american and mexican. Highway 1's I think they're called, I've never played one though...

Other than that, what about 2nd hand?
Quote by Anjohl
Play an '08 American standard Fretless Jazz, and your soul will be lost to fender forever. Seriously.

Doesn't even have to be fretless, if the opportunity arises, I'll happily swap my 2007 Jazz for the 2008 model.

I would miss my S-1 switch though.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by Anjohl
I played an 'O8 american standard today and it was WAY better than the 07 i tried out a couple of weeks ago! Everything about it was so much better. Now I have G.A.S. for an American Standard.
Squier VM TB Bass

Plus it'd be really good for slappers -

I LOL'd at this
Bass....How low can you go?????