Page 1 of 2
I'd have to say 1967. There were so many classic releases from that year: Are You Experienced and Axis: Bold as Love by Hendrix, the Doors' self-titled debut, Sgt. Pepper's, Pink Floyd's debut, Disraeli Gears by Cream, The Velvet Underground & Nico, and many others.

What do you guys think the best year for classic rock was, and why?
yes ur right Jgov05 i think that aswell disraeli gears is my favourite album, but you left captain beefheart safe as milk.
That would completely depend on what year is the end point for what you consider to be classic rock? Cause now most classic rock stations play 90's music so if you consider 90's to be classic rock now, that is the best period for music. The 90's had the biggest number of great bands. Otherwise, late 60's early 70's would be the best period of music if the 90's are excluded.
Quote by king231510
That would completely depend on what year is the end point for what you consider to be classic rock? Cause now most classic rock stations play 90's music so if you consider 90's to be classic rock now, that is the best period for music. The 90's had the biggest number of great bands. Otherwise, late 60's early 70's would be the best period of music if the 90's are excluded.

Can I share some of your wacky weed?
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.
Yeah, the 60's may have had a couple truely great bands, but as far as bands that really stand the test of time, beatles, hendrix...thats all I would really say was great great music and not just a product of the era, like doors or janis joplin, people make a bigger deal out of them then they really deserve. As far as the 90's you could name the most bands that are still going to be relevant 30 years from now...Nirvana, Metallica, RHCP, Radiohead, Pearl Jam, u2, Rage Against the Machine, STP,.....the list goes on. The 60's was mainly just a bunch of psychodelic rock with a couple of bright stops, 70's was disco(we'll just pretend that didnt happen)80's was glam rock, hair bands. The 90's really didnt have a stupid theme like all of the other eras. And in the 90's MTV actually mattered still, it was a great time for just music, without all that other stupid shit. Didnt have to be on acid to enjoy it, didnt have to be in rainbow colored rollerskates, or have men wearing a giant wig, with more make-up then women. And now-a-days we get emo **** rock where every bands sounds exactly the same. So even if by default, the 90's seems like the obvious choice.
^ I'm not going to even waste time to argue with you.

But...
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
I'd say '67 or '68
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
1967 is of course a great answer. But I find 1969 to be even better. For an example you had big groups releasing some great albums. The Beatles went out with a bang with Abbey Road, Rolling Stones released Let It Bleed and also played the Hyde Park Concert, shortly after having lost Brian Jones. Fleetwood Mac released Then Play On, by some regarded their best work. Creedence kicked into ull gear and released three albums that year, all of which are among their best. The Band's self titled album and The Who did their first rock opera and possibly their greatest work with Tommy.

We also saw many new bands, like the debut of Allman Bros, The Stooges, David Bowie (who released Space Oddity), Santana, Blind Faith's only album, MC5 released Kick Out The Jams and 1969 also saw the debut of Led Zeppelin, who not only released their first album, but also
their second and perhaps their best one: Led Zeppelin II

This was also the year that the most famous music festical ever was held. I am of course speaking of Woodstock!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by king231510
As long as you are using this forum, the time period is 1960-1984.

Quote by slidething31

But...
+1
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
I consider 1966 to be my favourite year of music. A lot of great songs/albums was released that year:

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (perhaps my favourite album of all time)
The Beatles - Revolver
Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde
Rolling Stones- Aftermath
The Kinks- Face To Face
The Byrds - Fifth Dimension
Cream - Fresh Cream

And many many more.
Quote by Gabel
1967 is of course a great answer. But I find 1969 to be even better. For an example you had big groups releasing some great albums. The Beatles went out with a bang with Abbey Road, Rolling Stones released Let It Bleed and also played the Hyde Park Concert, shortly after having lost Brian Jones. Fleetwood Mac released Then Play On, by some regarded their best work. Creedence kicked into ull gear and released three albums that year, all of which are among their best. The Band's self titled album and The Who did their first rock opera and possibly their greatest work with Tommy.

We also saw many new bands, like the debut of Allman Bros, The Stooges, David Bowie (who released Space Oddity), Santana, Blind Faith's only album, MC5 released Kick Out The Jams and 1969 also saw the debut of Led Zeppelin, who not only released their first album, but also
their second and perhaps their best one: Led Zeppelin II

This was also the year that the most famous music festical ever was held. I am of course speaking of Woodstock!

Agreed, '69 was great. I'd add Woodstock to the list, and Get Yer Ya-yas out too.
Monterey was better
I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit.
^Agreed, but still I find 1969 to have been a better year. It was the last year of psychedelic rock and it went out WITH A BANG! But yeah 1967 and 1966 are great too! And Zydar you forgot the Bluesbreakers album!

Quote by master
Agreed, '69 was great. I'd add Woodstock to the list, and Get Yer Ya-yas out too.

Get Yer Ya-yas was from 1970.

Oh and I added Woodstck on there...
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

^^It was recorded on the '69 tour though. Could go either way
Quote by Thefallofman
1973 - Dark Side of the Moon, Led Zeppelin on full-power and other good stuff.
Nasty prisms, good Sir!!!
Any of the late 60s years is a good choice. Woodstock boosts '69's importance for me though.
'69...just because of all the blistering live shows (eg woodstock)

plus the best joni mitchell album (imo) Clouds came out

Pot
Kettle
Black
Quote by BrainDamage
^^It was recorded on the '69 tour though. Could go either way

True that though.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

1980 was pretty awesome. Back in Black,British Steel etc. but it was also the worst year for classic rock in many ways. (rip bonzo)
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by marvelboy_04
1980 was pretty awesome. Back in Black,British Steel etc. but it was also the worst year for classic rock in many ways. (rip bonzo)

And Lennon. And the beginning of the end for Bob Marley
I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by metalfan#3
I agree with 1973 as well, it's my favorite year for Dead performances.
I need more early 70s Dead. The Hundred Year Hall live album (which I'm listening to right now) is killer. I guess with this new 500 GB and the fact that I downloaded nearly every possible Black Crowes show on the web, I can move on to the Dead.

'73 deserves a mention, if for Dark Side and Quadrophenia alone.
Quote by Thefallofman
It's definitely '67 for me. I mean VU and Nico, Axis, Sgt. Pepper, The Doors, Forever Changes, Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Safe as Milk, The Who Sell Out, Disraeli Gears, Absolutely Free, the list goes on and on.

But '68 and '69 are very close. '69 might even be a better year for music in general. But as far as classic rock goes, I'll stick with '67.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
Quote by BrainDamage
I need more early 70s Dead. The Hundred Year Hall live album (which I'm listening to right now) is killer. I guess with this new 500 GB and the fact that I downloaded nearly every possible Black Crowes show on the web, I can move on to the Dead.

'73 deserves a mention, if for Dark Side and Quadrophenia alone.

I know your favorite period for shows is '77, '78, and that's killer as well. I'd definitely go for some late '73 shows though, those are definitely my favorite. A lot more jam medleys.
^^I'll just wait for the entire tour to finish being uploaded. So far on etree they've got the entire '65-'66, '67, '69, '71, '72, '75, '77, and '80 tours available for download in parts, and '73 is on it's way. I've got part one of the '77 tour downloading now.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by JDZYX
Every year a Zeppelin album was released.

Agreed!
Roman - DCLXVI
Binary - 1010011010
Octal - 1232
Hexadecimal - 29A
Base32 - KQ
Base36 - 11
Quote by Bunson666
Agreed!

That makes the year I find the best (1969) to be the best Led Zeppelin year, because you had TWO studio albums (1976 had Presence and Song Remains The Same though), but the first two are among the band's best!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by king231510
The 90's really didnt have a stupid theme like all of the other eras. And in the 90's MTV actually mattered still, it was a great time for just music, without all that other stupid shit.

Backstreet Boys anyone?

Staying on topic, I would probably go '73. Dark Side, Quadrophenia, Machine Head, Berlin, Larks' Tongues In Aspic, Houses of the Holy...

Plus all the great non-classic rock releases liked Headhunters, Superfly, Innervisions, Fresh, Let's Get It On, On The Corner, Pieces of A Man, Funky Kingston, Future Days, I could go on forever.
Last edited by ohhey9040 at Sep 8, 2008,
Quote by slidething31

But...

stop it. our friend here is, in fact, quite right. as stupid as many of his arguments are, his main point remains true. no, the 90s aren't classic rock, but the 60's and 70's are ridiculously overrated, music-wise. sure, it had its deal of great bands, i'm not denying that, but as far as music goes, most bands and artists from that era are more recognized for their myth, rather than their music (whatever jimi hendrix did to his guitar, how many drugs jim morrison took or how exciting the time period in itself was is irrelevant when it comes to objectively analyzing the music, face it).

now let us take a look at the time period 1985-99. as long as we are talking about music, and not just rock music, this decade had a lot more to offer. hip-hop had its golden age in the late 80's and the 90's. the music hip-hop groups and artists produced at this time was just as creative and forward thinking as rock music 65-70 and the lyrics had just as much, if not more, social criticism. at the same time alternative and indie music was reaching it's peak as well. sonic youth, pavement, dinosaur jr, nirvana, fugazi (if you want to count them in with other alternative bands), my bloody valentine, pearl jam, stone roses, pixies, primal scream, slint, oasis, rem, beck, liz phair, radiohead (i could go on forever) all produced absolute masterpieces of music during this era.

furthermore, electronica was evolving like never before and breaking into the mainstream. and no, making good electronic music is not easy. some electronic musicians are far superior to many rock musicians when it comes to musical knowledge.so as far as music goes, the time period 1985-99 was just as forward thinking and musicially groundbreaking as 1965-79 and i am very tired of classic rock elitists claiming it wasn't.

edit: on-topic, '67 is my favourite. that or '75.
Last edited by trackmind at Sep 10, 2008,
Quote by trackmind
stop it. our friend here is, in fact, quite right. as stupid as many of his arguments are, his main point remains true. no, the 90s aren't classic rock, but the 60's and 70's are ridiculously overrated, music-wise. sure, it had its deal of great bands, i'm not denying that, but as far as music goes, most bands and artists from that era are more recognized for their myth, rather than their music (whatever jimi hendrix did to his guitar, how many drugs jim morrison took or how exciting the time period in itself was is irrelevant when it comes to objectively analyzing the music, face it).

now let us take a look at the time period 1985-99. as long as we are talking about music, and not just rock music, this decade had a lot more to offer. hip-hop had its golden age in the late 80's and the 90's. the music hip-hop groups and artists produced at this time was just as creative and forward thinking as rock music 65-70 and the lyrics had just as much, if not more, social criticism. at the same time alternative and indie music was reaching it's peak as well. sonic youth, pavement, dinosaur jr, nirvana, fugazi (if you want to count them in with other alternative bands), my bloody valentine, pearl jam, stone roses, pixies, primal scream, slint, oasis, rem, beck, liz phair, radiohead (i could go on forever) all produced absolute masterpieces of music during this era.

furthermore, electronica was evolving like never before and breaking into the mainstream. and no, making good electronic music is not easy. some electronic musicians are far superior to many rock musicians when it comes to musical knowledge.so as far as music goes, the time period 1985-99 was just as forward thinking and musicially groundbreaking as 1965-79 and i am very tired of classic rock elitists claiming it wasn't.

edit: on-topic, '67 is my favourite. that or '75.

But that's taking just the classic rock section compared to many other genres. Within your arguement you're arguing about hip hop, indie and electronica, well with in the time frame of classic rock several genres were at their peak or nearing them such as jazz, blues, country, folk, soul as well as several others. And no matter what you say Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, Hendrix, Dylan, and many others are going to be more influential and have shaped the course of music more than most of those you listed. (Apart from the hip hop groups, i accept that NWA, Public Enemy, Run DMC are hugely influential. Other than that the only ones who are anywhere near the same league are Nirvana.)
Quote by JimmyStradlin33
But that's taking just the classic rock section compared to many other genres. Within your arguement you're arguing about hip hop, indie and electronica, well with in the time frame of classic rock several genres were at their peak or nearing them such as jazz, blues, country, folk, soul as well as several others. And no matter what you say Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, Hendrix, Dylan, and many others are going to be more influential and have shaped the course of music more than most of those you listed. (Apart from the hip hop groups, i accept that NWA, Public Enemy, Run DMC are hugely influential. Other than that the only ones who are anywhere near the same league are Nirvana.)

I disagree with that last statement. I think a lot of the bands from the '85-'99 period are/will be just as influential as all of the classic rock groups. For example, the electronica scene of the mid to late '90s, particularly DJ Shadow, Boards of Canada, and Aphex Twin, hugely influenced Radiohead on Kid A and Amnesiac, which both were huge in introducing electronic music to a rock audience. And Radiohead for that matter. They have been a huge influence on so many bands, specifically Coldplay, Muse, and Keane, among others.

Pavement have influenced about 95% of the indie bands going right now with their slacker attitude and catchy as hell songwriting. Jeff Buckley has been acknowledged by many famous musicians, including Thom Yorke, Bono, and even Robert Plant and Jimmy Page. I could go on, but I think my point is made. The mid 80s-90s have had just as big of an influence on todays music, and I think some of these classic rock elitists should stop being so narrow minded and acknowledge that classic rock isn't the be all end all of music.
Quote by ohhey9040
I think some of these classic rock elitists should stop being so narrow minded and acknowledge that classic rock isn't the be all end all of music.

You are in the Classic Rock forum...
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Quote by ohhey9040
I disagree with that last statement. I think a lot of the bands from the '85-'99 period are/will be just as influential as all of the classic rock groups. For example, the electronica scene of the mid to late '90s, particularly DJ Shadow, Boards of Canada, and Aphex Twin, hugely influenced Radiohead on Kid A and Amnesiac, which both were huge in introducing electronic music to a rock audience. And Radiohead for that matter. They have been a huge influence on so many bands, specifically Coldplay, Muse, and Keane, among others.

Pavement have influenced about 95% of the indie bands going right now with their slacker attitude and catchy as hell songwriting. Jeff Buckley has been acknowledged by many famous musicians, including Thom Yorke, Bono, and even Robert Plant and Jimmy Page. I could go on, but I think my point is made. The mid 80s-90s have had just as big of an influence on todays music, and I think some of these classic rock elitists should stop being so narrow minded and acknowledge that classic rock isn't the be all end all of music.

Ok i lie i take back that statement. All i'm saying is that pretty much whichever band your listening to will probably be able to trace their influences back to the beatles or the stones or most likely both. I don't think that there will ever be bands as influential as the beatles, not necessarily through lack of quality or talent or anything, just because they were first. In a similar way that Shakespeare is regarded as such a great writer, even though others that have come after are also equally brilliant/ arguably better they'll never have the same level of influence. Also i don't think classic rock is the be all and end all of music. It's more than that
Quote by JimmyStradlin33
All i'm saying is that pretty much whichever band your listening to will probably be able to trace their influences back to the beatles or the stones or most likely both. I don't think that there will ever be bands as influential as the beatles, not necessarily through lack of quality or talent or anything, just because they were first.

see, this is where you are wrong. how were the beatles or the rolling stones "first"? chuck berry was before them. or buddy holly. and muddy waters was before those two. or elvis presley. hank williams? once again, i could go on forever and at the end of this page i would be referring to some caveman ten thousand years ago in africa, playing some kind of drum and singing along with it. but how is it of any importance, really?

and yeah, sure. hank williams isn't anythng like the beatles, but would you argue that radiohead (think kid a) are anything like the beatles? if you'd go back to the 60's, where would you be able to hear something like mogwai or sigur ros? are queens of the stone age anything like the rolling stones? sure, you could find similarities, i'm not denying that. but they are far from the same. for example, early beatles are similar to buddy holly, i'd say. and the rolling stones are obviously influenced by muddy waters. but it's all very irrelevant to me to. nobody has ever come up with an entirely original idea, everybody gets their shit from somewhere, and that includes the beatles and the rolling stones.
Last edited by trackmind at Sep 13, 2008,
Being sandwiched between '67 and '69, '68 often gets overlooked. Some standout releases include Electric Ladyland by Hendrix, Music From Big Pink by The Band, and Astral Weeks by Van Morrison, all of which had significant impact on both popular artists of the time, and the musicians who would follow. And though Kick Out The Jams was released in 69, the show that was the source for the album took place on Oct 30, 68. I'm sure there are other great releases I'm forgetting about right now.
Quote by trackmind
see, this is where you are wrong. how were the beatles or the rolling stones "first"? chuck berry was before them. or buddy holly. and muddy waters was before those two. or elvis presley. hank williams? once again, i could go on forever and at the end of this page i would be referring to some caveman ten thousand years ago in africa, playing some kind of drum and singing along with it. but how is it of any importance, really?

and yeah, sure. hank williams isn't anythng like the beatles, but would you argue that radiohead (think kid a) are anything like the beatles? if you'd go back to the 60's, where would you be able to hear something like mogwai or sigur ros? are queens of the stone age anything like the rolling stones? sure, you could find similarities, i'm not denying that. but they are far from the same. for example, early beatles are similar to buddy holly, i'd say. and the rolling stones are obviously influenced by muddy waters. but it's all very irrelevant to me to. nobody has ever come up with an entirely original idea, everybody gets their shit from somewhere, and that includes the beatles and the rolling stones.

And before chuck berry there was howling wolf, and before him robert johnson and son house and before them, many others i'm sure. My point is that no one before or since has come close to the success of the beatles. Whilst people like chuck berry and muddy waters were very popular in England at that time it was very hard to get hold of their music. I'm pretty sure that radiohead themselves would claim they were influenced by the beatles. As would probably many other groups around now, who make popular/rock music. But rightly as you say, everyone gets their ideas from somewhere. I know this all boils down to personal opinion and i'm not looking to get into an arguement as you seem to be more intelligent a poster than most on these forums, but for me i think that the music of 65-75 is more influential.
Page 1 of 2